• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#31 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:57 AM

Hey Akthra... thanks for using the words "self-empowerment". That says a lot and I think it gets lost in the world of religion today. Still doesn't help me out when considering so little time and so much to do! lol.
Don't be a newt!

#32 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:59 AM

Oh hun...lol...that Homosexuality debate is long and basically unanswerable in the end.  I know that the one part in the Bible (Old Testement) that rules homosexuality as an abomination (right up there with eating shellfish and pigs...) was once defined to me as a covenent between God and the Hebrews.  See, it also tells you in that particular book (I can't spell it, so I won't try), how to properly sacrific things to God.  

I did have one Christian friend explain to me that having Homosexual feelings was not a sin, that it was not a sin to be ATTRACTED to your own gender.  It was ACTING on that attraction that was a sin.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#33 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:02 AM

Here's the deal, life sucks but some choose to turn to religion to cope while other are capable of taking it head on.

anasuya, actually that was not off-topic. I asked that if a god existed why he would allow such a thing to happen if he condemned it.

#34 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:04 AM

Oh well, that's true. my bad. lol. But did I answer your question?
Don't be a newt!

#35 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:06 AM

Oh hun...lol...that Homosexuality debate is long and basically unanswerable in the end.  I know that the one part in the Bible (Old Testement) that rules homosexuality as an abomination (right up there with eating shellfish and pigs...) was once defined to me as a covenent between God and the Hebrews.  See, it also tells you in that particular book (I can't spell it, so I won't try), how to properly sacrific things to God.  

I did have one Christian friend explain to me that having Homosexual feelings was not a sin, that it was not a sin to be ATTRACTED to your own gender.  It was ACTING on that attraction that was a sin.

See there's a contradiction there. Somehow I think it just a way for homophobia people to give an answer for they feelings about it.

#36 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:08 AM

The question of course is to ask if it's wrong to need God in order to cope. I mean, after all, we can't disprove he exists, so does it do more harm than good to believe and, like Hawk said, not face life head-on? I often wonder this myself.
Don't be a newt!

#37 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:12 AM

When someone dies, probably most people preach to their deity to cope with the loss...but how would I know since I've never felt that way(yeah..Im immune to death, well not death itself but the emotions that come from losing someone).

#38 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:15 AM

I think humans by and large through history have always had a need to believe in something higher than themselves.  

Just wanted to draw an interesting paralell here though....ya know the creation myths I posted earlier?  Ya know the Big Bang theory?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm......

Oh, and hawk2k3 hun?  :)  I kinda agree with you in regards to the contradiction about homosexuality.  I just don't have an answer at all there.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#39 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

My brother-in-law, a devout Christian, once told me that I cling to paganism because it gives me control over my life... he said it like it was a bad thing. So, is the purpose of believing in God to let go of the control in hopes that some vague, supposedly divine force will see us through?
Don't be a newt!

#40 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

When someone dies, probably most people preach to their deity to cope with the loss...but how would I know since I've never felt that way(yeah..Im immune to death, well not death itself but the emotions that come from losing someone).

You don't feel sad when someone you love passes over?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#41 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:26 AM

feeling sad is one thing, accepting the reality is another

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#42 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

You don't feel sad when someone you love passes over?

Nope, nada, zippo. Sorry no sadness...a bit of amusement, but no sadness.

#43 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

Wow this is the first catching eye thread. Look how many responses it got right away and I keep adding story lines to my own thread Jasmine, lol.

Well my opinion is that there is a GOD to everyone. There are so many beliefs that I try not to offend anyone. I do think that GOD made us and he is one person/animal/anything basically.

The world has shown us its good times and bad. GOD works in mysterious ways rather he is believed in or not.
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#44 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:18 PM

Wow Hawk. I would wish my husband wallow in sadness all the days of the rest of his life should I die before him. lol.

I still wonder, though, if we're doing ourselves a disservice by believing so fervently in a divine force which might lead us to neglect living life on our own terms.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#45 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:23 PM

You know, from my POV, religion dictates how one should and probably does control the direction of thier life regardless if they even want to go in that direction. Religion is not about God, but a way to control lives!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users