#1 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Investigating the unknown.

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:48 AM

Many say that the art of Cold Reading is how fake tarot card readers and palmists manipulate their suckers.
Some say that the host of Crossing Over uses a souped up version.

Any ideas on how it works?
Just the facts, ma'am.

#2 PariahPeace

PariahPeace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

Funny, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this... I'm nearly finished reading John Edward's book, and I'm really unsure whether or not to believe he's the real thing. I'm a believer in the paranormal, but I try to have a healthy amount of skepticism, too. I'd like to believe that he really can do the things he says he can because he seems to help a lot of people come to terms with losing a loved one, but like you said, cold reading...it can seem very "real" sometimes.

He's coming to a convention center very close to where I live in October...I'm considering going. I think I'd have a better idea of whether or not he's for real if I were able to experience something for myself. I'm very curious.
Posted Image

#3 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

You know, what he does is something that is always debatable. There are those who think he's a fraud and those who say that he gave information that there is no way he could have known.

I guess you just have to take your chances. Even if you go, I don't think there's a guarantee that the spirits he sees are related to you. I don't think everybody in the audience gets chosen, is that correct?
petunia4998

#4 bathory313

bathory313

So SCARED she peed down her own leg!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, mysteries of the world, poetry, art, ghosts, evp, ghost photos, psychics and mediumship, esp, telepathy, psychic photography, guardian spirits, doing something good for others

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:21 AM

"Cold readers" can tell multitudes about you! They scope out what kind of jewelry you are wearing, clothing etc. They are also body-language experts. It's like when someone is lying there are a number of "tells"; such as rubbing the nose, looking to the left, raising the voice level, staring you in the eye, or putting a finger or hand over the mouth after the untruthful statement is made. Crossing arms is a defensive posture. Hands on hips is a confrontational gesture. Cold readers pay very careful attention to what you are saying, how you are saying it, and what body language you are using. Twiddling hair can either be a nervous gesture or flirtatious, depending on the situation. We make so many miniscule muscular movements when we talk, we don't even realize it. A good cold reader can pick up on that easily. That's why pro poker players wear sunglasses, hats, etc. They can better hide their "tells" this way. A cold reader will also ask general questions or make general statements, hitting here and there, until they see you react in some way, then they expand on the theme. As for what's his name on tv, he does come up with a lot of general stuff, but then he will hit something that he can't know! Or he will harp on one particular thing, the family says "no, huh uh, no idea", but later they will remember what the "Easter Bunny cosutme meant!"
Posted Image

#5 PariahPeace

PariahPeace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:11 AM

Even if you go, I don't think there's a guarantee that the spirits he sees are related to you.  I don't think everybody in the audience gets chosen, is that correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you're right...it's not promised that he would even pick me out of the crowd. I figure if I have extra money and go, I'd just be taking the chance of it maybe happening. Who knows.
Posted Image

#6 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

You know what? i think he's for real. I'd take the chance.
petunia4998

#7 PariahPeace

PariahPeace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

Petunia, what makes you think that? Just out of curiosity.
Posted Image

#8 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:46 AM

Well, I'm a psychic, and I have a good feeling about him, plus, my mentor, who is a much better psychic than I, feels good about him too and that's what clinches it for me.
petunia4998

#9 rat girl

rat girl

Iron Strangler that feasts on beer!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:my interests are reading, anything on the paranormal - checking out other peoples ghost photos and watching horror movie, reading anything by Richard Laymon, i like photoshop and other photograph program's. I live in Scotland with my partner, we have a mini zoo in our house. At the moment we have 4 rats, unfortunately 8 of our ratties have passed away, we also have 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 degus!!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Funny, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this... I'm nearly finished reading John Edward's book, and I'm really unsure whether or not to believe he's the real thing. I'm a believer in the paranormal, but I try to have a healthy amount of skepticism, too. I'd like to believe that he really can do the things he says he can because he seems to help a lot of people come to terms with losing a loved one, but like you said, cold reading...it can seem very "real" sometimes.

He's coming to a convention center very close to where I live in October...I'm considering going. I think I'd have a better idea of whether or not he's for real if I were able to experience something for myself. I'm very curious.

i have just finished reading john edwards book, i thought it was quite good, i have heard that people say he is cold reading but i dont think he is.

i dont know if any one has heard of gordon smith, he is quite famous. i seen him last year and i didnt think much of him. i think he is definitely cold reading.
Posted Image

#10 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Well, I'm a psychic, and I have a good feeling about him, plus, my mentor, who is a much better psychic than I, feels good about him too and that's what clinches it for me.

I agree!
It's a feeling you get when you watch him.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#11 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:14 AM

Many say that the art of Cold Reading is how fake tarot card readers and palmists manipulate their suckers.
Some say that the host of Crossing Over uses a souped up version.
Any ideas on how it works?

I can read for people I've just met, and since I'm not Sherlock Holmes, I don't infer that much about their external appearance. None of us can escape the impressions that experience give us, and we all make judgements based on another's appearance. Sometimes this is good and sometimes bad.

If you're walking home alone at night and you see a poorly dressed, unshaven, slouchy man approach you, what will you do? Your reaction may be based on self-preservation as opposed to a wish to be open-minded.

I base my readings on the ideas I get from my cards and my intuition as to what they represent. Perhaps those 'fake cold readers' are just using the basic intuition that we're all born with, and the good ones may be in better tune than the average person.

I'm not saying that all cold readings are good, but I have had them before, and in 30% of the cases, I come away with some insight.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#12 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

I feel that John Edwards uses a bit of cold reading. I feel he does get a certain amount of psychic power from spirits but uses the cold reading method in audiences to get the connection to certain people.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#13 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

I think he has gotten alot better, at first it was the letter thing, would drive me nuts....Someone with the letter j is trying to communicate with you. J is a very common letter.~H
Dont be afraid of the dead its the living you should fear!Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users