Could I be a sensitive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Subatomic

Subatomic

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hey, I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice from people who may be more experienced in the paranormal field than I am. I've been having experiences for almost 7 years now.

I have always felt that I'm more "in tune" with the environment and energy in locations than most people are, and I seem to get sensory overload much more easily. I suppose I should start out with my experiences and go from there.

From the ages of 10 to 15, I lived in a house with my father and grandmother. It was an older house, built sometime in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Even before I had any experiences in my room, I had the feeling that I was not wanted in there and became uncomfortable spending any extended amounts of time in that room. I always felt as though someone was watching me, despite having the blinds and door closed. I got the same feeling in the basement of that house. It wasn't the "creepy basement" feeling -- it was just a feeling that I shouldn't be in there/that something didn't want me there.
When I was 13 or 14, the undeniable experiences started. I was standing in my room one day, and watched everything except my TV fly off my dresser and hit the wall on the opposite side of the room. I had a terrible feeling and trusted my instinct to just leave the room. Things would go missing from every part of the house and turn up days or weeks later in places where we KNOW we did not put them. I would hear footsteps outside my door every night around 9pm. I would open the door, thinking it was my dad going to bed, to say goodnight to him. No one was ever outside the door, so I'd call up asking if he just went to bed and he'd tell me no, he'd been in bed for an hour or so.
Then, one night a few weeks after seeing everything fly off my dresser right in front of me, I was laying in bed. I remember that I was talking on the phone, and all of a sudden, my bed started shaking. It obviously scared me, and all I could do was lay still and wait for it to be over. I hid under the covers and had this feeling that, if I opened my eyes and pulled the covers down, I would be face-to-face with something. After that, the energy in that room was so uncomfortable that I refused to sleep in there. I wasn't a young child being scared of the dark, I just felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable being in there at all. The sensory overload was so much that I would get nauseous, what I believe was due to the feeling of uncomfortableness and not being wanted and generally just feeling afraid.
I moved out of that house when I was 15, but my dad stayed there for awhile. I had brought my new dog over to meet him. When I tried to take her in my old room, she stood in the doorway in the defensive stance, growling and barking, and she absolutely refused to go in. She was fine in other areas of the house. During that time visiting him, he told me that he had also experienced his bed shaking and had no explanation for it.

After I moved to another house, I didn't have any experiences like the ones before, but I still got that feeling like someone was watching me every now and again. It was particularly strong after the elderly lady who lived in the house next to mine passed away. She had died alone in her house, and I had a feeling that something just wasn't right those few days before someone found her.
The only other experience I've had is after my grandmother (who lived with my father) passed. I was in my room at the house I was living in at the time, which she had never been to, and I caught a whiff of her perfume. It was a quick smell, gone within a few seconds, but it was a very distinct smell and I immediately recognized it. That night, I had a very vivid dream of my grandmother. She told me that everything was going to be okay and not to worry about her. That was the last time I've had an experience similar to the ones before.

Other than those experiences, it's always been feelings. Either picking up on a sad/distressed energy, or just feeling that something was watching me. I still have the feelings of someone watching me every so often in the house I live in now, particularly right before my dog stares at a corner (where there's nothing visibly there) and starts barking.
I've also always been good at picking up on peoples' emotions, even though they're not showing it. I can get easily distressed by a lot of loud noises, bright lights, etc. all at once, and need to remove myself from the situation if at all possible.

If it helps, I'm 19, female, and have been having experiences since the age of 12 or 13. However, there's not a time I can't remember being extra sensitive to feelings, emotions, stimulus, and so on.
I apologize that this is so long, but I figured it would be helpful to give as much information as I could. I'm not uncomfortable with the possibility of being sensitive, I just wanted to see if other people thought I could be or if it was something else. I'd also appreciate any information on how to work with the sensitivity or where to go from here if you do think I could be sensitive. Thank you :)

#2 Master of the Unseen

Master of the Unseen

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Many and widely varied, however won't be sharing any of it here, because again I don't know you.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

Well it certainly sounds like you may indeed have a gift. Unlike many here I'm not here to conduct a study or satisfy curiosity, so I will take your word for everything you have said. Far to many people here embrace more doubt than they should. Some is healthy, but too much of something is never a good thing.

Yours is a gift that has not developed to be "fully" on from the outset, which is good. Some people have this ability form a young age, and have to deal with it fully developed, lacking years of coping and adjustment. This can be hard. You ability sounds like what I have heard countless times, and it can be developed further, harnessed, or ignored. If ignored it will remain largely in the background, at the very edge of your awareness. You'll still be able to sense and feel things in a periphery sense, but it won't be overwhelming or at all difficult to deal with.

Now if you choose to develop it and use it consciously, like anything it will get stronger. Whether you wish it to or not is completely up to you. You have to ask yourself if this would have any positive or negative effect on your life, and whether or not you "wish" to be more powerful in these faculties you possess. There are a number of downsides to developing these abilities to their fullest potential. There can be a lot of stress involved, as you pick up ever greater background noise in regards to the thoughts and generalized feelings of others. This can be wearing on a person, and one would have to do more self maintenance to deal with the side effects of this. There is also the old saying that ignorance is bliss, I mean really, how much do you really want to know about other people. Much of these abilities will manifest anyways, but again, much more in the background, and they will be much easier to tune out, if you start developing them, focusing upon them, it will become that much harder.

many people feel that if they have one of these "gifts" that they have a duty to develop it. I am not one of those people per say. I have seen far too many people who have succumbed to the stress and difficulty involved in doing so. Or I have seen the opposite side of the coin, people becoming far to immersed in psychism and the supernatural, to the seclusion of all else in their life. That is not to say there are not people who find a balance, but humans seem to be creatures of extreme, balance is hard for us I think. It's also a simple matter of personal choice, and you do indeed have a choice. You need to stop and consider how developing these gifts further will effect your life. What effect being strong in these abilities would have in your life, and if those changes would impart more positive than negative side effects.

It's something you really need to think about, because psychic abilities can b both a boon and a burden. Many parapsychologists and others believe that a great deal of mental illness out there is caused by latent psychic abilities. I believe so as well, and it's usually people who are born with their gift fully turned "on". However it is just as often people like yourself who make a conscious choice to pursue these studies further.

The decision is yours, but think about the possible outcomes. It sounds like you are coping fine, and most of the things that happened to you sound like they happened during puberty. it sounds counter intuitive to counsel you "not" to pursue advancing these skills and abilities, as most people would. However I know a bit more then they do, and I've seen far too situations just like yours, that eventually went awry. Think carefully about how you move forward.

Hope I have been of some help, and I am sorry that no one replied to you until now, that is truly a sad statement about this forum. Take care of yourself.

#3 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hi, Subatomic and a belated welcome to GV
To answer your question, yes, it does sound like you're an Intuitive and you're coping well...you're listening to your instinct from a young age and its probably saved you a lot of grief or just plain being frightened
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#4 Castnet4fish

Castnet4fish

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

I'm wondering if I'm sensitive as well. Never thought much about it until recently while watching psychic kids (and I'm far from being a kid-age 45). I've always "felt" other people's emotions, and as a journalist, I use this gift of sorts every day. A lot of times I have to write about tragic events and speak with families of victims of crime. I always can put a person at ease even though I don't speak eloquently and other writers wonder how I'm able to handle this, how I'm able to describe the feelings, etc. But it's cause I feel them while I'm speaking to the person.
Lately, I've had this weird thing happen more and more often where I think something (song, phrase, tv commercial, etc) and someone near me says it out loud--sometimes we say it at the same exact time.
I tend to know things about people before they tell me about it too.
I've never seen ghosts, or tried to but the "feeling" thing I have with others is odd.
Could I be sensitive as well and what can I do with this gift?
PS, I'm not writing on here to use the info for my job, it's just that I want to understand what's going on.

#5 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

Welcome to GV. I believe you are a type of sensitive. There are several different types. Some just feel emotions and can read people as you do, some see ghosts, smell, some even can talk to spirits. Everyone at one point in there lives has these abilities (usually when they are kids) most ignore them so it basically hibernates. Some learn to use it. I myself have a little of all. I'm extremely good at reading emotions and if I look into someone's eyes I can read their soul and tell if they are truly happy, sad, troubled or what. You can use your to help comfort people as you have. The main thing with any of these gifts is to help others and not use it for your own gain. That's why some of us have been able to keep them is to help those that need help.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#6 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

I tried editing the above post but must of taken to long.

Anyway I know the original post were a while ago and one of the users is banned. I don't want what he wrote to change newer peoples views on us here.

Above we were accused or doing "research" on people seeking advice, that's a false accusation. Some people that look for advice give a vague general account on what's happening. So we ask for more info to get all the facts, so that we may give the correct advice.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#7 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hi, Castnet, I'd imagine that empathy comes in really handy while interviewing
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#8 Castnet4fish

Castnet4fish

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hi, Castnet, I'd imagine that empathy comes in really handy while interviewing

Sorry to keep bothering y'all but I had something happen today at work that is either me being "sensitive" or just plain common sense (probably the latter).
On Oct. 22 there was a tragedy in a nearby city. A man apparently killed his pregnant wife then killed himself. I had to report it and said a few passing words of condolence to the family of one of the deceased. But the issue bugged me for a while. Authorities were hesitant to rule murder/suicide because of family out cry and the investigation dragged on.
I hadn't thought about the issue for a while cause I know it takes time for the inquest. Then today out of the blue I was walking a hallway at work and the case popped in my mind. I made mental note to call the justice of the peace or sheriff's office for an update but got busy and forgot.
Got home late and surfed the local news sites and lo and behold there's a story (form other media), quoting the JP, who ruled the case murder/suicide.
Anyway, did I think about the case, out of the blue, because subconsciously I knew it would be about time to make a followup call or was it something else that made me think about this poor couple today?
I'm going to try and remember to document these coincidences to see if it's just a gut feeling or not. It's just that it hits when I'm NOT thinking about the topic.
Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users