• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

I'm currently purchasing a few pieces of equipment and need advice on a portable ambient air temp meter that I can carry with me to take air temp at any given time. I'm not sold on the idea of the IR gun type thermometer to detect cold spots, as I believe it would shoot through the item you are trying to detect and take the temp of wall or what ever was behind it.

Looking for something for under $100. if possible. It would have to read fairly fast and give an accurate reading. A back lit one would be great.

What would you recommend??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

#2 fbobum

fbobum

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

It's my understanding that many of the infrared thermometers have a switch to turn the laser feature on/off. When off, the thermometer measures ambient temps; ie the area immediately around the device.

#3 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

The infrared thermometers you're asking about send out an infrared beam to measure the temperature... What you're reading is the surface temp of what ever the beam touches... The laser feature is there so you know what surface the beam is touching... It's just used to aim and has nothing to do with measuring the temperature...

If you're trying measure a cold spot in the air, the infrared beam will just go right through it and send you the temperature of what it touches, never giving you the accurate measurement of the air temp...

These usually aren't the best device to use to measure air temperature... That is unless it has a thermocouple thermometer attached to it...

This type of thermometer usually has a probe and will measure the air temperature around it... However there are many different types with different response times, so you have to be careful with the ones you invest in...

You want to find one that has a rapid response time... There are some that have up to a minute response time... By the time you get a response of the temperature change, the cold spot could have moved on... The one we use measures the temperature 3 times per second...

So if you want an infrared thermometer, look for one with a thermocouple attached or a port for a probe... However I would recommend skipping the infrared all together and investing the money in a good thermocouple thermometer by itself...

Good luck...

Edited by Joven76, 10 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#4 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Joven76, any recommendations on which one would be the best bang for the buck. Trying to keep it under a hundred.

Thanks again

#5 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

The type of thermocouple thermometer we use is the TIF 7000… This has an air probe attached to a digital readout… At the end of the air probe is a cylinder for air to pass through… Inside the cylinder, going down the shaft of the probe, is a thin wire… This is what takes the temperature… This thermometer takes 3 readings per second, allowing us to see an immediate change in temperature...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#6 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

Thanks Joven76, I'll check those out. You've been very helpful.

Mike

#7 WeirdFresno

WeirdFresno

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

I bought one a few years ago from Harbor Freight called the Cen-Tech 92242 and have been pleased with it. Though I honestly don't know if Harbor Freight still sells it. Checked their website and nothing showed up.

I did find this one on Amazon though. It's around $100.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000XS7WTG

#8 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:11 AM

While the Taylor Professional 9306 Dual Temp IR/Thermocouple Thermometer is a good one, the probe is designed to measure the internal temperature of food and liquids, not air temperature...

In my opinion, the response time of the probe measuring the temperature isn't fast enough... By the time the cold spot moves on, the probe may not have measured it accurately enough...

On another note, I did find a TIF 7000 on eBay for around $75...

Just my 2 cents...

Posted Image

#9 WeirdFresno

WeirdFresno

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

While the Taylor Professional 9306 Dual Temp IR/Thermocouple Thermometer is a good one, the probe is designed to measure the internal temperature of food and liquids, not air temperature...

See that's what happens when I post something near midnight. lol Thanks for clearing that up.

#10 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Joven76 for the heads up on the auction. Now I have to convince myself to spend 85 bucks or so on a air temp thermometer.

Thanks
Mike

#11 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for all the info. I picked up 2 ACT-7000 for under a $100.00 shipped. The ACT is the Snap-On version of the TIF-7000. These things are very accurate and extremely fast.

Thanks again

Mike

#12 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

Very nice!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users