Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

knock,knock were with the church or mormons!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:00 AM

AHHHH, yes.  That would be 'The Passion'.  Am looking forward to seeing it.  Spec., was your Mum Catholic?
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#47 SpectoralHigh

SpectoralHigh

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:22 AM

She sure was, and my grandmother was Protestant until she converted to Catholicism to marry my Grandfather.

#48 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:58 AM

Come from centuries of Catholics.  Two of my greatgrandmothers were German Lutherans and both converted to Catholicism to marry my respective great gandpas.  But the rest are Catholics.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#49 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:02 PM

All my ancestors were extremely religious (many were preachers).

In the 1830s and 1840s they converted to Mormonism and walked to Deseret.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#50 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:25 AM

Hmmm....I get both Mormons and J/W at my door...generally on a Sunday, sometimes on a Saturday.  

With the J/W..I did have one gentleman come to my door.  Now I cannot exactly recall, but he said something about a Greek King mentioned in the Bible as coming to rule the known world, and associated it with Alexander the Great.  History buff that I am, I pointed out to him that Alexander wasn't actually Greek, but Macadonian, although he did rule Greece at the time.  That started a long going weekly discussion about his J/W beliefs and my Pagan beliefs.  It was actually quite interesting.  And he brought folks from his group (Hey!  Meet the Pagan!)  One day, he asked me to attend his service.  I asked him if he would then attend the equivalent of my own faith.  He went dead white and I never saw him again.

With the Mormons, I always get the young men on their first missions.  I think they're about 17 or 18...not sure what age but they seem soooooo young to me.  (tip, you know you're a 30 year old woman when all 18 year old men look good enough to eat!)  I tell them that I'm Pagan, some seem a little shocked, some smile and nod, hand me a tract and go their merry way.  

It's my 6 foot biker husband that scares them, just by answering the door with his waist length hair and nearly full sleeve tattoos....lol

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#51 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

The other day I had a gentleman come to my door (JW I believe although I was in such a foul mood that he never got the chance to tell me - out of character for me...oops ) Anyway, he was accompanied by two young lads, approx 8 or 9 years old, who looked completely uninterested in spreading "The Word".  It was rather cold out, and snowing, and the boys looked chilled.  I don't mind adults walking door to door offering their religious views, in all types of weather, but is it really necessary to drag the young ones along?  How hard can the training program for this be, that you have to start at such a young age?  They teach people to sell vacuum cleaners door to door in just hours.  Is it just a ploy to reach the hearts of the people that you are offering your religion to?  What happens if you don't have young ones available?  Do you take puppies?  

Sorry, it just irked me, and I needed to vent.
Posted Image

#52 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

With the Mormons, I always get the young men on their first missions.  I think they're about 17 or 18...not sure what age but they seem soooooo young to me.  (tip, you know you're a 30 year old woman when all 18 year old men look good enough to eat!)  I tell them that I'm Pagan, some seem a little shocked, some smile and nod, hand me a tract and go their merry way.

There are age limits for unmarried missionaries in the LdS faith.  Young men serve 2 years.  They can be as young as 19 or as old as 24 when they start.  Young women, who serve 18 months, must be at least 21 in order to be a full-time missionary.

LdS may only serve 1 full-time mission while single.  If they desire, they (along with their spouse) may serve multiple missions after retirement.

Besides proslyting missions, we send out educational missionaries, construction missionaries, and humanitarian aid missionaries.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#53 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:26 AM

when the student is ready, the teacher appear! so why send out teachers? or shall I say preachers? ???
Posted Image

#54 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:40 AM

I will NEVER forget the time my Father was home on leave after being at sea for close to nine months and the first morning home J/W comes to the door. After confirming that he was indee a J/W my Dad asked the fellow if he'ld even seen the accident. The man had a VERY confused look on his face and said he'ld seen no accident. My Dad then said, "Well, if you didn't eveb see Jehovah's accident then how can you be his witness? So insurance people are so hypecritical." He then shut the door in the mans face and went back into the kitchen. I watched the fellow stand on our porch for about five minutes trying to figure out exactly what had just happened.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#55 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:57 PM

People who bludgeon others with their religious beliefs suck :P.

#56 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:16 AM

bludgeon! :P ROTFLMAO

for that matter any beliefs so long it is useful for the humanity as a whole!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users