• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:07 AM

We're ba-a-a-a-a-a-c-k!!!! We returned to the Farnsworth this past weekend. We had a great time. My wife and I arrived Saturday afternoon around 4pm. We immediately checked in and went right to the Sarah Black Room. We unpacked our bags including our TV and VCR. The room was beautiful, much bigger than The Schultz and Jennie Wade rooms.

Our first order of business was going to the basement. My wife brought her digital camera. She started shooting as soon as we entered - no orbs. I then went for the catacombs. I opened the first door which is the equipment room. I was able to turn on a ceiling light allowing me to look around in this little room. Nothing. I then opened the door to the catacombs. It was extremely dark in there. I could not find a light switch, I did see a bulb but could not find away of turning it on. I went in about 5 feet and could not see a thing in front of me. I forgot my flashlight. Meanwhile my wife is freaking out! She beleives there is something evil in the catacombs. I decided to leave with the idea I would come back later in our visit with a flashlight. (I didn't) As I exited the 'combs, my wife took a picture.
As the picture firmed on the camera screen, she blurted out, "Look at this! Look!Look!"  I looked at the screen and there was an orb on my hip! We were pretty excited. We left the basement pretty happy.
Our next visit was to the Farnsworth Pub attached to the Inn. We had rented the movie "Gettysburg" a few days before we went out to familiarize ourselves with the battlefied and prominent figures in the war. Also, the Pub has on display, articles of costumes that a few of the actors wore during the movie. We went into the pub and ordered dinner. We looked at the costumes and remembered most of them from the movie. Two re-enactors came in, one Confederate, one Union. They both stood at the bar and had a beer. My wife took their picture and within moments there appeared 2 orbs above these guys. Again we were excited.
By now it was 6:00 and dark  AND extremely cold. We headed to Devil's Den. Driving through the park in the dark is interesting enough, we were expecting to have creatures jump out of the woods around every turn. My wife was a bit apprehensive being in a haunted park, in the dark, all alone. But when we got to the "Den" we were surprised at the number of other people that were out there. We walked around the rocks (with a flashlight) and then descended down the hill behind the den. (I was told by a friend that he had encountered cigar smoke down there one night.) We got to the bottom. Looking up into the sky in this complete blackness the stars and constellations were so bright and clear. Breathtakingly beautiful! I stood by a boulder with the flashlight in front of me shining up into my face. My wife took a picture, figuring it would look spooky in its own right. Sure enough another orb!! Let me say at this point she had taken close to 50 pictures with only three of them indicating orbs. It was time to move on to Sach's Bridge. Someone had mentioned the bridge was closed but we decided to go any way. We got there about 9pm and we immediately saw the sign that said "Area Closed Sunset to Sunrise." We went anyway. As we pulled up another car followed us in. My wife and I got out, the other people did not. Our plan was for me to walk the bridge and come back, my wife would stay by the entrance, she didn't want any part of being on the bridge at night. I walked back and forth twice, my wife popping pictures as I did so. When I was done. We looked over the pictures and there they were. One picture had 4 orbs, another 3. We were satisfied with what we had gotten this first day. We returned to the inn. It was completely sold out for Saturday night. We watched a movie on our VCR and turned in at about 1am. The noise of vehicles going up and down Baltimore Street was very loud. Even at about 3:30am I was awakened by a tractor trailer going up the street. We skipped breakfast at the inn but were awakened by the noise of the guests in the room behind us. The floor creaked and cracked all the while they were walking around the room.
We spent the day touring the battlefield again. The beauty of going in the winetr is that the trees are all bare and you can see everything. Unfortunately, it was a cold day and it snowed for most of the afternoon. We went back to Sachs Bridge and took some more pictures in the daylight (no orbs) and walked around in the woods, but nothing exciting. We had rented an audio tour from the Farnsworth Bookstore so we had to have it back by 5pm. When I got there, I just happened to ask the clerk if anyone else was staying at the Inn. "No, you and your wife are the only ones staying!" I was pretty excited. Unfortunately for me, my wife wasn't.
Since we had the Inn to ourselves, we thought we had total access to the Inn, but I remembered that management has alrms on the lower level so we didn't go downstairs. All the other guest rooms are locked. So we went to the TV room down the hall and watched the Super Bowl - some great...commercials! Hahahahaha.
There were some people in the restaurant downstairs until about 9pm and the kitchen help were there until about 10:15 (Very loud, steel pots and pans, kettles, etc). At 10:30 we both realized that we were all alone in the Inn. And we were very tired. Returning to our room my wife got the old camera out again and took some pictures of the stairway leading to the attic (locked) and she had orbs!! Then some more pictures in our room by the bathroom - 2 orbs - one larger than the other  (Mary and Jeremy?!!?). We hit the sack. I fell right to sleep. My wife asked Mary to protect us while we were all alone. She did a great job because nothing happened!!!!! - except my wife was so scared she couldn't sleep a wink.
Next morning we did have breakfast and met ANN the prep cook for the Inn (30 years). She asked how everything was and we told her nothing happened. She was kind of surprised and told us that the Saturday before a young couple had checked into the Black Room and left the Inn at midnight because they were so frightened!! So I blamed my wife and her asking Mary to protect us for the dull evening!! Hahahahahaha.
Monday was frigid, high winds,so cold. We finished the rest of the battlefield without incident.  We left for home and were safely back by 8pm Monday night. In total my wife had taken about 100 digital pictures and 150
35-mm pictures. These are being developed as I write this. On our last visit we had gone to the Cashtown Inn so we went back there on Monday to make reservations to stay there in April, but...they are closed on Mondays!!
After all is told we had a great time, met a lot of very nice people, and are actually looking forward to going again.

#2 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 30 January 2003 - 09:07 AM

Well, you had the whole Inn to yourselves!  That is very daring seeing that it is the Farnsworth!  It sounds as if you got some great pictures.  Please don't blame your wife for asking Mary for protection.  She wasn't asking Mary for absolutely no incidents.  She was just asking Mary to make sure that nothing bad would happen.  After all, I hear that there are some pretty nasty spirits at that place.  I wouldn't stay in the McFarland room for the world!  I would like to know why that Confederate soldier doesn't like women. ::)
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#3 hurdingcats

hurdingcats

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 11:35 AM

Wow! What a treat to have the Inn all to yourself. Hearing people in the next room when no one else is there....that's too cool. Can't wait to see your pictures.   :)  I've gotten some good results in the Wheatfield. Be careful going into areas that are posted as closed or off limits. There are volunteer park watchers throughout the park that work directly with the rangers. The fines are heavy if they choose to prosecute.  :(  I've checked with the rangers to find out what they allow and what could incur a fine.
I always meet someone interesting there and hope to go in a group someday so I can learn more and refine my techniques.

#4 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for posting a recap of your weekend.  Everytime I read about Gettysburg, I want to visit that much more.

I hope we can get there this spring.  As soon as I book the trip, I'll be asking you all the best places to hit!  And hurdingcats, I'll be asking you what we should NOT do as not to incur a fine!

#5 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:32 PM

Gettysburgh is well worth the trip.  If you are ever in the south, St. Augustine is a very active spiritual area.  It reminds me a bit of a southern Gettysburg because there was a lot of battling for control of the city.  The old fort is interesting.  Great ghost tours, also.  There are so many haunted places that I can't keep track of all of them!

Did anything special happen while you visited the Cashtown?  We passed by it on our way to Gettysburg, but didn't stop.  We wanted to be in the center of the city for shopping and sightseeing.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#6 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 07:14 AM

The first time we stopped at the Cashtown (in July) we walked around the lobby, some really great photos from the movie. But we didn't stay there or eat there.

This time we went there Monday at about noon and it was closed - "Closed On Mondays" the sign said!

But I booked our reservations yesterday to stay in the "infamous" Room 4 on the weekend of May 2nd.

The Inn even advertises that room as "famous."  Interestingly, when I was looking for a weekend to book, the Inn was sold out EXCEPT Room 4 for that weekend!!!!!!!!  

Room 4 is the most "active" room in the Inn. If you get a chance rent/buy VHS tape  "Hauntings of Gettysburg" It talks and shows re-enactments about Room 4, Sach's Bridge, and a bookstore/video store (we looked this weekend for the store but couldn't find it.)

#7 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:38 AM

I heard that someone likes to knock on the door of room 4.  I need to read more on the Cashtown.  You should have nice weather in May.

#8 Midnyte69

Midnyte69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:54 AM

You know... I live about 30 minutes away from central Gettysburg... and I have yet to stay in the Farnsworth or the Cashtown.

I'm actually waiting until it gets a bit warmer out before I start to really investigate the area. My wife tends to shake worse than a leaf on a twig in a hurricane when she's cold.

#9 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 10:53 AM

midnyte69,

If you're thinking about staying at either the Farnsworth or Cashtown, I suggest you make reservations very, very soon because they both tend to be sold out in advance. My other suggestion is go in late May or early June. Once the heat and humidity roll into the town, the sightseeing, ghost hunting, becomes uncomfortable. But I really think you'll enjoy the town immensely. My wife and I are looking forward to our next visit on May 2.

#10 Midnyte69

Midnyte69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 10:55 AM

I'll keep that in mind... thanks.

#11 ladymoon64

ladymoon64

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 07:54 AM

Hi,
I just got back and stayed in The Herr Tavern & Inn. We stayed in room 2 and got 2 very interesting EVP recordings. Also, the Inn is lovely.
I also got great pics from Cemetery Hill(at night) the battlefields near our inn and in the basement at the Jenny Wade house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users