Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Halloween 2016 - Our Topic of the Month!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

For years I’ve been asked if there are more ghosts around in October because of Halloween. I used to have an elaborate answer about how the general population tends to pay more attention during this month because of the holiday, though folks like me are interested year-round, but then my view changed. I realized the short answer is: Yes. Yes there are indeed more ghosts around in October. 

I stand by that answer, too. Because for thousands of years we’ve had a collective agreement that the veil between the world of the living and world of the dead is at its thinnest, and now ghosts can meddle in our affairs. I thought my earlier answer showed more evolved thinking about the subject. But now I see I was wrong. 

I’ve come to accept that any ghost experience is a form of communication. And the very definition of communication involves more than one party. If you walk into an empty cave and start talking, and no one is around to hear you, you aren’t communicating. 

With the ghost experience there must be a sender of the message and a recipient (or multiple recipients). Even if the message is witnessing an apparition glide by, or hearing an intelligible voice or knock, there’s still some impression left on the witness. And that impression leaves a mark. 

As a society, we’re more open to receiving that message in October because horror movies, ghost stories, and Halloween decorations remind us to be a little bit afraid. That fear naturally opens up all of our senses. And we embrace a subject that we might not think about in, say, March… 

…of course folks like us still do think about ghosts in March… and April… and so on. 

Seventeen years ago… almost to this very day… Ghostvillage.com was born. The seed that grew into this Web site was planted much further back than that. But 17 years ago that seed sprouted as we put a stake into the cold, unforgiving ground and hung our rusty shingle creaking in the breeze upon a side street of the Internet. 

During that time, I’ve watched my knowledge and belief of the supernatural and paranormal change and evolve. With each new experience I read about, or person I interviewed, I feel like I gained more detail in an otherwise blurry picture. I’ve forged some great friendships, and I’ve watched debates about this subject devolve into bitter arguments because people couldn’t step outside of their own belief systems long enough to see another point of view. That’s the difficult part. 

Mostly, I’ve grown as a person. I’ve found in some regard, I’ve grown more skeptical than I was two decades ago. Yet at the same time, I’m more absolute in my belief that something happens after we leave this mortal coil. 

The best news is that I know I’m not done learning and growing. My worldview is free to continue its evolution. And with each new story I read, each person I interview, and each conversation I have, I continue to see that I’m part of a huge discussion: what happens after we die? We’re all part of that discussion, and each of us ponders the question at some point in our lives… 

…but October. Halloween. Samhain. This time of year reminds us of our mortality. It reminds us to have the discussion in whatever forum that suits us. 

As I reflect back on 17 years, which turned into authoring over a dozen books, working on several television shows, and giving hundreds of lectures on the subject, none of it would have happened without Ghostvillage.com, and the thousands of you who make up this community. So for that, I’m grateful. 

My Fall tour is pressing forward as well! I’ve seen so many folks already in the last month, and there’s still another month to go. I’ll be all over New England, in St. Louis this Saturday, Old Mill Parafest in Michigan November 12, and anywhere else they’ll have me. 

I’d also like to thank those of you who have donated to my #Climb2Cure for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I’m training for Mt. Kilimanjaro in March, and you can help support me and this great cause. You can make a tax-deductible donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on my page here: http://pages.teamint...mjr16/JBelanger I’m already at 21% of my $25,000 goal. Any donation is appreciated. 

Have a great and haunting holiday!

Supernaturally yours, 

Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users