haunted funeral home in ct

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 SeA7

SeA7

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

It would be really helpful if anyone has info on this place.this what i know that they turned it into a house and a family moved in there .crazyBAD_WORD started to happen the warrens went there so did some local priests and they witnessed dark sprits so if anyone knows where this place is please let me know ill come back with some pics for ya'll[size=3]

#2 amypz

amypz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

It would be really helpful if anyone has info on this place.this what i know that they turned it into a house and a family moved in there .crazyBAD_WORD started to happen the warrens went there so did some local priests and they witnessed dark sprits so if anyone knows where this place is please let me know ill come back with some pics for ya'll[size=3]

i forgot the street name but its in the area of the aqua turf.

#3 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

I saw that too, scary stuff I know John Zaffis investigated it on Discovery is this the same place

heres a link
http://www.prsne.com/funeral-home.htm

#4 scared 1

scared 1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

"

#5 SeA7

SeA7

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

[quote name='amypz' post='354922' date='Oct 2 2006, 04:32 PM'][quote name='SeA7' post='354910' date='Oct 2 2006, 03:25 PM']
It would be really helpful if anyone has info on this place.this what i know that they turned it into a house and a family moved in there .crazyBAD_WORD started to happen the warrens went there so did some local priests and they witnessed dark sprits so if anyone knows where this place is please let me know ill come back with some pics for ya'll[size=3][/quote]
[/quot I have no clue where or what aqua turf is is it like a bussiness.What town is it in?Have you been in there?"

[quote name='Caesar' post='354945' date='Oct 2 2006, 09:27 PM']I saw that too, scary stuff I know John Zaffis investigated it on Discovery is this the same place

heres a link
http://www.prsne.com/funeral-home.htm[/quote]
HEY thanks alot for that great link. That is the place i was talking about.thanks again

#6 The Ghost Lady

The Ghost Lady

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

It's actually an occupied residence now, so there's really no investigating allowed, but you can always do a drive by. :weeee:
Posted Image

#7 huntmoney

huntmoney

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

The current adress is 208 Meriden Avenue in Southington. Across the street about a quarter of a mile up is the St. Thomas Cemetery. If you watch the video A Haunting in Connecticut which origionally aired on the Discovery channel in 2002, they show footage of the actual house and the cemetery. I know, I've been there. For more info, send me a PM.

#8 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

Oi vey...

I grew up in Southington, and knew the family that ran that funeral home (and they lived there, too). They never told me of anything strange happening there; and when I would stop by, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then again, I would never go down to the basement, because that's where they were doing the embalming and things like that...

Yes, years later, I'd heard the stories and saw the television shows, but I swear to you: there was never anything strange happening there when I lived practically on the otherside of the block from this place.

The Warrens - well, they also said that house on Ocean Avenue in Amityville was haunted, didn't they?
Beannacht ort

#9 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

Oi vey...

I grew up in Southington, and knew the family that ran that funeral home (and they lived there, too). They never told me of anything strange happening there; and when I would stop by, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then again, I would never go down to the basement, because that's where they were doing the embalming and things like that...

Yes, years later, I'd heard the stories and saw the television shows, but I swear to you: there was never anything strange happening there when I lived practically on the otherside of the block from this place.

The Warrens - well, they also said that house on Ocean Avenue in Amityville was haunted, didn't they?

I am not positive about this but I believe that the claims of activity began after the owners of the funeral home had sold the place.....correct me if I am wrong however

#10 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Here's an interesting little article I found, that may shed some light on this story:

(from Skeptical Inquirer)

Hans Holzer, who terms himself a parapsychologist, observes: "Amateur 'investigators' can do more damage than good at times, "especially when they travel as 'demonologists' looking for demons and devils as the cause of a haunting" (Holzer 1991, 7).

He could be referring to an elderly couple, Ed and Lorraine Warren, who operate something they call the New England Society for Psychic Research. Ed, the director, has a business card that bills him as a "Demonologist." Lorraine, sporting a bouffant hairdo, claims to be a "clairvoyant." They have been called other things, ranging from "passionate and religious people" and "ghost hunters" to "scaremongers" and other appellations, including "charlatans" (Duckert 1991).

The Warrens' usual modus operandi has them arriving at a "haunted" house where ghost and poltergeist hijinks are blown into incredible accounts of "demonic possession." Soon the horrific tales become chapters or entire books touting the Warrens' "cases," such as the Amityville "horror," (Amityville, New York, 1975-1976) and the Snedeker family haunting (Southington, Connecticut, 1986-1988).

In the latter case, in addition to Lorraine Warren, "psychics" brought into the house (a former funeral home) included a Warren grandson and a nephew. They were soon reporting their own sightings of ghosts and other phenomena, while also denying that there was any book deal in progress. In fact, such a book did materialize (Warren and Warren et al. 1992).

Alas, when I appeared on the pre-Halloween 1992 Sally Jessy Raphael show with the Warrens and Snedekers, I began an investigation that would thoroughly demolish the case (although it was hyped again later with a made-for-TV movie). "Neighbors of the Snedeker" came on the Sally show to debunk many of the claims. One was an across-the-street resident, Kathy Altemus, who had kept a journal during the events and shared it with me when I subsequently visited Southington.

The journal shed light on the ghostly occurrences. For example, "vibrations" felt in in the house were easily explained by the passing of heavy trucks. Other events could perhaps be attributed to various passersby mentioned in the journal as "pulling pranks on the 'haunted house'" (Altemus 1988-92). Certain other incidents--including visiting nieces being groped by "an unseen hand"--turned out to have been caused by the Snedekers' son "Steven" (as he is called in the book). He confessed to police that he had fondled the girls as they slept. He used drugs and was diagnosed as schizophrenic (Nickell 1995, 133-139).

While there is no convincing evidence that demons were at work in the house, the arrival of the Warrens, with their publicity-seeking actions, convinced some people otherwise. Their book--written by a professional horror-tale writer and timed for Halloween release and promotion--was a travesty. It represented the worst of the "psychic" approach to ghost hunting.

So yes, Jeff S, the claims of activity began after the operators of the funeral home sold the property... :(

Edited by meanderer, 17 July 2008 - 08:31 PM.

Beannacht ort

#11 huntmoney

huntmoney

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

Of course I always encourage a healthy skepticism, but to be close-minded 100% is nothing short of ignorant. And of course any posters who want to advocate this can always post in the area of GV designated specifically for skeptics. Just a friendly reminder to all my fellow ghost hunters/investigators!

#12 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

Of course I always encourage a healthy skepticism, but to be close-minded 100% is nothing short of ignorant. And of course any posters who want to advocate this can always post in the area of GV designated specifically for skeptics. Just a friendly reminder to all my fellow ghost hunters/investigators!

Both cases: The house on Ocean Avenue in Amityville, and the former funeral home in Southington, have been proven to be hoaxes. Where's the 'close-mindedness'? Where's the ignorance? It's over, it's done.

Don't get me wrong - I believe spirits exist, and I believe they can interact with us. What I take exception with is when people start, or perpetuate, 'ghost stories' that they'd heard from a 'friend of a friend's second-cousin...' (even after evidence to the contrary). That, to me, is where the ignorance lies.

As a 'ghost hunter' (oh...how I dislike that term!), how would you deal with something that proves to be a hoax, or (at best) an innocent misinterpretation of environmental occurrences? Would you continue to investigate, or would you move on?

I may be a skeptic, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's either that, or blindly believe in every spooky little story, made up by people who've got nothing better to do. Being a skeptic doesn't mean that I don't believe. It just takes more to convince me.

I've had personal experience with some places that have been written about on this site. It really gets under my skin when I read some of the stories that seem as if the writers are playing 'one-upsmanship' with each other. They continue to pile misinformation and out-right lies...only to bury the real truth even deeper. And, what good does that do?
Beannacht ort

#13 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

I too heard that was a hoax and a lot of the stuff that happened there was caused by the son who was later found to have schizphrenia.

Granted I don't know the Warrens, but it seems to me that demonologists always find demons. Why is that? I really find it hard to believe there are that many demonic occurances happening in the US. I think we need to be healthy skeptics when it comes to all aspects of the paranormal. I consider myself a sensitive etc., but even I look for all the mundane possibilities of everything I see, hear, feel, sense and smell. As much as one should keep an open mind, we shouldn't also blatantly believe everything we hear. I'm sure everyone has heard the saying, "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear." I subscribe to that wholeheartedly. It is ignorant to believe everything, especially now that so many people are into the ghost thing, it's so easy to make things up, and with technology most anything can be faked. Every orb is not a ghost, more likely it's dust, pollen or bugs. Also, houses make noises no matter how old they are. I've lived in brand new houses and old houses, they all made noises. Pipes, wood floors, animals running around in the attic, branches brushing the roof or acorns falling from tree, wind can open a door, etc, etc.

It's nice to believe, but it's better to have a healthy bit of skepticsm.

Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#14 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Very well written, Kira. I completely agree with you! :hug2:

As to why demonologist always managing to find demons...well, it enhances their reputation, and therefore, increases their bank accounts. It's much more profitable to tell someone that they've got ghosts, than it is to tell people that they've got noisy pipes.

Yes, skepticism is a good thing. Not completely disbelieving something, just wanting more proof. When the available 'evidence' turns out to be fraudulent, then it's no longer skepticism, is it?

Having blind-faith in certain things (religion, loved ones and friends) is fine. But, to just take the word of someone who makes a living out of telling people that they've got ghosts is just buying into the fears that these people profit so well from. I want more proof than that.
Beannacht ort

#15 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

wow thats some pretty interesting stuff....nice research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users