Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Ban spanking?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Ban Spanking?

Should spanking be banned?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:My husband<br />My dogs (puggle and golden retreiver)<br />New cities<br />Sports<br />USMC<br />Paranormal<br />Xray<br />Beach<br />Summer<br />

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

As many of you have heard California is talking about banning spanking. What are your thoughts?

http://www.associate....supported.html

here's the link

Id like to say my personal opinion. I dont think there is ANYTHING wrong with spanking your child as long as it is not in excess. I was smacked, belt, hand, paddle.... and i dont consider it abuse, just discipline. What are your thoughts?
"It didnt feel like the pain had weakend over time, rather that I'd grown strong enough to bear it " RIP Amanda Taylor"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret." Robert E Lee

#2 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Just another example of government control of the family.
Reminds me of Nazi Germany where children were told to spy and report their parents to the authorities.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#3 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

The occasional slap never did me any harm !

:ghost:

#4 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

There are parents who are too drugged out or drunk to know where their children are, parents that beat their child to to death for not saying please, parents that regularly leave toddlers at home in care of a 4 year old while they go to bars. Parents who have sex with their children, or sell them to others for sex. While I don't agree that spanking is necessary as punishment, I wish our government would spend my money working on real issues instead of enacting ridiculous laws with no basis, that they most likely don't even follow themselves. I think I can handle the moral decisions on my own thanks.

ps, link no good.

Edited by Amylew, 30 November 2007 - 05:25 PM.

There is nothing left to say.Me

#5 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

*Applause Amylew*
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#6 CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:My husband<br />My dogs (puggle and golden retreiver)<br />New cities<br />Sports<br />USMC<br />Paranormal<br />Xray<br />Beach<br />Summer<br />

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

ps, link no good.

Sorry!! But, i think everyone got the point, if not Id be more than happy to look up a new link.
"It didnt feel like the pain had weakend over time, rather that I'd grown strong enough to bear it " RIP Amanda Taylor"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret." Robert E Lee

#7 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

There are parents who are too drugged out or drunk to know where their children are, parents that beat their child to to death for not saying please, parents that regularly leave toddlers at home in care of a 4 year old while they go to bars. Parents who have sex with their children, or sell them to others for sex. While I don't agree that spanking is necessary as punishment, I wish our government would spend my money working on real issues instead of enacting ridiculous laws with no basis, that they most likely don't even follow themselves. I think I can handle the moral decisions on my own thanks.

ps, link no good.

I agree. And being a foster parent these kids you speak of end up in my home. It really is sad. The system slaps a band aid on the parent and sends the kids home and they end up back in the system, dead, in the hospital or on the streets. I have seen kids come into care with cigarette burns on them, raped, bruised, shaken and well the list goes on. TO this day I have NEVER spanked a child, including my own whom are now almost 25 and 21. (and I have had a total of 30 kids Including my own)
I am saying no to spanking. I am not saying it is wrong, there are some kids well that might deserve a tap on the bottom but I personally wont.

(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#8 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal happenings...and being able to discuss odd things without people running at you with a straight jacket!!<br /><br />Places I've had the luxury of investigating:<br /><br />Waverly Hills (Louisville, Kentucky)<br />Moundsville State Pen (West Virginia)<br />Prospect Mansion (Ohio)

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

I am a firm believer that there is a difference between spanking your child and abusing your child. In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with children today that have behavioral issues is the fact that children can do as they like with no reprecussions. The government has people almost afraid to punish their children in any way! I dont agree that spanking is ALWAYS the right choice to discipline a child, however I think in some way, children that misbehave need to be taught that there are consequences for negative behavior. If a child isn't taught at a young age respect and discipline, how can anyone ever think that as adults they will have those attributes? An unruly child that lives with no discipline will grow to be an unruly adult with no discipline. Which is the scarier version? An unruly child that can still be taught to respect others or an unruly adult that has never been taught respect and discipline? If I had to choose, I'd much rather deal with a child that needs to learn those traits than an adult!

P.S. I agree with Amylew! The government needs to be more concerned with finding a workable solution for the root of the problem instead of quick fix for the outer surface!

Edited by ~*Jazzy*~, 01 December 2007 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image Thanks Aloha!!!The MAN on the cover of GQ that is in my profile pic is the LOVE of my life!

#9 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

Jazzy, I fully agree with you! Wish I had said that.
It's the government part I have a problem with. Yes, I know everyone can come back with all the stories of unfit parents etc. But seems to me that kids know how to work the system, and know there is no owning up to their bad behavior. It's become almost like "you better not pop my behind or I'll report you" said to their parents and teachers.
I'm not saying spanking is the answer. Some children though, are so "testing" that a pop on the behind gets their attention. In my opinion, does not scar them for life!
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#10 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

A good spank will do good. As mentioned here and I agree, we can't cross the line from spanking to child abuse. My parents gave me a good spank once in a while it worked. What I remember is that they always used spanking as the last resort at least when I was a kid. I always liked the fact that from an early age they set the boundaries just by being talking to me. A firm verbal reprimand would always do it for me and that started at a young age. That was really effective because I can count in one hand how many times I've been spanked.

#11 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal happenings...and being able to discuss odd things without people running at you with a straight jacket!!<br /><br />Places I've had the luxury of investigating:<br /><br />Waverly Hills (Louisville, Kentucky)<br />Moundsville State Pen (West Virginia)<br />Prospect Mansion (Ohio)

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

How many of you parents have had to deal with your child threatening to report you for disciplining them?? My son tried that one time. I told him I would help him dial the number but to remember it would take them awhile to get there and in that time, I would give him a good reason to call and report me. He decided that getting in trouble and getting his butt popped once was a far better choice than to call the police on mom. NOW, I know that might sound like I would have abused him if he reported me for spanking him. That was not what the intentions were. Fact is, I smacked him on the rear for being mouthy and it made him mad. I simply meant that I would give him a real spanking and then he could have something to complain about! Needless to say, he has never made that threat again. It's really important to get your children to learn at a young age that they are not the one that calls the shots. They have to learn respect somewhere, and where else is better to learn it than at home?

Edited by ~*Jazzy*~, 02 December 2007 - 08:36 PM.

Posted Image Thanks Aloha!!!The MAN on the cover of GQ that is in my profile pic is the LOVE of my life!

#12 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

Back when my kids were kids.....They're in their 40s now, and that reporting thing was not around yet. Everyone had a pop on their behind at least once, and it didn't harm them. They knew that my home was not a democracy where everyone voted, nor was I ever going to try to be their friend. Being a parent isn't a popularity contest. I was their parent and the one in charge of keeping them safe and fed etc etc. This is where they learned to be responsible for their own actions. And learned to respect elders, just because they were elder.
What I see constantly, from children my gran-children's ages, is no respect. Either from the children or parents. Some of the scenes I've seen in grocery stores, made me wonder if I was in a nightmare! I feel so sorry for some of these children growing up now, as there is nothing taught at home, it's obvious. They curse at their mothers and she curses back! I stood behind it in check-out lines and bit my tongue until I had a headache. I'm blabbling and off the question.......sorry

#13 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Back when my kids were kids.....They're in their 40s now, and that reporting thing was not around yet. Everyone had a pop on their behind at least once, and it didn't harm them. They knew that my home was not a democracy where everyone voted, nor was I ever going to try to be their friend. Being a parent isn't a popularity contest. I was their parent and the one in charge of keeping them safe and fed etc etc. This is where they learned to be responsible for their own actions. And learned to respect elders, just because they were elder.
What I see constantly, from children my gran-children's ages, is no respect. Either from the children or parents. Some of the scenes I've seen in grocery stores, made me wonder if I was in a nightmare! I feel so sorry for some of these children growing up now, as there is nothing taught at home, it's obvious. They curse at their mothers and she curses back! I stood behind it in check-out lines and bit my tongue until I had a headache. I'm blabbling and off the question.......sorry

You just babble away hun! lol It all goes hand in hand! I too have seen the same thing and it is very hard to keep my mouth shut. I tell my kids all the time that because other kids are disrespectful, it DOES NOT mean that I will allow them to be. It's something I have never tolerated from my kids and now that they are teenagers, they push even harder, even though they just hit a brick wall!

#14 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

In my younger years, it was even ok for other adults to give light spankings (or chores) for misbehaving. It takes a village to raise a child, right?

In my family, we had a few rules regarding punishment.

1. Parents should not be out of control when issuing punishment. If they are still too upset, the child is sent to their room and the parent takes a walk around the block.

2. The parents explain why the children are being punished, and all children involved are always given the chance to tell their side of the story. Parents might miss the teasing that led up to the punch in the shoulder;). Motives may alter the outcome.

3. Children know the house rules and the normal punishment.

4. Spanking is a last resort.

5. All punishments conclude with a hug, and the child promising to do better.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#15 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

~I didn't re4ad the others' responses, but I have to say that although I'm far from a perfect person, the reason why I am the person Iam today (very loving, giving, etc...) is because I got punished growing up with spankings. There's nothing wrong with spankings as long as you don't do it for the most rediculous reasons (wetting the bed, having accidents in their pants, etc..). There's a line you must draw when it comes to punishment. I spank my children....but I have to admit that it takes alot for me to get to that point. Kids will be kids, this is the way it always should be. But when wrong is wrong....then well, you know.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users