#1 sleepyguy

sleepyguy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

for my investigation equipment, I have the following:

Life Extension, Cell Sensor Gauss Meter (purchased through a seller on Amazon)

Actron CP7875 PocketTherm Infrared Thermometer

Olympus VN3100PC Digital Voice Recorder w/ Olympus ME-15 Microphone (small clip mic)

Fuji FinePix S series camera (3.1 or 3.3 megapixel, I think its the 2300, I dont have it on me)

(unsure of the other models of cameras taken)

Moleskine notepads (mini-books with squares for sketching when necessary)

Pencils and Pens

1 White LED mini Maglite

1 White bulb mini Maglite

1 2 Cell white bulb Maglite

2 Rayovac Headlamps w/ Bulb, White LED and Red LED options

First Aid Kit

Any of several different pocket knives for multipurpose use

My brother also brings a 4 cell Maglite, and a friend a 5 cell, for use where we go, as it is out in the middle of BFE, and the only light available is from a fickle moon (somehow, the moon always finds a cloud to hide behind, even when the night started our clear), and the abandoned mill has some inner areas where we occasionally go into at night.

I am currently considering some form of Night Vision monocular device and a GPS unit (since this area is off the beaten path). I typically bring a pair of standard binoculars in case we see someone else arriving from a distance, so I can get an idea if the people are friendly or if we should leave (we've ran into self proclaimed occultists and other various shady characters up there, but most often they are just stupid kids looking to tag the buildings).

One item I have yet to purchase, but will be purchasing is a compass.

Is there anything else you would recommend?

#2 cedric

cedric

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

It looks like you're doing a lot of outdoor work. You may want to look into an ion counter and a small portable barometer. They are vital (IMO) for exterior investigations and are useful indoors too.

#3 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

A couple things to remember here:

1. Your infrared thermometer is only good for measuring surface temperatures. You will not get cold spots in the air using a unit like this (the unit may say you are, but will actually being providing you with false positive data), as the infrared beam that projects out to catch information must reflect off of a surface. TAPS admitted to using this device early on in investigations, because they did not know that was how the unit worked, but that the only reason they continue to use it on investigations is the fact that production thinks it "looks neat, like a ghost hunting tool should."

2. Your digital camera is something you will need to be careful with. A 3 mega pixel is definitely the lowest quality you will want to use during an investigation - and especially when the pictures are taken outside. You can check out Vince Wilson's book "Ghost Tech" for more on that, or PM me if you want me to elaborate further. Just make sure if you have a quality option on the camera, that you are taking pictures at the highest quality available on the camera.

3. Your digital recorder was an excellent choice. Olympus recorders have fantastic quality in their recordings - but be weary of your microphone. Good microphones are usually upwards of $40-$50, and for good, lapel sized microphones, it is usually higher than that. You may have better luck and better sounding recordings if you ditch the mic. This advice about the recorder is all based on personal experience with the very same unit.

Good luck to you and your investigation!
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users