A question of ettiquette?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

I am curious, if your paranormal group is asked to do an investigation, and through the course of the investigation you discover a potential for carbon monoxide poisoning, should you ask the client to pay for any devices to detect the presence of carbon monoxide?
I.e. the cheap stick on testers you can get from Wal-Mart?

Or is it expected that your group would provide such equipment?
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

#2 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

Strutural and environmental issues should belong to the client. Especially safety concerns. Many communitees require smoke and CO detectors. But things like hornet nests, bad flooring, poor mechanical and electrical installation and detection devices are the client's responsibility.

These devices are portable and maybe not a bad idea to have in your tool kit just for the safety of your team, but its not rude not to supply them permanantly for the client's use. Things that you find that require attention should be included in your report, but we are not ususally building inspectors or structural engineers.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#3 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one in your kit. I don't have one but that's just because I haven't been investigating for a while so I hadn't updated my cases yet. If it came up in a case where it could be a possibility you can always make suggestions to have such things or to get a monitor. Then make some recommendations on what to get. I would include it in the report. But if anything you can't rule out anything else just because you suspect it. You never know it could be a combination of Co2 and a possible haunting. Strange field this is. You never know what you are going to come across. One other thing, this is one of the reasons my groups use to do pre-lim interviews and investigations. It might be something you can pick up before you actually investigate. Then you can be prepared. Make sense. I don't think it's expected of your group to have these things but it wouldn't hurt to be more complete too.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#4 balo

balo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

If the group doesn't have one then the client should be notified. I'm sure an arrangement can be made as to who will provide and who's to be reimbursed.

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

Actually if a level of CO were detected, it could resolve the case. Thus it would be included in your report to the client. If I encountered a measurable level, (I'm assuming that you detected it and can provide the client with the PPM reading) it would be quite possible the haunting itself may be hallucinatory due to CO poisoning and could be the summary conclusion. It becomes imporatnt that the cause be identified and remedied before any additional investigation be conducted.

It falls on the client to determine who to contact and have the work done. It is beyond the liability level of any paranormal investigator to actually take the remedial action, or supply components to detect its presence. For instance if you provided the detector, and the client became ill or died as a result of a failure in the detector you provided, guess whose neck is in the noose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users