Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Your Religion

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Poll: What best describes your beliefs?

What best describes your beliefs?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

I agree with Leonie that all religions are, in fact, man-made. It helped explain much of the unknown and known world around early humans. I believe that, in some cases, it also allows us to have a focal point. It allows us to be thankful for all that we sense, and still it gives us an explanation for how things go in life. Something to explain what happens before and after life, too.

For the period between my errant Catholicism and when I began to practice Druidry, I was actually anti-religion...believing it to be a "crutch" of sorts, for people who can't seem to cope with their lives. I don't feel that way now; since I've begun the path I've been on for the past 30 or so years.

There are plenty of people who seem "militant" or confrontational about their beliefs...that all other faiths are just out-right wrong, because they don't worship the same god (or, even the same way) as they do. I can talk with JWs and/or Mormons about their faith (both groups have knocked on my door), as long as they understand that my faith is different from theirs...and nobody's converting anybody. The first time the phrase "you're faith is wrong" comes out of anybody's mouth, the door gets closed. It's as simple as that. I won't lecture to anybody about my faith. It's the path I've chosen, and I'm happy with it. If you choose another path, fine. If you choose the path I'm on, good. But we all have our own path to choose.

I guess the main thing is to respect each other, and don't think someone's going to attack you because of your faith. Once you get defensive and argumentative about it, respect is lost. You don't have to agree with someone's faith...but you should respect their right to choose whatever path they want to travel. Just know that you have to choose the path yourself...you can't have somebody point it out to you. Where's the joy in that?
Beannacht ort

#122 Cassiel

Cassiel

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Laity Religious Demonologist...Healer

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hello
I follow my father in the Roman Catholic faith

Posted Image

קפציאל Angel of Temperance.

#123 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

I am now leaning more towards Celtic.
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#124 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Sorry for OT,but how does one delete a post on here.I keep getting a double post glitch
M

Edited by mooboo, 23 March 2009 - 01:57 AM.

Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#125 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

This is a very complicated question for me,and I can exbound about
what and why,or I can just say "pagan".
I was raised Catholic,but I moved away from it early on.I got involved in Wicca at 16,and I am
Initiated in both Welsh and Gardnarian traditions.I would be considered a High Priestess,but the politics of Wicca in my neck of the woods,completely made me walk away from all of that before I was 25.

I considered converting to Buddhist,but I am far too involved in other
practices to be pure,so I just say pagan.
I have long practiced various rites of Santeria,Palo Mahyombe and Voodoo/Hoodoo.
Yet,I am a follower of both Amachi/Amma,and the 17th Karmapa,and I do regular hommage to a few Egyptian,Tibetan,and pre Christ deities ....
Complicated....I know.
I firmly believe that there is one God,that this god is seen in a different light by each culture,so therein
lies the reasons for variation religion to religion.
Some religions are more enlightened than others,but
that doesn't make any religion "right",or better than another...

So yah,I am pagan.
(^_^;:ghost:'
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#126 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Sorry for OT,but how does one delete a post on here.I keep getting a double post glitch
M

Questions regarding how to use the site should be posted in the Technical Support Board.

Posts can only be edited / deleted the first 5 minutes after they are posted. If that time has elapsed, please contact the Moderator assigned to the board or a member of the Town Council.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#127 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

M

Questions regarding how to use the site should be posted in the Technical Support Board.

Posts can only be edited / deleted the first 5 minutes after they are posted. If that time has elapsed, please contact the Moderator assigned to the board or a member of the Town Council.

Thank you,At least now I know.

Miss

#128 +EvilApparition+

+EvilApparition+

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Namaste Yoga, Meditation, Music

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

I'm a mixture. I was baptized as a Lutheren, but got mixed up in a baptist and christian churches. I consider myself an atheist, but don't care what religion people belong to, as long as they don't do a face-to-face preaching and call me a sinner.

I basically practice my own beliefs in the way of namaste yoga and meditation.

#129 fatman

fatman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

I chose my non-religious route years ago. I have always felt, even as a young child, that any kind of religion was not in agreement with my mind-set. I followed the direction of my mother, but I always felt fake, like going to a dance when you didn't dance and didn't believe in it (no, I was never baptist).
I came to my atheist ways after my oldest brother died in 1996 (the ghost stories connected to that will be posted later). I basically said to myself "Life is too short to deny your true beliefs. Jump the religion ship, go overboard and wait for the sharks of critizism to attack." Well, some attacked, others just bumped me. I've been comfortably floating in that sea ever since with all of my digits intact; even "that" one.
I can get along with almost anyone, religious or not. Hell, I was a Cub Scout leader, I used to help out in my wife's church, even going as far to play an apostle in a Palm Sunday play (yes, they knew of my beliefs, but they need a warm body to fill a roll that none of the church-going folks came forward to fill). I even love Christmas along with the accompanying decorations. One Christmas I was probably the only atheist Santa Claus at midnight services in a Methodist church anywhere in the world. All this as an atheist. No hard-BAD_WORD here. I guess one could say I'm the kinder, gentler atheist.
I find some religions cooler than others and will sometimes read up on them, but I just don't have use for any of that, mostly. Not to insult anyone, but I have a clear mind on how I think it all came about (non-creator involved big bang, evolution, blah-blah-blah). I'm comfortable with my path. My wife, even though she's a hard-core science teacher and believes in all things scientific, she's Christian. Needless to say that we get into discussions (arguments) about the subject from time to time.
So where is this going? Well, it's just to state that even atheist can believe in ghost. If there is an afterlife, there's no proof that it's of one particular religion or another, and the image of Jesus in a tortilla isn't proof. Mmmmm; tortilla.
My father-in-law once asked me if I wanted any nude pictures of my mother-in-law (I had some). Then he asked how I could believe in ghost if I'm not a Christian? I ansered that ghost or spirits are not peculiar to Christianity, that many religions and and non-Christian cultures have them pre-dating Christianity. He was silent for a moment and then said "I guess you're right." My mother still says I'm not an atheist.
So just to say that I want to be right in there with believers, non-believers, and those in between when it comes to the belief of spirits/ghosts/afterlife discussing this thing and exchanging ideas. And when it's time for me to find out the real story, I think I'll be prepared for whatever comes. I've been a good person. If the other side of the coin is true, then I hope St. Peter has a good sense of humor and lets a brother in on merit rather than lack of faith (okay, I'm not a brother, but I hope he lets me in anyway). Doesn't matter; it will be too late then. Maybe hell will have a doorman position open.

#130 robinrenee

robinrenee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:people in both this world and the next

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

I voted "other mixed," but I actually would have liked an "all of the above." I'm Baha'i :weeee:
The pale girl watched him cautiously when she asked, “Can aborted babies come back as ghosts?” Solomon smiled as he answered, “Yes, magnificent ones!”From a heartwarming ghost story, Solomon the Midwife: Appalachian Afterlifehttp://solomon-the-m...fe.blogspot.com

#131 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

~Ya know...I voted 'other' because even though I was baptised Lutheran, I have really no religion that I follow. I respect the Earth, absolutely love storms (the bigger, the better), I like alot of things in different religions. But there are some things in other religions I think are ridiculous...but hey, to each his own & I could care less. Doesn't mean I'd like or dislike you any less. It doesn't make sense, I'm sure. But it does to me.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#132 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

I believe in many gods, I just don't worship any.
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#133 fatman

fatman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

~Ya know...I voted 'other' because even though I was baptised Lutheran, I have really no religion that I follow. I respect the Earth, absolutely love storms (the bigger, the better), I like alot of things in different religions. But there are some things in other religions I think are ridiculous...but hey, to each his own & I could care less. Doesn't mean I'd like or dislike you any less. It doesn't make sense, I'm sure. But it does to me.

I agree, Laurie. And storms are cool. I love bad weather. We haven't had many lately in Texas. A high is parked over us, thus no rain. That's supposed to be changing later this week.
And you do make sense. The former pastor at my wife's church used to kid me "We'll get you yet." And I enjoyed his ribbing about me being an atheist. It was in good fun. I like a lot of the people there and would do anytning for them.
I enjoy the mssage of Christmas; presents and gimme, gimme, gimme. Seriously, it's the message of love and giving. And the pagentry is beautiful. When I see people complaining about decorations and such, it annoys and angers me. Lighten up, people. No one is going to force you to give some one a present or eat fruitcake. Or even Easter. Just look at how much fun these celebrations are for kids.
Like this woman with whom I used to work; she wouldn't let her son go trick or treating because of the evil costumes and anti-Christian image it invoked. She did say that she used to go when she was a kid, but that she was raised differently and that she was born again. I felt sorry for the kid.
So unless someone is trying to shove religion down your throat, people should just relax and let people worship as long, within reason, of course.

Edited by fatman, 15 July 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#134 wolfshine

wolfshine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

I dont exactly know what i am, so if someone can answer that'd be great =D
I was born and babtized methodist. But i always kinda had my own beliefs, I believed in the afterlife and spirits but without a god or diety, and i kinda had the whole chi/ life energy thing down two. About a year ago i looked this up and my closest match is eccentric wiccan. I see the god and goddess not as dieties but as the masculine and femine sides of life, and i dont pray or worship at all. If there is a more specific name for this belief i would gladly appreciate it.

#135 wolfshine

wolfshine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Oh i also forgot to mention, for the sake of making me easier to label. I believe that the afterlife exists as a place for you to reflect on your past life, and that at the end of your reflection your are reincarnated. So its kinda like a cross between christian heaven and buddhist reincarnation, Wicca has a similar belief called summerland that is part of the reason i was so attracted to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users