• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

I am particularly pointing out the part where you mentioned the teenagers in your post, I'm 13 years old and I have something to say about this.

I understand where your coming from, and I understand your point of view. If some kid came up to me and told me they just saw a dead person, still being the believer I am, odds are I would have skepticism. I would just have to be there to believe it, and I know how you feel.

I don't think anyone who isn't a psychic/medium/sensitive/ wouldn't be able to put themselves in their shoes, it just doesn't work that way. I rarely come across someone who claims to be psychic you I believe, because I can't get in their head and look out of their eyes.

Don't ask how so many people become believers, especially when half of them haven't seen anything with their own eyes.

That's all I have to say about the subject,hope it helped.

M
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#17 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

I've never seen a koala bear with my own eyes. I've seen them on television, in movies, in pictures in book and on the web, but I've never come face to face with a koala bear. But because there are all these factual things out there I am fairly certain that if I were to walk down the street today and stumble across a koala bear I would have no problem knowing that it is one.

I did see something I would like to say is a ghost with my own eyes once. It was indistinct with no discernible features other than limbs and a head, translucent, emitting it's own light to a certain degree and when I tried to touch it my arm passed through it. Yes, there are TONS of supposed photos of ghosts in books and on the web, even some videos and GAGGLES of people who have also experienced something similar. But unlike the cute and cuddly looking koala these things aren't something we can readily examine and understand. Actually, there is not one piece of evidence to support ANY of the ideas of what ghosts may be. Sure, we've got supposed EVPs, videos, pictures, but there isn't anything out there to suggest that what we are looking at or listening to are the spirits of dead people. It all reminds me of the Indian parable of the blind men and the Elephant:

John Godfrey Saxe's ( 1816-1887) version of the famous Indian legend,

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approach'd the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, -"Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he,
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Then, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL.

So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

There are so many teams out there now that readily use the popular ideas of what ghosts are to fuel how they research and also to support their findings, which is all fine and dandy and is a lot more than what real science is doing, but at the end of the day we are still not one step closer to knowing what a ghost is. Because of the lack of evidence there are a lot of blind folks out there tugging at elephants. Without the evidence to fully support the existence of ghosts there is no way anyone can claim to know what they are. Personal beliefs are just not enough to go on, especially when it influences the information we offer clients or on our own websites. It's ok to say we have ideas as to what ghosts are, but nobody can explain what they are based on their own beliefs. Being skeptical allows me to entertain all the ideas and keeping myself open minded to them, but also able to not jump to conclusions until there is soild information out there to tell me what it is a ghost is.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users