The Montauk Monster

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Read this on AOL in the news of the weird section - apparently this thing washed up on to shore:

Posted Image

Hoax? Unknown creature? Other worldly lifeform? Has anyone heard anything about this? It's very bizarre, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was manmade (some were thinking with latex), but never know . . .

http://news.aol.com/...-monster/114144

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

That's very creepy. After reading the article, I think it's a turtle without its shell.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

Really don't know what to make of it!
Posted Image

#4 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Well, ghost-hunting of course!

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

Very interesting, I would definitely have to cross off any mammals from my list of possibles. I have never heard of a turtle being removed from its shell without having all of its internal organs all over the place, but it looks to be the most likely case aside from being a fake.

Has anybody read the series about the Montauk Experiments by Peter Moon and Preston Nichols? The abandoned air force base on on the tip of long island used to be used in all kinds of experiments from WWII to the '80s. The theories of all kinds of bizzar metaphysical experimentation seem a bit far-fetched but they are backed up by tons of research. They're an incredibly interesting read, if nothing else.

#5 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Very interesting, I would definitely have to cross off any mammals from my list of possibles. I have never heard of a turtle being removed from its shell without having all of its internal organs all over the place, but it looks to be the most likely case aside from being a fake.

Has anybody read the series about the Montauk Experiments by Peter Moon and Preston Nichols? The abandoned air force base on on the tip of long island used to be used in all kinds of experiments from WWII to the '80s. The theories of all kinds of bizzar metaphysical experimentation seem a bit far-fetched but they are backed up by tons of research. They're an incredibly interesting read, if nothing else.

#6 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Here's an article about it:

http://en.wikipedia....Montauk_Project

Edited by cheeseberger_en_paradiso, 02 August 2008 - 01:53 AM.

#7 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

A turtle shell is made from bone, its its skeleton on the outside of its body in a way,

http://www.tolweb.or...shellgirdle.jpg

So a turtle without its shell would not look like this. it would have no skin for one.
And its body would have no definition to it it would just be a blob wobbling on the ground, like a sack full of blood and organs.

Oh and as for it being fake why would someone put it near the ocean (it says it was washed up) running the risk of it being sent out to sea and no one ever seeing it.

ANNDDD there are many things in the ocean and no doubt on land that humans havent discovered yet.

Edited by leonie, 03 August 2008 - 10:11 AM.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have seen a couple other pictures of it taken from a slightly different angle. One of those indicates hoax (Photoshopped) because the shadows don't match. In order to get the shadow effect seen on that one the sun would have to be in two different locations.

As far as a turtle, a turtle's spine is fused to the shell. Clearly this creature has its backbone internal since no signs of damage can be seen on its back.

My thoughts are it's faked, and BTW, where is the carcass being examined? Where is the contact info where we can check to find the results of the exam? Is there REALLY a carcass at all????

#9 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

BTW ... is it wearing some kind of arm band? lol probably just seaweed but still...

#10 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Oh yes, I see what you mean about the shadows. It's faked most likely in photoshop. The head looks like a turtle though.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#11 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

[It looks like a dog's body with a turtle snout photoshopped on the head.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#12 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Honestly, I think it's a dog from one of the short-nosed breeds( bulldog, pug, etc) and the nose has simply decomposed more( perhaps been chewed by fish or something) than the rest of the body. If you look at a skeleton of a dog, the space where the nose would be does sometimes have a beaklike point to it that breaks off easily, and I think the angle of the photo is making it look more beaklike than it really is. As a matter of fact, looking very closely at this it looks like the "beak" may actually be a roll of fat or skin smooshed over from the downward side, with the nose-hole at the center of the face just below and to the right of the eye. Take a look at these for comparison:
http://www.evolution...-id/882065.html
http://www.evolution...-id/882025.html
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#13 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

I have seen a couple other pictures of it taken from a slightly different angle. One of those indicates hoax (Photoshopped) because the shadows don't match. In order to get the shadow effect seen on that one the sun would have to be in two different locations.

Im just wondering were you have seen the pictures ive looked all over the internet and cant find any other than that one.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Honestly, I think it's a dog from one of the short-nosed breeds( bulldog, pug, etc) and the nose has simply decomposed more( perhaps been chewed by fish or something) than the rest of the body. If you look at a skeleton of a dog, the space where the nose would be does sometimes have a beaklike point to it that breaks off easily, and I think the angle of the photo is making it look more beaklike than it really is. As a matter of fact, looking very closely at this it looks like the "beak" may actually be a roll of fat or skin smooshed over from the downward side, with the nose-hole at the center of the face just below and to the right of the eye.

I've just seen other pics, online. Unfortunately, they were pretty small, so I didn't bother grabbing them. This is clearly a dog. Something bit off its nose, but it is obviously a dog.

And gee...they'd even gone through the trouble of nicknaming it "Monty", too...

There go the souvenir t-shirt and plush stuffed animal sales...

They'd have done better if they had someone get rid of the carcass, and tell a drunken story to the press.

Better luck next time, Montauk! :Spaz:
Beannacht ort

#15 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

Its pretty cool though, its still a dead thing washed up by the ocean!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users