• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lifeanddeathtours

lifeanddeathtours

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

Join Life & Death for a special ghost tour with celebrity guest Richard Felix. Investigate Salem's most famous haunted sites with a world renowned paranormal expert.

Before the tour, attend a special presentation by Richard. He will talk about his time on Most Haunted and his paranormal research Also hear details about his upcoming book, "What is a Ghost?.

Space is limited.

Buy Tickets now at www.lifeanddeathtours.com

#2 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

I know this should not affect my opinions, but I am always a little extra skeptical of those that wear black trenchcoats and similar "Ghost Busting" attire.

I just can't help myself.

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#3 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:01 AM

Join Life & Death for a special ghost tour with celebrity guest Richard Felix. Investigate Salem's most famous haunted sites with a world renowned paranormal expert.

I would LOVE to go, unfortunately I live in France and it's not in my travel budget to travel to the US in August. I can only hope that Richard Felix has such a great time on his trip to New England, that he'll plan another one in the off season when I have the money to travel and the airfares aren't so high.

His outfit looks more like an Aussie in his trench than a ghost buster. Those guys wore green work outfits and had strange equipment strapped to their back. He's been participating in the Ghost Chronicles International podcats on Toginet and I think he's tops.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#4 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

His outfit looks more like an Aussie in his trench than a ghost buster. Those guys wore green work outfits and had strange equipment strapped to their back. He's been participating in the Ghost Chronicles International podcats on Toginet and I think he's tops.

Hi Carlotta,

Heh heh, I did not mean to say that he was dressed like the "Ghost Busters" in the movie. What I meant by "ghost busting" attire was the sort of semi-uniform black clothing that you see people who are on TV shows and the convention/speaking circuit wear. I am sure that you know what I mean. It is a style that many small paranormal investigating groups imitate.

It could be broadly put into two catagories:

1. The tactical costume. It starts with a black T-shirt, but can grow out of control very quickly, with S.W.A.T. type logos, black combat clothing, vests covered with pockets, etc. It can be argued that this clothing is very practical, but I maintain that it is worn primarily to convey an image.

2. The mystical costume. Used mostly by psychics but some tv hosts don it as well. It will vary between a somber Johnny Cash suit to a black leather vampire costume with ruffled collar & cuffs.

This may sound petty to run people on the TV down for dressing up. Like I said above, I know that this is influenceing me when it probably should not. However, when I see someone dressed up like this, I know that I am looking at a bit of theatre. It makes me feel that they don't have much to offer in the way of real knowledge or evidence.

I do not mean to spoil your appreciation of Mr. Felix though. For what it's worth, I always enjoyed him on Most Haunted. I did not really take what he was saying as objective truth, but he presented it well. Maybe I need to give those podcasts a listen.

Regards, Canis

Edited by Caniswalensis, 06 August 2009 - 07:56 AM.

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#5 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Richard Felix is a top historian here in UK, a fantastic guy and great to listen to !!!

Mark

#6 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

What I meant by "ghost busting" attire was the sort of semi-uniform black clothing that you see people who are on TV shows and the convention/speaking circuit wear. I am sure that you know what I mean. It is a style that many small paranormal investigating groups imitate.

1. The tactical costume. It starts with a black T-shirt, but can grow out of control very quickly, with S.W.A.T. type logos, black combat clothing, vests covered with pockets, etc. It can be argued that this clothing is very practical, but I maintain that it is worn primarily to convey an image.

I did perhaps fear you were running down delightful Mr Felix. He does come from the wet, cold UK, so I'm not surprised that he's wearing the Aussie slicker. It is very practical for giving ghost tours in bad weather. The cross he wears for protection from bad spirits.

Granted, he also has a persona that is condusive to his job. Would you take seriously someone who was dressed in a flaming red tuxedo or a Fonzie jacket and duck tail when taking a ghost tour? To be successful in a job, you dress to type, whether it's suit and tie for the business office, or an old rock t-shirt and jeans for the computer development lab (I'm a tech writer, I know what they wear).

I can agree that sometimes an outfit of a 'paranormal' person can seem over the top, but they're dressing for the job and maybe they actually like the clothes.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#7 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

What I meant by "ghost busting" attire was the sort of semi-uniform black clothing that you see people who are on TV shows and the convention/speaking circuit wear. I am sure that you know what I mean. It is a style that many small paranormal investigating groups imitate.

I did perhaps fear you were running down delightful Mr Felix. He does come from the wet, cold UK, so I'm not surprised that he's wearing the Aussie slicker. It is very practical for giving ghost tours in bad weather. The cross he wears for protection from bad spirits.

Granted, he also has a persona that is condusive to his job. Would you take seriously someone who was dressed in a flaming red tuxedo or a Fonzie jacket and duck tail when taking a ghost tour? To be successful in a job, you dress to type, whether it's suit and tie for the business office, or an old rock t-shirt and jeans for the computer development lab (I'm a tech writer, I know what they wear).

I can agree that sometimes an outfit of a 'paranormal' person can seem over the top, but they're dressing for the job and maybe they actually like the clothes.

Carlotta

Hi

To be honest, I do not take anyone givng a ghost tour very seriously, because it is just entertainment. That does not stop me from seeking them out and enjoying them, though. I would actually prefer tours given by someone that was wearing old jeans & a t-shirt, because that tells me they are not as much into the theatre aspect of it. They are not trying to create a false image or spooky atmosphere by dressing like someone in a horror movie. They are just being themselves & giving a tour. Plus, that would mean it was OK for me to wear my old jeans & t-shirt! :D

Let me say that I feel like Mr. Felix is very good at what he does, but what he does is purely entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that at all. As I said before, I enjoyed his segments on most Haunted quite a bit even ,lthough he typically displayed a much lower standard of evidence on the show than reasonable for a paranormal investigation. Now that I think of it, I would leap at a chance to take a ghost tour given by him. I would just not allow myself to confuse what he was telling me during the tour with objective fact.

I guess I was trying to make a point about the entertainment versus truth, and the affectations of some ghost hunting groups. It was probably ill-advised of me to come into this thread and pop off about that. The thread is about his tour date, and I should not have been throwing cold water on that. I apologize for doing so. Please do not let my butt-in-skie posts spoil your enjoyment or appreciation of Richard felix's considerable talent.

Sincerely, Canis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users