Photo

Wicca, Dowsing and the Paranormal :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maeve Rain

Maeve Rain

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Family, Animals, Dowsing, Shopping, Traveling, Hiking, Ghost Hunting

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hi! My name is Maeve Rain and I am new to the boards here. I have been following the Wiccan Path for about 7 months. I live in Charlottesville, VA. I have just started to explore dowsing as well. I have always been interested in the Paranormal and have had several personal experiences. Just wondering if there is any Dowsers, Wiccans or Paranormal buffs out there that would like to chat!

Maeve
[sub]Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illumines it. - Martin Luther King, Jr.[b]

#2 v-huntley

v-huntley

Provides a GREAT example!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:superstitions, cryptzoology, ghosts and anything else paranormal.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have been a wiccan for 9 years now, I have never used dowsing but I have alot of divination spells! I live in the UK!

Edited by v-huntley, 27 September 2010 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Master of the Unseen

Master of the Unseen

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Many and widely varied, however won't be sharing any of it here, because again I don't know you.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi Maevan, how are you? I am well versed in wicca and witchcraft, and my best advice to you would be to avoid dowsing and other divination all together. When you are divining, be it with a dowsing rod, or a ouiji board, you are asking outside influences to aid you and give you answers to certain questions. In doing this you not only call attention to yourself, but you open a door that something you may not want to meet can enter into. There have been numerous documented and undocumented cases of people being attacked, and oppressed by supernatural forces after they fiddled around with such devices, this is no coincidence. If you do your due diligence and research this yourself, I mean really look, you will find too many recounted stories about this very thing. Taking into account how many people don't post such accounts of what happened to them, you'd be wise to see the pattern which clearly exists and not use these devices.

Now indeed there is not much said about divining rods, that's only because not many people use them, they are too non specific, and not "cool" enough for most people, not something that can make a good parlor game. However I assure you, messing around with them is not a safe venture. Sure you may use it a thousand times and have nothing happen, however it's that 1,001 time that will get you. The risk is not really worth it. Also the truth is that people who have something happen, don't ever get anywhere near 1,001.

I'm not trying to scare you, just inform you about the very real risks. Some will say that divination is not a dangerous practice, however they have been lucky up until now, and in truth they do "not" know for sure that something bad may not have happened. Often these entities that can come through can be passive in their approach, but dangerous none the less.

Can such pursuits be done safely? I suppose anything is possible, but again, I ask why take the risks? As inexperienced as you are, you represent the majority of people who have something go wrong in such endeavors.

My advice, avoid divination of any kind. You are asking the spirit world for aid, and that aid requires you to open yourself up to these forces. It's an open invitation to possible disaster. Hope you heed my warnings. Good bye.

I have been a wiccan for 9 years now, I have never used dowsing but I have alot of divination spells! I live in the UK!

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I don't dowse myself (not actually Wiccan, but Neo-Pagan), but I have a mention in my late grandfather's memoirs of the use of dowsing.

My late grandfather was an Anglican minister. He mentions at one house they lived in in Guelph, Ontario (which is now part of the land encompassed by the Stone Road Mall) he used dowsing to locate water to drill a well on their property with great success. He stated that he could not explain how it worked, just that it did.

I am aware of the use of dowsing to locate mineral veins in addition to water sources, and have heard of it used to locate oil. The only 'divination' aspect that I am aware of in dowsing is the practice of using a chain with a crystal at the end over a map to locate missing people.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

I can't address any association between any religious beleif and dowsing. Nor can I make any claims for dowsing as a means of obtaining answers to questions or other such intangible queries.

However I can attest that dowsing as a means of location does work as I have done it myself. My personal belief is that it is not anything actually paranormal, rather a reaction to physical stimulus. Consider a buried water line for example. As such it interacts with the earth's fields. The body of the dowser is also within these fields. When the dowsing rods are held in a carefullty balanced state they remain stable. But when the field changes slightly due to interacting with the changes caused by the buried object, the body reacts slightly, changing the position of the rods. The rods in turn provide a visual indication of this change.

The above is simply my hypothesis as to how dowsing as a means of location works. can provide no conclusive evidence as I have done no experimentation along these lines. But using this as a basis it requires no religious or other belief structure, only the ability to sense changes in a field. As such it is more of a learned ability than a spiritual matter.

#6 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

I can't address any association between any religious beleif and dowsing. Nor can I make any claims for dowsing as a means of obtaining answers to questions or other such intangible queries.

However I can attest that dowsing as a means of location does work as I have done it myself. My personal belief is that it is not anything actually paranormal, rather a reaction to physical stimulus. Consider a buried water line for example. As such it interacts with the earth's fields. The body of the dowser is also within these fields. When the dowsing rods are held in a carefullty balanced state they remain stable. But when the field changes slightly due to interacting with the changes caused by the buried object, the body reacts slightly, changing the position of the rods. The rods in turn provide a visual indication of this change.

The above is simply my hypothesis as to how dowsing as a means of location works. can provide no conclusive evidence as I have done no experimentation along these lines. But using this as a basis it requires no religious or other belief structure, only the ability to sense changes in a field. As such it is more of a learned ability than a spiritual matter.

Thank you Caverat and also Vampchick, for sharing your experiences. I agree with Caverat on the last sentence, as my father and my father's side of the family are from a very old Appalachian family who used dowsing for simple, practical purposes. My father actually used it to locate water for a well on our old family homestead. My father is (was-he passed in 1992) an educated man (with a Phd) and not given over to 'wacky' notions, but equally open-minded, and he had learned from his mother about dowsing. It worked for him, and as Caverat so aptly put it, it really does not (necessarily) involve divination, but a learned skill based on real, concrete physical/physiological phenomena. As a means of divination, there I am not as learned nor have I experienced any result of divination. I would think that if we accept the idea that there is a basis in physics for the existence of 'ghosts', based also on electrical impulses of some kind, that 'divination' using a dowsing rod or other dowsing device may work on the same principle. I am sure to the more learned in physics, electrical engineering and other related paranormal studies, that may be extremely oversimplified, but thought it interesting nonetheless.
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users