Dream Catcher

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 05 November 2002 - 06:49 AM

Being interested in the Indians way of things, just thought I would share this :)

The Legend of the Dreamcatcher

Long ago when the world was young, an old Lakota spiritual leader was on a high mountain and had a vision. In his vision, Iktomi, the great trickster and teacher of wisdom, appeared in the form of a spider. Iktomi spoke to him in a sacred language. As he spoke, Iktomi the spider picked up the elder's willow hoop which had feathers,horsehair, beads and offerings on it, and began to spin a web.

He spoke to the elder about the cycles of life; how we begin our lives as infants, move on through childhood and on to adulthood. Finally we go to old age where we must be taken care of as infants, completing the cycle. "But", Iktomi said as he continued to spin his web, "in each time of life there are many forces; some good and some bad. If you listen to the good forces, they will steer you in the right direction. But, if you listen to the bad forces, they'll steer you in the wrong direction and may hurt you. So these forces can help, or can interfere with the harmony of Nature. While the spider spoke, he continued to weave his web.

When Iktomi finished speaking, he gave the elder the web and said, "The web is a perfect circle with a hole in the center. Use the web to help your people reach their goals, making good use of their ideas, dreams and visions. If you believe in the great spirit, the web will catch your good ideas and the bad ones will go through the hole." The elder passed on his vision to the people and now many Indian people hang a dream catcher above their bed to sift their dreams and visions. The good is captured in the web of life and carried with the people, but the evil in their dreams drops through the hole in the center of the web and are no longer a part of their lives. It's said that the dream catcher holds the destiny of the future.
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#2 Cindy

Cindy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:12 AM

That was nice Spirit..thanks for shareing :)

I know  diffrent variation though.There are many hat vary from tribe to tribe.That one is the Lakota version and a nice one it is..isnt it :)

The one I know says that..the dream catcher is placed above the head of a sleeping person.The Good dreams go thorugh the hole and the bad ones are c aught in the web.

Not sure variation that is though.I ll try and find it..

Native American Legend
~ ~ ~
...good dreams slip through the web and into the sleeper during the night...bad dreams become caught in the web and are perished by morning light.
~*Lifes Blessings*~ ~*Cindy*~

#3 Cindy

Cindy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:27 AM

So far this is what I found..

The Old Ones tell that the night air is filled with dreams - both good and bad.
These dreams are believed to be messages from the Sacred Spirit.
Good dreams hold great power, they are the source of all wisdom.

Dreams drift about at night before entering into the minds of the sleeping ones.
To keep the dreamer safe at night, the Old Ones created a special web, the Dreamcatcher, to hang above their sleeping places.
At star time the Dreamcatcher moves freely in the air catching dreams drifting by its web paths.

Bad dreams, not knowing the way; are entangled in the strands of the web, they will evaporate with the first rays of a new daybreak, like the morning dew on the grass.
Good dreams will float gently down the trail of beads of the web and via the feather drift down into the mind of sleeping one below.

The Old Ones believe the Dreamcatcher to hold the destiny of the future, it is a good luck charm.
The dreamcatcher blesses the sleeping one with pleasant dreams, good fortune and harmony throughout their life on earth.

If you believe in the Great Spirit, hang a Dreamcatcher above your bed.
It will guard your nights and catch all your dreams and allow only the good dreams to pass through.

And when the sun rises in the morning, as darkness disappears, so will your entangled bad dreams melt away in the morning sunlight.

#4 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Cindy.
I have heard many variations myself, I think its just one of them things where as time goes by the story is told alittle different each time but with the same meaning, lol :)  I have had a dreamcatcher, I still had bad dreams, but maybe its because it was next to my bed and not over me, hehe :)
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#5 Cindy

Cindy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 06:07 PM

Yeah I think so too.The same story just told a diffrent way.I think they all have a bit of the truth in there somewhere :)

#6 Persia

Persia

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 06 November 2002 - 04:42 AM

I think that Dream Catchers are purty.  ;D

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#7 Cindy

Cindy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 04:50 AM

Yes..I have seen some really beautiful ones.

#8 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 11:18 AM

I have made dream catcher for several years now.Each one is diffrent and I think beauitful.I also do mandellas and medicine wheels.I guess it's the N.A. coming out in me :)
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 May 2003 - 03:52 AM

the moon light catches the silver tears I cry...........  :'(

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#10 MoonChild

MoonChild