20 replies to this topic

#1 spotana

spotana

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 08:27 PM

Hey all~

Lately I have been pondering how people who don't have any specific religion believe in spirits/ghosts/demons. It seems for the most part that a great number of religions deal with a soul departing the body after death, or numerous variations of it. I guess what i'm wondering is how people who are Agnostic, or Athiest who share a belief in the paranormal come to the conclusion that ghosts/spirits/demons exsist.

As far as I know, the majority believes that ghosts are spirits of Dead people, and some use the word of God to keep oneselve safe from attack. It's just a thought and I just wondered what other's take on it was.

Maybe i'm just thinking too deeply, or i'm just extremely bored ;D
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell- Aldous HuxleyBuy "The Graveyard Shift" on DVD @ http://www.newgilpictures.org

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 December 2003 - 08:47 PM

I will also add on to this......

now, how does a ghost of one specific religion react to the rituals of another? Like, does a catholic ghost gets exorcized by Hindu rituals, and vice versa?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:15 PM

Hi,GhostHost, intriguing question,
Lets also remember that many organized belief systems also uphold the notion of a Judgment upon death and not trying to make light of the situation, but maybe that notion is responsible for many spirits choosing to not go on. Lets say a man in his 30's who had a very strict upbriging, but as he moved out,took a less conventional interp learns he has cancer. In his lastfew weeks,he starts pondering his life and thinks "DAYNNNNG! That 666 southbound express is going to be meeting me as soon as I face the Seat of Judgment!" as he remembers that he broke the commandments 10 times over. Lets face it, the idea of eternal punishment is hella scarey,as the more he thinks about it the more he starts recalling stories like Lot's wife being turned into a pillar of salt for letting her curiousity get the better of her and maybe he thinks, "How bad can being a spook be?" Sure'n its better than the alternative he was raised to believe.

Depending on the circumstances, most people who know that they're dying kind of revert to a spiritual childhood,I think. They're about to face the last great mystery all alone and seek comfort or understanding of what lies before them, like a child being frightened and begging Mum or Da to tell a story.

Hey, Moon, Also very intriguing. I read about a spirit Piper in Scotland who'd been exorcised by  but remained an Anlican Minister but remained*as a 15th Century Scot, he most likely was a Catholic

I'm moving this to Religion and Spirituality, where it should get a better repsonse
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#4 Paul_G

Paul_G

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:59 AM

I'm agnostic, and I believe in ghosts because I've had stuff happen to me. If I hadn't had experiences, I probably wouldn't believe in them. That's really the attitude everyone should have... I mean why take my word for it, right?

They're spirits of dead people, but beyond that I don't have an opinion on why they're here, because I don't have a clue.

Agnostics believe in an afterlife for the most part, so its not really a shock to my belief system to have ghosts walking the earth. I just don't like organized religion. I don't believe in living my life a certain way or looking down on other people because some religious figure tells me I should.

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:59 AM

but if all the DEAD people becomes Ghosts, well, why aren't we encountering them all? In our belief it is said that those souls whose bodies are not laid to rest as per their belief system when they were alive re destined to roam around. And also, somce people who have their minds attached to certain material things are also destined to BE BACK in here!

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:36 PM

Like I mentioned in another post, I am LdS tainted by local beliefs.

I make two distinctions when classifying ghosts and apparitions:  those explainable by Scripture, and those that can't.

I believe in the devil as a literal being.  The book of Revelation tells us that a third of the hosts of heaven followed him and became fallen angels.  These beings are mere spirits - they've never enjoyed life in a physical body.

Sometimes the spirits of those not yet born into our existence may visit us.

Finally we come to the spirits of the departed.  My grandmother came to me the night of her death to give me encouragement and comfort.  The next morning my parents informed me of her passing.

OK, now for the ones that don't fit the dogma of Christianity.

Certain aparitions seem to repeat the same actions over and over.  My personal theory is that emotions (especially strong ones) are recorded into our surroundings.  My best personal story about this would be my encounter with the Night Marchers at Hukilau Beach (you can find this true story on my website).

One Halloween I was on the Big Island taking photos at Hale Maumau.  When I developed the film, there was an extra face in one of the frames.  Only the head showed up.  Lava flowed where a body should have been.  This face matches the description of Madam Pele (the fire goddess).

How do I make this mesh with my Christian upbringing?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:33 AM

One Halloween I was on the Big Island taking photos at Hale Maumau.  When I developed the film, there was an extra face in one of the frames.  Only the head showed up.  Lava flowed where a body should have been.  This face matches the description of Madam Pele (the fire goddess).

would you like to share the photo? you can post it in the spiritography section!

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:40 PM

would you like to share the photo? you can post it in the spiritography section!

Let me see if I get my scanner working.  My Big Island vaction was in 1994 - before I got a digital camera.

I've never tried to take pictures of the paranormal before. In fact, I thought I was taking photos of my group (including Michael Jackson!) in front of the caldera.  No, not *that* Michael Jackson.  The photo in question was just of the fountain and lava flow.

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:48 PM

In fact, I thought I was taking a photo of my group (including Michael Jackson!) in front of the caldera.  No, not *that* Michael Jackson.

Thank God it was not "that" Michael Jackson! [smiley=cwm27.gif]

#10 spotana

spotana

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 06:56 AM

Thank you everyone for helping to clarify your belief's on the how ghosts/spirits manifest. I directed the film "The Graveyard Shift" about the now defunct "Ghost Hunters, Inc." in Pennsylvania and of course I followed them on a few hunts and their practices used; involved using "Jesus or God" as protection. I asked one of the members the same question I asked here, and they really didn't know how to answer it, as they were Christian, and only knew their beliefs.
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell- Aldous HuxleyBuy "The Graveyard Shift" on DVD @ http://www.newgilpictures.org

#11 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

Thank God it was not "that" Michael Jackson! [smiley=cwm27.gif]

ROTF!

The Michael Jackson in my group is white and very tall.  He was born before The Jackson 5 were popular.

#12 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 02:03 PM

ROTF!

The Michael Jackson in my group is white and very tall.

I sooooooo am biting my tongue on this one [smiley=cwm27.gif]

[glow=red,2,300]Welcome GhostHost [smiley=cwm7.gif][/glow]
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#13 spotana

spotana

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 03:34 PM

*THAT* Michael Jackson is the scariest Ghost i've ever seen!  ;D

You might see his career floating around somwhere in the spirit world...it's been dead a looong time!

#14 shtina

shtina

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Reading, rock climing, nature hikes, Research on the unknown,and taking my kids to their games.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:53 PM

That's a good one GhostHost!
If Angels had Wings; Devils had Horns:Then By Golly, We where given Thorns!!!!!1

#15 spotana

spotana

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:00 AM

I do what I can ;D

Robbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users