Computer Video and Audio Software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that "prove" a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

So my question is this, what (if any) Video/audio editing software do you use to isolate your evidence from the other 10 or so hours of footage that you have so that you can catalog and file it away for future reference? I have mainly been trying to fine a useful Audio program for isolating, looping, possibly removing segments and saving them as small files of their own, and perhaps a visual display( I am drawing a blank as to what it is I want visualized, I am sure everyone here has at least seen one episode of GH, and when they play their audio files they have the program on the screen that visualizes the same thing...I hate when I can't remember something). Also for video editing, something that will allow me to both remove the hours of nothing from my DVR and handhelds and then merge the two into a single video clip. Any suggestions on what you use or what you have heard is good would be great.

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

I do limited video work, instead concentrating on audio. For that I simply log the time data regarding where activity is found then save the entire original tape uncut and unaltered. That way I have the full range of audio frequencies available,( at least the to the extent of the original.) If I want a clipped version for some special purpose I simply do a direct copy from the original to a second generation tape.

One reason is that by keeping the entire recording should a question come up at some future time, or some new technology become available for analysis work I can ressurect the original tape where at the time nothing was heard and apply the new criterea. Possibly something was overlooked and may be found at that time. By cutting and editting the original, once deleted that data is gone for good.

While I don't do a lot of video, the same criterea could be used there as well.

#3 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that "prove" a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Very good point. I also like to keep the originals for the purpose of being able to present an unaltered, unedited piece of evidence should there ever be any speculation about tampering. I do however also like to keep secondary sets that have been edited to include only points of interest with a relative timestamp of where to find it on the original. Sort of a quick reference as to what I have found at a specific location. Although as far as video software goes I have found pretty much nothing aside from Sony Vegas 9, but I wasn't too impressed with the controls in the trial version, not very user friendly when trying to cut and move small clips. I never did figure out how to do it before my trial ran out. Maybe the retail version has instructions though.

#4 gavknight

gavknight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

audacity is a good audio program , i'm in contact with someone who deals mainly with audio evidence and he advised me to use audacity , it's a free download and if his evps are anything to go by it's one of the best programs to use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users