• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 earthchild87

earthchild87

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hello all,

My name is earthchild87. I live in Salem, OR but am originally from a little town about 30 miles southeast of Salem. I have been practicing Wicca since I was 13. I know this sounds just like an introduction but I really am hoping to gain insight into a personal problem I am having with my faith.

Where I grew up its all farm fields and open nature, but since having my daughter and moving away from "home" into a more urban setting I feel like I've really lost touch with the Mother and Father. I feel like my energy connections to the earth and the feelings of nature are being slowly killed by the concrete and constant noise and air pollution. Its been really disconcerting. I often feel like I'm losing my faith, losing something that I hold very dear to my heart. I know I shouldn't feel this way, because there are a lot of other Witches in the world who practice in bigger cities and more polluted place than the capital of Oregon. I'm feeling really confused and somewhat frightened. I have always been a solitary practitioner and have no "siblings" or mentors to help me through this. I am almost to a state of desperation, frequenting spots here in Salem (and there are quite a few) where people of like faith's hang out, hoping that someone while notice my diminishing spiritual aura.

Is this all in my head? What do I do? Please someone, anyone, help me! I don't want to lose the precious connection I have with the elements, the earth, the moon, sun, and stars... I don't want to lose myself.

Blessed Be!
earthchild87

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

It sounds like you are being strongly effected by your move. Not including anything spiritual, a move from country to city is going to be disconcerting and is a huge adjustment. Adding the spiritual in there,,, what you are experiencing has been called "the dark night of the soul." Its something you just have to work your way though

When I was a child, I went from city to county very easily. Not so easy to do that when you are adult and used to one way or another.

What kind of place are you living iin? Apt? house? townhouse? There are ways to connect even in the city. Concrete is made from a combo of cement and a aggregate mixture (generally made of gravels or crushed rocks such as limestone, or granite, plus a fine aggregate such as sand), water, and chemical admixtures.

So what I am saying is concrete has a connection to earth. You can also do container gardening as well. Might be a way to connect. Any trees around? Get to know them..and don't be afraid to reach out to other wicca practitioners in the area and get some help though them.

Good Luck!
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

I moved from Eastern Oregon to Western Oregon...enough said right! Lol. When we first moved, we found ourselves taking drives (Usually towards Silverton or Stayton) just to see live stock! Had I ever thought in my previous life, that the sight of a few cows would excite me...I'd of laughed myself silly! Eventually we ended moving back to Eastern Oregon.

As a young adult I ended moving back to Salem however, and just moved from Salem last summer again. I find it amusing that no matter where I live...I seek out "country like settings". There are a few beautiful and quiet parks in Salem! I especially liked Orchards Heights park because it's huge, has an off-leash area and more trees then most other parks there. Here is a link to
cities park info page

Also...Driving out towards Sylverton and just getting lost in all the "back roads is very city relieving! What else...mmmm

Well...I think I just spent a lot of time at Orchards park and driving "away" from Salem. I wish you luck in acclimating socially and spiritually.

#4 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

you mention that you just had a child. how long ago was this and was it during the same time that you moved?
having 2 major changes in your life can affect you in many ways. moving from country life to city life in itself is hard to get used too, then to add a baby in the mix on top of the move is really tough.
I have to put it out there b/c i want to make sure you're being taken care of. If you just had your baby a little while ago please make sure you don't have the beginnings of post partem (not that you do, but in my experience you want to deal w/ medical issues first before dealing w/ your spiritual issues)

ok now that i've gotten that out of the way now onto your spiritual issue:
while i was in college (years ago) i had to move to a city, i also felt unattuned once i was there. to fix this i would find small parks in the area and just sit there and try to block out all the city life and just try to listen to the nature around me. I would also meditate in my shower b/c the water would ground me AND it was a way to connect to nature around me when i didn't have time to visit the park. Also (and i dont' know if you can do this) but getting an animal (like a cat) really helped me connect to natrue again too.

good luck!

#5 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

I moved from the country to a small city many years ago. I was fortunate in that I moved to a house instead of an apartment, and our yard is quite large. It made the adjustment a lot easier to have my own green space and flower beds, etc. One easy suggestion is to get yourself some nice houseplants. You don't have to go large, smaller ones that you can grow will do fine and cost much less. Just check at a good nursery and ask if they have starter plants (2" pots, maybe 4") and get a couple of them. Our Walmart has a few houseplants as well. By putting green, growing things in your home, you're bringing in some nature. Another thing that is fun is a birdfeeder on suction cups that can be put on your window - if you're not too many stories up. It's fun to see birds up close like that. I love birds and having my windows open so I can listen to birdsong every day. Do you have any parks nearby? Taking your daughter to a nice park, spreading a blanket on the ground under a tree and enjoying a picnic, good book, nice music is great. And by sitting on the ground, well, you do become better grounded! These are simple tips, and not to expensive. Good luck and welcome to our Village - hope you visit often!
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

I moved from a beach-front village of 5,000 people to a land-locked city of 125,000. In my apartment, I keep things to connect me to nature and my roots. I have potted plants, an aquarium, and lava rocks. When I first moved to the city, I used an ambiance CD when I was getting ready to sleep. I've learned the trails to the closest waterfalls and wilderness areas.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Oh, I forgot about having aquariums! I love having one. And I also forgot about those small, indoor fountains. You can get them at Walmart, Walgreen, Target, etc. for about $10-$15. They are small but pretty and the noise of the water is soothing.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#8 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

In your apartment you can create your own wall 'windows'.

I have huge posters with pictures of nature. In front of the kitchen sink, I have a large one of a pasture with lots of wildflowers that I bought at IKEA.

In the bedroom, which I have painted a light pastel green, I have art deco prints by Mucha and some tapestries with soft, natural colors. It feels like I'm in a garden. I also have dark, green sheets, which enhances the nature feeling.

I buy calendars with nice nature pictures, and after the year is over, I take out the pictures I like and hang them around the apartment. I've even blown up photos I took and hung them.

I have a diffuser, too, and use citrus-based oils that are really refreshing for the spirit.

It's tough living in the city when you're a nature person, so you have to cheat a little.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users