Photo

Turkman

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ruinedangel

ruinedangel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Location:x1|Schenectady|USA|usa|493|81|NY,New_Yorkx1|Schenectady|USA|usa|493|81|NY,New_York

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:04 PM

Living in upstate NY, I find that we've got tons of urban legends that aren't too widely known outside of the area. Take for example, the story of the Turkman:

If you drive down Rector Road in Glenville, NY late at night, often you'll see a man who carries a flashlight and a shotgun walking up and down the road. He's a real guy, I've seen him, and it doesn't matter what time of year or what the weather's like, he's always there.

I've heard two stories as to why he does this, 1) His wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident while he was out of town, and when he learned of her death he snapped and started searching for the car that killed her. 2) His daughter disappeared shortly before her wedding and he's still looking for her.

One has to be careful though, 'cos the Turkman has been known to step out in front of cars and start screaming at the passangers. Plus, Glenville cops patrol that area pretty well and they'll stop anyone that they suspect of harrassing the Turkman.
I forgot how to fall asleep.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:25 AM

Welcome to GV RuinedAngel!Hope you enjoy the stay! ;D
Posted Image

#3 ruinedangel

ruinedangel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Location:x1|Schenectady|USA|usa|493|81|NY,New_Yorkx1|Schenectady|USA|usa|493|81|NY,New_York

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

Awe, thanks! This community rocks my socks!

#4 SakuraRavenloft

SakuraRavenloft

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Location:x0|Central|USA||0|0|NY,New_Yorkx0|Central|USA||0|0|NY,New_York

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

Wow I've never heard of that one! And I'm from upstate NY. Do you have any more legends you can kindly share with us? And welcome to GV!!!

-Sakura

#5 ruinedangel

ruinedangel

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

There's a ton of stuff, you've just got to look for it. Like the abandoned asylum in Amsterdam, the haunted murder/suicide house just outside of Albany, stuff like that.

It's been a while since I've been urban legend hunting, so I'm a little hazy on some details. Lemme get back to ya on that.

#6 rok_royalty

rok_royalty

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

poor man probably will never rest in peace and when he does die.. he'll haunt that place for ever =

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

Welcome to GV and enjoy the stay rok_royalty
Posted Image

#8 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

ARe you serious? Do the cops really stop people for harassing an urban legend? lol. That's actually really cool to see a town take a legend like that so seriously. I think it adds a nice ambience to the area.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#9 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:23 AM

Why does Rector rd ring a bell to me? Is there a Rector cementary?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#10 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:05 AM

Why's he called Turkman?

#11 joemama143

joemama143

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Turkman is real. i saw last night. he was holding a baseball bat and wearing black pants with a wifebeater. the baseball bat was under his arm pointed out towards the road. im pretty sure he walks from 1-4am every single night no matter what the weather. stares down every driver and has shaggy hair down to his shoulders. its pretty creepy.

#12 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

Huh. Do y'all have anything more on this?

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#13 Koala769

Koala769

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes, I have some more information on this United States Vietnam Veteran. Yes, that's right.....this man served his country honorably and kids have been harassing him for over 20 years. I first learned of this man from my parents who live in the area. I met him about 2 years ago in the middle of winter in a snow storm during the day. My wife and I had actually had gotten our minivan stuck in my parents driveway (who weren't home at the time and the house was locked up) because of the ice and snow. He spent 2 hours helping me shovel the snow and ice off the driveway so that we could get out. He is not your average looking man, but that's what PTSD (shell shock) will do to some people. He was very nice and talked just fine.

LEAVE this American Hero alone! He just in the last year had one of his legs amputated over at the VA Hospital. Yes, he was known to walk to the streets......but it's not for the reasons you might think. He would walk up and down Rector Rd cleaning, yes that's right, picking up trash and sweeping the street. He doesn't deserve to be harassed. Let's put this Urban Legend to REST!!!!

#14 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

That's such a sad story, and even sadder that it has picked up status as an "urban legend." It does remind me, however, of a similar person in my area. They call him Doug the Pointer and he'll walk along the main road with his umbrella and just stare and point at passing vehicles. People who have talked to him and asked why he points always get the same answer: "Only the government and I know."

His back story was that he was also a Vietnam Vet who lost his wife and daughter in a tragic accident, causing him to snap mentally. This man even had a FaceBook page dedicated to him, but then one day he just mysteriously disappeared. Turns out that the guy is the father of one of my sister's and my boyfriend's friends. Both the man's wife and daughter are alive, but apparently there is a history of mental illness. Those in the know say he's doing rather well on his meds now and that is why he is no longer out walking the streets. Again, another sad case, but hopefully one with a happy ending.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#15 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Kind of sounds like the story surrounding one of the homeless guys in Carlisle. Story surrounding him (That I heard in HS) is that he used to be a Dickenson College professor who had a drug slipped in his coffee (I don't remember if one was mentioned when I heard it.) and that caused him to lose it mentally, so he wanders the town. He was known as Professor Pissypants. Yeah, not the nicest of nicknames, but this is coming from a buncha HSers. Sadly, it's been a few years since I've seen him around town, so I don't know what happened to him.

Edited by LycanGhost, 26 July 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users