Light as a Feather Stiff as a board

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ashott

ashott

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

So I am just wondering if anyone else has heard of this game and if it has worked ?

#2 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I found two sites for you.

http://www.castleofs...levitation.html

http://en.wikipedia....tiff_as_a_board

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

40 years ago when I was almost a teenager there was a popular game going around using that phrase. One person would lie on the floor with 3 people on each side and one at the shoulders. Everyone would chant that phrase and after a set number of repetitions they would raise the person off the floor using two fingers of each hand. It works by distribution of the weight amongst the number of people kneeling around the person on the floor.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#4 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

I participated in this game when I was a child, say 12. As I recall, we turned the lights down, had one "body" two people on either side and my cousin at the head. (This was at the success story of the family's house, which was a huge sprawling place with a kid activity room well away from where the crazy Norwegian relations were getting loaded). My blueblood relations would have never allowed this lack of supervision, 1960 ).

Anyway the chant was "He/she looks sick ",(repeated by everyone), " He/she looks very sick" (repeated), "He IS sick" and so on until it was "He looks dead, and he IS dead" at this point everone lifted up the person.

I can't begin to speculate what principles were at work here but this trick DID work. We couldn't lift another kid up with a total of 8 fingers, no way. As a test we even tried it cold. When it worked the person was LIGHT.

I was one of those lifted. At the time I was 145 lbs.( Neither I nor my sons can float in water. It's some sort of high bone density/muscle affair) When they lifted me I felt "out of myself" I was in an elevated mood. Maybe that's not right either but I didn't feel real attached to my body.

Always the irritating little scientist I insisted on control lifts spoiling an otherwise enjoyable evening. So yes, the game works. Work by candlelight, get a little lit yourself, but no laughing, sad is best. It's not that hard to get it to work.

Edited by Markway, 22 January 2009 - 02:43 PM.

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

In Hawaii, our variation works thusly:

The body would sit in a chair with four people around him / her. Each of the four would make a hand motion over the body's head to "cut gravity". Each of the four would put their two index fingers into their assigned position (arm pit or knee) and everyone would lift up. No words are ever spoken; the "magic" comes from cutting gravity.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 Sheal

Sheal

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Interesting how cultures play a role in the variations of "light as a feather" game. The basic version was chanting light as a feather, stiff as a board through out the whole game. I, myself, have never played this game ever.

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Yes, I've played it... And yes it did work. The last time I played it though I weighed about 90 lbs at 5'6" so of course I got chosen, but there were only 2 others and they were able to lift me to where my nose was barely touching the ceiling. Part of it probably had to do with my weight (not an ED, my stomach doesn't empty correctly and at the time I was vomitting most of the food I ingested)
Love life.

#8 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:13 AM

Can anyone here from GV actually post a video of themselves doing this?
YouTube probably has stuff on this, but you don't know if those are fake. At least here (most) people are serious about this.

Whatever

#9 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hypnosis plays an obvious role here. The question is, who's being hypnotised? An even better question is, " Is the easy lifting actually taking place?".

The more I read about hypnotism the less sure I become about what is possible. Want an example?

I don't know if the "trick" is still performed or not, but during the last 1000 years and right into the 20th century the Hindu rope trick was performed. This took several forms. It was usually conducted at night. A rope was seen to ascend, an assistant ascended, descended, was chopped to bits by the master and then descended from the rope. Variations had trees growing in seconds instead of rope, and sometimes the trick was done during the day. It was well known that some fakirs used wire to support the rope.

A British journalist was determined to film the trick, and to his mind he succeeded. HE observed the full trick, assistant etc., but when he developed the film it showed the fakir to come outof the crowd, throw a rope down on the ground and then stand with his arms crossed for the next half hour, not moving a muscle. Does this clear anything up?

Firstly it only proves how one person did the trick, but how does anyone adjust perhaps 100 people's reality with only casual contact, so that they all see the same thing? This solution opens up as many questions as it answers.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#10 Chrltt

Chrltt

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Urban Legends, taking photoes, the sims2, but theres so many to think of

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

A couple of my friends have done this and it worked for them, as in the person being lifted was elevated at a high distance.

#11 +EvilApparition+

+EvilApparition+

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Namaste Yoga, Meditation, Music

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Yes, it does work, only if you really believe in the mystical force behind it and the Ouija board.

#12 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Tried it once when I was teenager. It half worked. The upper body started to try to float but the lower half was still grounded.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#13 Ghostride

Ghostride

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Figuring out the paranormal

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I have never believed any of this. Makes me think of the Bloody Mary deal. I used to try that one all the time and NEVER once got anything out of the ordinary
If we can see our own reflection in the mirror, then what does a ghost see when they appear?

#14 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:53 AM

Can anyone here from GV actually post a video of themselves doing this?

As in my previous post, let's put this urban Legend to rest and provide some video evidence. Hopefully a legit one.

Whatever

#15 angelia79

angelia79

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Of course all things paranormal, in addition to: Reading (alot), Music, MORE Music, UFC, MMA, Football, MORE Music, laughing at my pet (a Goffin's Cockatoo named Chico (he's CRAZY!!), training at the dojo, working, fishing, spending as much time with family as possible; you only have them here on Earth w/ you for such a short time, hanging and playing XBox 360 w/ my 11yr old son, spending time w/ the love of my life, Dave, we've been together just about 13yrs. .....hmmm.... can't think of anything more at the moment...

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

We did this a long time ago...maybe around grade school.....and some continued it through high school. We also did this thing where the individual would lie flat on the floor, and we would put them in a "trance"-like state. We'd tell them to picture different things in order like this: "make your mind see nothing but the color black, picture a winding staircase, climb it, you're standing in front of a door, open it and walk through.....what do you see?" Each time the individuals would literally stand themselves up, start walking around as we asked questions about what they saw...or what was happening. They'd start doing things in reaction to what they saw in their mind...making the motions of being in this other place and moving aound doing things in it. It was done to me once.....and when I "woke up" I couldn't remember a thing I did or said. My friends said I walked all over the house yelling at someone and started throwing right-hooks and uppercuts at someone who wasn't there. I didn't remember it at all. Was it a "trance" or did I fall asleep and start dreaming. But then, if it was dreaming...why did whoever was in the trance respond to our questions and suggestions?
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far. Shine on you crazy diamond!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users