Oven turned off before gingerbread burned

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

I was baking gingerbread cake on Saturday. I set the oven timer. I closed the door to the kitchen and went into the living room to watch DVDs and play Frozen Bubble.

After awhile, it occurred to me that I had cake in the oven and hadn't heard the timer.

I went into the kitchen expecting clouds of smoke, and found the oven light on, which normally means that the heat is on, however the oven was cool. The gingerbread was cooked just right too.

I had not turned off the oven and should have found burned cake.

Sunday I tested the oven to make sure that the heating element wasn't broken (this oven is only a few months old), but it heat up fine.

Did my grandma's spirit help me out? I think so.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

You owe her some gingerbread! :P
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

It probably was her. :P
petunia4998

#4 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:48 AM

You owe her some gingerbread! :P

I told her to help herself, but she didn't take any. Perhaps she's watching her figure on the other side.

I reheated something in the stove last night and it heated perfectly.

There are times when I am really skeptical, and then some little thing like this upsets the apple cart.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#5 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

lol I forgot to tell you to be sure to thank her. :P
petunia4998

#6 ParanormalOuija

ParanormalOuija

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Must have been your grandmother : ). Just a way of showing she's still watching you :).
Rest in peace brother, We'll meet again one day. <3

#7 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

That could very well have been your grandmother!

Nice to know she is still looking out for you, eh? She seems like a useful ghost to have around as well. :clap:
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#8 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

Nice to know she is still looking out for you, eh? She seems like a useful ghost to have around as well.

I wish she'd wash dishes too.

#9 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hahaha! Poor grandma! I'm sure she did enough dishes in her lifetime that she is not going to do them from the other side. :clap:
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#10 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:01 AM

Hahaha! Poor grandma! I'm sure she did enough dishes in her lifetime that she is not going to do them from the other side. :)

She had a huge dishwasher while alive. When I stayed with her, I would wash what didn't go in the dishwasher. I suppose gingerbread is more important than dirty dishes.

#11 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

I love that story. My grandmother comes back and uses my kitchen to cook in, unfortunatly she liked and still likes to bake at 4-5 in the morning. Pots and pans bang, but she has never messed with the oven.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users