At Odds

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

Being Gone for awhile i have returned with a million thoughts....Religion and Sprituality do they go hand in hand or can you walk through this life with one and not the other? My opinion is that if an individual has Spirituality then they can progress through this life with out a Religion but if religion is a practice of rituals and followings to bring the soul closer to the spiritual self... I seem to be rambelling on ...Sorry.. My thoughts get a little wacky sometimes and my words scrambled.. My general question is ... Can one have Spirituality without having a religion?
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

You dont need to be religious to be spiritual and for most people religion doesnt mean anything but to hold on to a set of skewed pre-programmed ideas. Spirituality do not have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with religion. Though religion was formulated to assist people to be spiritual, in our present day circumstance, it is more a thing to keep people divided and fighting. Spirituality deals with you and the Divine, whereas religion deals with you and your political motives.
Posted Image

#3 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

Religion is a formalized set of doctrines and rites / rituals / sacraments. It should be a vehicle to increased spirituality, but many people just go through the motions. Religiosity is how closely one adheres to the practices of one's religion.

Spirituality is how closely one is connected to the Divine.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#4 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

:weeee:
Thanks Moonchild and aloha-spirit for your replies!!! I've been on a life experience to find my path in this realm of life and have found that Spirituality is more my way than our religions around here.. I wasn't looking to offend readers or cause a debate only looking to see others views... Maybe this will inspire a future post on something new..
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#5 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Moonie and aloha, those are both excellent answers. I can say no more than I wholeheartedly agree with them. :kitty:
petunia4998

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Thank you Petunia and VenusMoon. As seen in Aloha's signature, he didn't lose his mind, he has backed it up in a hard disk, I guess that hard disk is my brain :kitty:
Posted Image

#7 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

I would have to say that I agree with the idea that religion and spirituality aren't always connected. I know many people who consider themselves deeply religious because they go to church every week, sometimes twice a week. But they don't practice what they are taught, so I don't think of them as all that religious or spiritual. I would rather spend time in contemplation/meditation and private prayers and then following the teachings of my church than actually going to the building weekly. Don't get me wrong, I do go to church when the urge strikes, but I don't think that, for me at least, attendence of church is important. I was taught as a child that we are in church every second we are alive - life is church and how we live it is how we practice our religion.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#8 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

I would have to say that I agree with the idea that religion and spirituality aren't always connected. I know many people who consider themselves deeply religious because they go to church every week, sometimes twice a week. But they don't practice what they are taught, so I don't think of them as all that religious or spiritual. I would rather spend time in contemplation/meditation and private prayers and then following the teachings of my church than actually going to the building weekly. Don't get me wrong, I do go to church when the urge strikes, but I don't think that, for me at least, attendence of church is important. I was taught as a child that we are in church every second we are alive - life is church and how we live it is how we practice our religion.

Thanks Red!!!

#9 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Very good way of looking at it, Red.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#10 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I personally don't believe in organized religion but consider myself to be a deeply spiritual person... I've just run into a bunch of biggots when it comes to religion... My grandparents for one (I know.... shame on me for calling my mom's parents biggoted). They definately don't practice what I think they should.... My grandfather is very racist (if he knew my little sister was going out with a black guy right now he'd blow his top) but he is from WWII Germany. And they're always saying that I'd be healthy if we just went to church every sunday like good christians and prayed for my recovery. No offense to anyone on here but if it only took prayer to make me healthy (and totally redo my DNA not to mention) I'd be running marathons now instead of spending my days watching TV... It's not that I don't believe in prayer because I see it as a form of positive energy and believe that a little positive thinking never did anyone harm, but there is a limit... And now I'm going to stop before I get off topic...

But yes you can be spiritual and not "religious"....
Love life.

#11 Must_See_To_Believe

Must_See_To_Believe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Well, suffice it to say I'm very interested in the paranormal. Although I've never let myself become actively involved. Yeah, I'm chicken. I was very sensitive and probably still am. I once helped a sweet old man named Henry cross over. I saw his bedroom. He was standing beside his bed. Or rather his spirit was. His body was still in bed with his wife. I was suddenly standing beside him. I told him she would be alright. Suddenly he and I both were standing beneath a big beautiful tree on a hill surrounded by the greenest grass and the bluest sky I've ever seen. I've had a few more encounters like that. I considered it a gift from God. But it just came to be too much for me and I prayed that God would pass me by with this gift. I haven't had an &quot;episode&quot; since. <br /><br />Other than that, I read a lot. Sew, Quilt, Cook... spend my days and nights with two wonderful little girls and one awesome man !!!!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

You dont need to be religious to be spiritual and for most people religion doesnt mean anything but to hold on to a set of skewed pre-programmed ideas. Spirituality do not have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with religion. Though religion was formulated to assist people to be spiritual, in our present day circumstance, it is more a thing to keep people divided and fighting. Spirituality deals with you and the Divine, whereas religion deals with you and your political motives.

I'm sorry Moon, but I so completely disagree with your view on religion. Not to make this a religious debate.... but all religions deal with people and the "divine"... it depends on what one considers "divine".

I also must disagree with your statements that religion is an adherence to a set of "skewed pre-programmed ideas" and "whereas religion deals with you and your political motives". These statements are so completely biased that it is embarrassing to hear them coming from someone so open minded as I considered you to be.

I'm a very Christian lady but I do not attend church. Not because they are all politically motivated but because all I see is "who's wearing what", "who did what" and "how to be rich on earth through "Godly" actions". No thanks. As someone else mentioned, church can be anywhere, anytime and anyplace. As far as religion goes, anyone who believes in anything and puts their faith in that thing is practicing a religion.

Religion and Spirituality can go hand in hand or be two completely different aspects of life. It is a personal choice but not one I think we should judge publicly on personal belief.

I know, I know. Tell that to the Baptists who think Mormons are going to hell and the Mormons who think everyone is going to hell but them... or the Muslims who want to kill everyone that doesn't believe as they do. It is still not politically motivated. It is nothing more than a world-wide Jihad, if you will, on everyone who vigorously practices their religion.

The one thing I do believe in.... we will all know the truth some day.

Posted Image

#12 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Intereting opinions everyone!!Thanks for all the input so far..Did not intend to offend anyone in anyway or cause a debate only wished to gather others opinions on the subjects at hand. Again THANKS!!

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

I'm sorry Moon, but I so completely disagree with your view on religion. Not to make this a religious debate.... but all religions deal with people and the "divine"... it depends on what one considers "divine".

No worries about the disagreement. But tell me how many people actually are practising religion for the fullfillment of Divinity? You may be one, I agree, but for majority it is about "labelling" themself to a set of beliefs.

I also must disagree with your statements that religion is an adherence to a set of "skewed pre-programmed ideas" and "whereas religion deals with you and your political motives".

In that case, kindly explain religion and the belief sets being followed.

These statements are so completely biased that it is embarrassing to hear them coming from someone so open minded as I considered you to be.

:)

I'm a very Christian lady but I do not attend church. Not because they are all politically motivated but because all I see is "who's wearing what", "who did what" and "how to be rich on earth through "Godly" actions". No thanks. As someone else mentioned, church can be anywhere, anytime and anyplace. As far as religion goes, anyone who believes in anything and puts their faith in that thing is practicing a religion.

Yeah, that exactly is my point too. When a church or a temple can be anywhere anyplace, that is where religion ends and spirituality begins. Welcome to the party.
Posted Image

#14 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

From Merriam-Webster online:

SPIRITUAL
1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal
2a : of or relating to sacred matters
b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal
3: concerned with religious values
4: related or joined in spirit
5a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena
b : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

I consider myself a spiritual atheist. I don't believe in gods, but I can relate to definitions 1, 4, and definitely 5 a and b of the word 'spiritual'. Many of my beliefs are parallel to those of worshipers of gods (for example, do unto others as I would have them do unto me), and I respect and appreciate those differences.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#15 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

Tell that to the Baptists who think Mormons are going to hell and the Mormons who think everyone is going to hell but them... or the Muslims who want to kill everyone that doesn't believe as they do. It is still not politically motivated. It is nothing more than a world-wide Jihad, if you will, on everyone who vigorously practices their religion.

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, more commonly known as "Mormon". If you were familiar with Mormonism, you would be surprised at how mistaken you are about our beliefs on hell.

Mormons believe there are two places which can be called hell. The first is the abode of spirits being purged for their sins before they can be judged and resurrected. Everyone (Mormon and non-Mormon alike) passes through this purging. The other hell is often called "Outer Darkness" and lasts forever. Outer Darkness is reserved for only the vilest of sinners. Most people will enter a kingdom of glory in heaven. Everyone receives a different degree of glory based on how well they lived their life.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users