• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blueivvy

blueivvy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 07:18 AM

Last night my group went out to investigate a purported haunted house.  We never should have been there.  This house was so vile three of us almost vomited during the whole five minutes we spent inside.  On top of that, the two occupants, who both appeared female, claimed to be legally married hermaphrodites.  There was evidence of drug use...serious drug use, not just a joint laying around, and these two women were NUTS.  They claimed that one of them had wasps incubating inside her and that every couple of days one would work it's way out through her skin.

Obviously, our screening process needs some work.  How do other groups out there go about deciding which cases to investigate and which to stay far, far away from?

#2 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:51 AM

Good question.  I'm sure lots of groups have come across these kinds of problems.  Again, I think this post could go either here or the General board, so for now, I'll let it stay here since we are looking into how groups carry themselves.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:16 AM

Um....no, we would never have this problem and I will tell you why:

The first thing that is done usually is a telephone contact.  Talk to them for a few minutes and "feel them out" a bit.  The next thing that happens is you get the interview forms to them and have them filled out.  At this point you never have even been inside the house.  When they fill out the interview form it is designed in such a way that you will know if there are major problems like you describe.  I would then say that I wouldn't do the investigation.

If you would like to see the interview form that we use send me an email and I will get it to you. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Selemat

Selemat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

I'm glad you're safe.  Before looking at how you could improve your screening, I want to take note of the things you did right.  I suspect that most problems occur when people trespass in the name of ghost hunting.  Those people who either do not bother to ask permission or, worse, disregard posted "No Trespassing" signs take huge risks.  The most obvious risk is being shot at by someone who mistakes the investigator for a burglar.  In addition, sometimes landowners post "No Trespassing" signs to try to prevent liability due to safety concerns, such as people getting injured in a decrepit abandoned house.  The other excellent thing you did is to leave immediately when you sensed that something was wrong, be that something an evil paranormal force or a living person who intends to harm you.  

I never investigate alone.  I always carry a cell phone or walkie-talkie, and I always tell someone where I will be.  Whether my concern is an unsafe building or unsavory (living) characters, I prefer to look the site over before dark and never by myself.

Hindsight is 20/20.  I would have taken the steps which I just discussed, but I can't say for certain that I would have seen the danger ahead of time.  

Good luck to you!  

#5 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

That's just nasty the more I reread your post Blue, LOL!

So these two people contacted your group and you went out to their home, thus finding the state of these two people and the home itself?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#6 blueivvy

blueivvy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Oh, Akthra, it was so much worse than what I posted here.  Just be glad computers can't transmit smells...it was foul, foul, foul.  Even the painted walls were covered in grease, never mind the joys the bedroom held.  *ugh*

These two women caontacted a ghosthunter friend from another group.  Her group was unable to make it, and so she asked us to come out with her.  She *said* she checked the people out (we assumed this meant phone interviews) and drove by the house in daylight.  We never should have trusted her.

Turns out, the only contact was email, and this *friend* didn't allow them to tell her details because she didn't want to taint her *super-psychicness*.  (So let somebody freaking else ask the questions!!!!)  She did drive by the house, but didn't seem to think the scary neighborhood or trashy yard warranted comment.  She had phone numbers but didn't bother to use them.  I am just as disgusted at her as I am at those two people and their rat-infested hellhole.

When I typed the homeowners name into google, the first result was her personal website detailing her and her hermaphrodite lovers, complete with pics of this person as male and female.  That was all she had to do; one google search and she would have known something was awry.

That was Saturday night.  Today, one of our group members feels like she has the flu.  Peachy, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users