• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Okay, I've got a question about a piece of eqiupment that always tends to get members in an uproar on this and other boards...the Ovilus :lol:

I don't want to debate the pros and cons; I'm not even sure where I fall in the debate. This is strictly an operational and "how to" question. I own an Ovilus FX, which has the upgraded vocabulary. I understand only 20 were made, but I assume the Ovilus I is essentially the same. The machine has a "line out" jack for connecting to a recorder, which works well. However, this allows me to only record the Ovilus side of the conversation, as connecting the "line in" plug in to most voice recorders inables the recorder's microphone. I have a Zoom H2 (sold my H4n...darn!), as well as some higher-end Olympus recorders. Does anyone know if there is any way to connect the Ovilus to allow both sides to be recorded? Just recording with a recorder's microphone without any line connection isn't an option, as it is not always possible to hear the Ovilus clearly, espcially out on location.

Thanks for any advice!

#2 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

"Sounds" like a mixer.
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

OK. No Ovilus bashing....

You have stereo capability, why not modify the external mic ckt? Get the stereo plug that is required, only this time use a single mic on one channel and the Oviluis on the other. Cheaper than a mixer.

But a mixer will work well too.

#4 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for not bashing CaveRat LOL!!

Good question Ten-I own an FX, and yes the built in speaker sucks. CaveRat is right, you can use one channel of your H2.

What works for me is a better outboard speaker. I first tried the radio shack clam shell speakers that everyone seems to have. Well, not much better. What I found was an MP3 speaker (local Walgreens), no bigger than a paperback, that is powered off of 2 AA's and you can hear it crystal clear across the room, and with my H2 is clear as ever. Just be sure to use the SPK jack and not the AUX jack as that leaves the FX speaker on and drains the battery quicker. Don't forget in dictionary mode, you can dump the words to your PC via the data jack.

Question back to you, what sensitivity level do you find works the best on your FX?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#5 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for not bashing CaveRat LOL!!

Good question Ten-I own an FX, and yes the built in speaker sucks. CaveRat is right, you can use one channel of your H2.

What works for me is a better outboard speaker. I first tried the radio shack clam shell speakers that everyone seems to have. Well, not much better. What I found was an MP3 speaker (local Walgreens), no bigger than a paperback, that is powered off of 2 AA's and you can hear it crystal clear across the room, and with my H2 is clear as ever. Just be sure to use the SPK jack and not the AUX jack as that leaves the FX speaker on and drains the battery quicker. Don't forget in dictionary mode, you can dump the words to your PC via the data jack.

Question back to you, what sensitivity level do you find works the best on your FX?

Thanks for the advice CaveRat! That's a simple solution that I didn't think of. I also have a powered speaker, so I'll give Boatlesspirate's idea a try as well.

Boatless...I usually use my Ovilus FX with "sensitivity set at 100" in "combination" mode. I've only had the opportunity to use it a few times, but got pretty impressive results in Gettysburg last year. I've found that it's nearly impossible to not get some kind of result in Gettysburg, whether photo or audio. A very active place if treated with the respect it deserves. I'm looking forward to going back. Anyway...what settings on the Ovilus have worked best for you? What's your opinion of it? On second thought, maybe I shouldn't ask. It may start a war on this site...lol

#6 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

send me your email and I can share-for some reason I cannot send you mine through the forum
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#7 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

[quote name='boatlesspirate' date='Jun 10 2010, 04:10 PM' post='547181']
send me your email and I can share-for some reason I cannot send you mine through the forum
[/quote

The site won't allow me to send, either. However, I don't mind giving it out: Ten301@aol.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users