Interesting article on Monotheism

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:56 AM

http://www.thestar.c...ol=991929131147

<snip from article>

Monotheism blamed for history's bloodshed
Polytheism embraces pluralism, author says

Politics motivated Constantine's faith

IRA RIFKIN
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Religious differences fuel many of the world's violent conflicts, detractors and supporters of organized faith often lament in unison.

Author Jonathan Kirsch would put a finer point on the charge. He blames the leading monotheistic religions — Judaism, Christianity and Islam — for much of history's bloodshed. The reason, he maintains, is monotheism's traditional claim to exclusive possession of absolute truth.

Too bad Julian the Apostate, the Roman Empire's last pagan emperor, died young in battle, says Kirsch, author of God Against The Gods: The History Of The War Between Monotheism And Polytheism (Viking). Had Julian lived longer, he might have succeeded in reinstating classical Greco-Roman polytheism, which was marginalized when Emperor Constantine the Great institutionalized Christianity's ascendancy — and world history might have turned out more benign.

Rest of article continued at above link.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:ghosts demons anything paranormal

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:45 AM

I believe that man kind being who we are with our basic vices such as greed, envy, etc, etc. Would still have found other excuses to create simular situations to what we have.  

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:51 AM

That would be my thought exactly.  I just find it both interesting and frightening that we as a species DO tend to use such things as faith and religion as an excuse.  One prime example that springs immediately to mind is the various medevial Crusades.  While these wars had full approval of the Church of the time, they in reality were nothing more than a reason to prevent over powerful nobles from overrunning the domains of rivals and give second and third sons not destined for the Church something to do.  That at least, is based on my personal studies of that time over the last few years.  At the same time, in the same era, the Muslims were in reality making territory grabs under the guise of spreading the teachings of Mohammed.  The key point was the fact that BOTH faiths, and Judaism, considered Jerusalem sacred ground, the jewel in the crown so to speak.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:05 AM

Exactly right.

#5 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:10 AM

As a species, I wonder if we will ever progress to the point where these instincts will be conquered.

#6 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

Survival of the fittest. I doubt we'll ever get to the point beyond that. I'm not being pessimistic, it's just the way it's always been and nothing has indicated it's changing for the better. Now we just have computers, mass televised speeches and guards with guns as our weapons instead of swords.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#7 Gregory

Gregory

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:04 AM

I remain unconvinced.  He says that, "Polytheists sought control over the public sphere alone; monotheists sought control over private thoughts as well."  I don't buy it.  Why were Jews and early Christians prosecuted?  Because they insisted on worshipping only their own god.  Antiochus IV forbad Jews from following their dietary laws, Emperor Gaius Caligula ordered a statue of himself erected in the Jewsish temple at Jurisilum, and we're supposed to believe that poletheists weren't interested in controlling private thoughts?
What Would Batman Do?

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

An honest question, what is was/is driving the bloody genocides in African countries?  Is it religion or just enthnic backround?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

the idea of monoethism is worshipping the absolute, not a deity.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

They were concerned with conquring, period.  The best way to beat down a people that you are trying to conquer?  Attack their faith over and over.  Hence, when Christianity spread, the pagan gods were reduced to demons and Christian churchs were built on reblessed sites that were once home to pagan worship.  Hence when the Jewish people revolted in the 60's and 70's AD, Rome destroyed their temple.  The Babalyonians did the same thing, and the Persians, in order to gain the Jews as valuable allies when Cyrus made to conquer Babalyon, he promised to rebuild their Temple.

Of course there were ancient poletheists that wanted to control private thoughts.  They're called tyrants, and every civilization had them.  Early Christians WERE persectued by the Roman Empire in the early days, yes, but not necessarily due to the fact that they were Christian.  Many Roman Emperors wanted to be viewed as a god, and clearly that was against the faith of Christians.  So hence, denying the divinity of the Emperor was treason, hence the Christians being thrown to the lions.  Not all Emperors did this by the way.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

An honest question, what is was/is driving the bloody genocides in African countries?  Is it religion or just enthnic backround?

Igorance, Religious fanatisicm, power mongers! ah! what a perfect combinaiton for a genocide!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#12 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:15 AM

It's all well and good... but unfortunately we can't go back and change it.... "can't change it!" (does his Dana Carvey/Bush impression).  And I don't think we can all of a sudden put an end to it now.  

It's just us as a species.  The difference is we know how to build things to increase the amount of death we can bestow on each other LOL!  LOL! To hell with humans for being self aware....  

"... and now back to your regularly scheduled program, The Kingdom of Bananas."
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:38 AM

Emperor Gaius Caligula ordered a statue of himself erected in the Jewsish temple at Jurisilum, and we're supposed to believe that poletheists weren't interested in controlling private thoughts?

Had to point something out here.  Caligula was quite mad actually.  Modern day historians think he may have either suffered from schizophrenea (sp?) or complications of a veneral disease.  

And he erected that statue in the Temple because he was one of those Emperors that thought he was a god.  And since Judea was under Roman control, and as I stated the best way to beat down a conquered people was to debase their faith (although I conceed that this doesn't always work), it was perfectly logical to Caligula to do such a thing.  I'm not condoning it, just pointing out a historical fact.  (He also wanted to make his horse a Senator....)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:10 AM

Frankly I think a horse would be a better senator than most of the politicians we've got now...:P
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:16 AM

Heh...but this happened over a milenium ago.  Although I bet you any money that the Roman populace felt the same way you do now!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users