Mansfield Reformatory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

I am going to be there the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been there, either for a tour or an investigation, (I'll be on an investigation) and if you have any tips or suggestions.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#2 Dreamgirl09

Dreamgirl09

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

I have been there for 2 days and it was the scareiest night of my whole life.
"Hymoo.com" - "Create Revolution"- Help Us Spread The Word!

#3 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

I am going to be there the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been there, either for a tour or an investigation, (I'll be on an investigation) and if you have any tips or suggestions.

A very erie place to visit and to investigate. This place is very active with many spirits. You won't have a problem finding them. But the only draw back is, it is a very dusty place. Orb shots have to be dismissed as evidence of the paranormal. Also take the tour during the day. I would do that before you go at night. Collect as much history as you can before you go in at night. Let us know on how it went. Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#4 aftermidnight

aftermidnight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

I would love to see some pictures afterwards, that place seems creepy.

#5 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

A very erie place to visit and to investigate. This place is very active with many spirits. You won't have a problem finding them. But the only draw back is, it is a very dusty place. Orb shots have to be dismissed as evidence of the paranormal. Also take the tour during the day. I would do that before you go at night. Collect as much history as you can before you go in at night. Let us know on how it went. Dave

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I'll be attending the conference Saturday, with the speakers finishing up around 4 I think. Then it's a couple hours break and we will all go to the reformatory. As I understand it, we are the only group that will be there that night. I'm grateful for the tip about the dust. I'll make sure I take some masks along. What do you suggest for recorders then? If photos aren't reliable, I'm guessing we should consider trying to get evp's.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#6 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I'll be attending the conference Saturday, with the speakers finishing up around 4 I think. Then it's a couple hours break and we will all go to the reformatory. As I understand it, we are the only group that will be there that night. I'm grateful for the tip about the dust. I'll make sure I take some masks along. What do you suggest for recorders then? If photos aren't reliable, I'm guessing we should consider trying to get evp's.

You are welcome! How many will be in the group? Being in a group is very hard to take EVP. Analog and digital will pick up the faintest voice. They are very sensitive on any voice or noice being produced. Be aware of your surroundings when recording. One person should do the talking and DONT WHISPER! Like TAPS does! Any voice recorder will work. I have 2 digital and 1 analog recorders. I use all 3 of them. Your best bet for this place is to use a video cam corder. You can still take pictures but you will pick up many "orbs" in them. Do you have a EMF detector? They would also help ya on locating them. Be careful while there. It is not the safest place to be walking around in the dark. You will see. And NEVER go alone!!!!! Always have a buddy with you. If you are alone they will try to "attack" you. Always have your eyes and hears open at all times. Good luck and let us know on how it went!! Wait till you see this place! Your jaw will drop! Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#7 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I don't have an emf reader. (Are they pricey? I'm not employed and watching my pennies) I do have a camcorder though, and recorders aren't that much so I might pick one up. I'm not too sure how many there will be this year.

Last year, the first WISP conference, I would say there were 50/70 including the hosts/speakers. We were in a tiny Iowa community with several locations to investigate. We split up into three groups that night and were in three buildings, rotating after a time. I am not sure, but this might be what they'll do again. I think if we were a group of 75 people, the noise and confusion would be terrible in any location.

#8 grimshawl

grimshawl

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:all things paranormal, cemetery photography, odd and forgotten history and locations, fishing, reading, gaming.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have been there twice on overnight hunts and didnt end up having any experiences at all. Now that doesnt mean I am saying the place isnt haunted, it simply shows that different people or nights can have different levels of activity. The place is huge and has alot of different areas that even a large group can split up and investigate without steping on each others toes as long as they are carefull with the noise they make while invstigating. Good Luck, I hope you have a great time.
Still full of Wonder at the Worlds Workings, looking for some of the ansers and most of the questions. Lost and Found Ohio

#9 AbbeyGal

AbbeyGal

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

I was there once and didn't get much either. However, a lot of that was due to the timing. We were there in November on the very last night of the season that they were holding hunts. Instead of limiting it to their usual 50 (or was it 75) people that they usually allowed per night, they tried to accommodate as many people as possible. I think the final head count was over 120 people. It was so noisy and overrun in the main cell blocks that we didn't even attempt to investigate there. Thankfully, a lot of people left after about 2, so anyone that stayed the full night had a better chance of finding something. The other problem with the timing was that I have been told by investigators who go there on a regular basis that the spirits there get bored with the whole thing by the end of the season and stop interacting with people as much.

How did it go?

#10 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Dave you were right. My jaw did drop when I drove up the driveway. It is huge! My camera pooped out on me so I didn't get any photos. If I had taken any during the investigation, all that would have shown would have been dustorbs I'm sure. I was thankful of my dust mask and there were a lot of people there who told me they wished they'd brought one. I ended up with a group that a couple of the confernce hosts were in. I did sit in an infamous chair while an investigator snapped pictures from several angles. There were evp sessions there and in the warden's quarters as well. I'm hoping that as these folks go through their evidence, they will share anything with me. If so, and if I get permission, I'll share with the Village. I did have an experience near the end of the evening and when I'm rested up a bit, I will post it in Personal Encounters. The trip was killer but I think I'd go again if given the opportunity - especially if I could go with a group of experienced investigators. I really learned a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users