microphone for EVPs?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, computers, trains...

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

Just a follow up,

I haven't located my cassette recorder yet.. Wasn't in the box I thought i was in. ( was hurt during the move last year, and just left a lot of stuff boxed)

I have tried a few more EVPs using my computer, but nothing detectable, but I have tried other software (Audacity, that a found a link to the other day). I've had a bit better luck reducing noise with it. I lets me use double the sampling rate of the Creative Labs sound recording software.

So with a little luck, maybe I'll be able to get a useful EVP in the future..
KentLondon, Ontario

#17 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

If you are recording directly with a computer be aware most computers have internal fans for cooling which can create a white noise effect. This can easily be misinturpreted as something recorded if this sound is sampled. Audio paraedolia is a possibility if this happens so keep any mics some distance away from the computer itself.

#18 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, computers, trains...

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

If you are recording directly with a computer be aware most computers have internal fans for cooling which can create a white noise effect. This can easily be misinturpreted as something recorded if this sound is sampled. Audio paraedolia is a possibility if this happens so keep any mics some distance away from the computer itself.

Yes, it has a few cooling fans (I originally built it 6 years ago as a high end gaming machine)
I am keeping the mic a good distance from it, but I'm sure some of the fan sounds is being picked up..
KentLondon, Ontario

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users