Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#77 hellpaso

hellpaso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:paranormal experience/research for over 30 (ouch!) years

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:56 PM

wow---moon and others---you all live in such beautiful places on the planet. i've always wanted to go to india. i have a sculpture of Ganesha in every room! i live in the "city of palms" in deep south texas. have any of you read the books or seen the films by larry mcmurtry about "lonesome dove"? that's where i am. mesquite, live oaks, ebony trees, prickly pear cacti, texas sabal palms, etc. i need to learn how to post pix. yee-ha!!!

#78 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:40 AM

Waves of Indian Ocean hahahaha

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

Those pics are awesome Moon. I envy anyone who lives by the ocean.

#80 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

OOOooooohhhhh, Monnie!!!! Those pics tug on my heart strings..... makes me miss growing up on the beach........
.........and you look so consumed wiht peaceful awe..........
Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#81 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

I live in Cincinnati. We don't have a beach, just a polluted river. It's known for people eating chili and cheese on spaghetti and racial riots.

Posted Image

It's also known for sports teams that make me swear a lot and get depressed. Our football players are routinely in the news for being arrested.

Posted Image

Cincinnati does have some great places for live music, art museums, one of the best zoos in the nation, and one of the largest fireworks shows in the world on Labor Day.

The weather is weirdly unpredictable. It could snow one day and be 85 the next. I'm moving to California soon though!

#82 BellaRose

BellaRose

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:My SON (the Sunshine of my Life!!!!), Reading,<br />Bellydancing, My Pets, Sharing Information.<br /><br />ROSE &amp; THE TAROT<br />I have been studying the TAROT for 25+ years and have given readings to both the Famous and Non-Famous alike.<br />I have NEVER charged for a reading....<br />I studied extensively with Shekhinah Mountainwater<br />(1939-2007) from 1998 thru 2000. I was ordained as a Priestess in 1999.<br /><br /><br />QUIZILLA<br />CHECK OUT MY QUIZZES, POETRY, &amp; POLLS:<br />http://www.quizilla.com/users/6CentsRose/

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Well,
I'm from Santa Cruz, California ( Berkeley originally) ....
Land of the Fruits & Nuts! :)

This is the view I had for 3 years while living in the very creepy, haunted Santa Cruz mountains. I lived about a mile and a half from the BROOKDALE LODGE on the same road & river...
Howden Castle...
Every stone used to build this castle was brought over from Scotland.
Posted Image

The Hotel I dreamed of 10 years ago...BAYVIEW
Only to walk in last Christmas Eve and almost faint...
Posted Image

And this house may look mildly familiar to you...
Know why?
It was the inspiration for the Bates Motel in Hitchcock's PSYCHO
Posted Image

#83 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

Crossposted from my LJ blog:

Managed to slip over to the Historical Society for a few the other day...

When I was little I remembered often going with my grandma to this restaurant called The Teogra. At the time we went there, it was probably actually rather rundown, but as a child unable to recognize the signs of threadbareness and 20-year-out-of-date decorating fashions, it seemed very elegant, almost magical---I suspect that air of faded grandeur may even have had an influence on my developing sense of aesthetics, really. However, no one else seemed to remember it at all and I was beginning to think I must have imagined the whole thing.

Well, of course the reason for this post is, I found it! Not the Teogra itself, of course, it's long since gone, but I found proof that not only did it exist, it really DID have at least some pretensions of real elegance at one time. It opened in 1960, and advertised flaming dishes (Baked Alaska?) brought to your table, and nightly performances by Eugene Jelesnik and Carlos Arroyo( which suggests not only a very fancy restaurant but perhaps also a somewhat lower origin for our Utah Symphony than many people may imagine!). It remained open through 1987 and was then demolished for the expansion of the O.C. Tanner Co. parking lot. Actually I think when I was little I thought O.C. Tanner's fountain belonged to the restaurant and that made it seem even more elegant. It's kind of strange to me that something that recent could have so soon been completely forgotten even by people older than me...

Next, there's this pawn shop not too far from me that has this weird silo-like structure on the back that I had wondered about, so I decided to investigate that. Apparently, it IS a silo! From 1934-58, it was occupied by the Granite Feed & Hardware store( originally Granite-Cash Feed, for the first year or two). It's strange thinking that, within living memory of some of our parents and grandparents, there were enough farm animals in the vicinity of what, for at least as long as I've been alive, has been more or less of a red-light district, to warrant having such a place( which evidently kept immense quantities of animal feed in stock!), much less keep it in business for a quarter of a century. Trying to imagine cows and chickens peacefully roaming about where now six lanes of traffic zoom by dive bars and decaying storefronts is just mindboggling.

This sign is now sadly deteriorated, but when my parents owned a printing company and used to deliver labels here in the late '70s-early 80's, it was painted bright gold and still had working 'animated' twinkle lights:
Posted Image
This sign probably dates to the late '40s/early '50s, but the Nu-Crisp Popcorn Company itself actually originally opened up across the street where Gold's Gym now is, in 1932. It was abandoned, somewhat mysteriously, with all fixtures and equipment still inside, (almost as though they just closed up one evening and never came back) at some point in the 1990s, and there it sits like that to this day. Strange and a bit sad...

It's probably just my imagination, but when I was standing there taking the picture I almost could have sworn I could still smell that candied kettlecorn.

For those who wonder about what happened to the other old sign I posted earlier in this thread,
Posted Image
I was saddened that it wasn't preserved as it was, but I do give them credit for saving the original framework and trying to do something in the style of the period in which the original was built.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#84 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Not exactly pics of us but some examples of what I see on my daily walks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

This is the sun set from the North side of the Kochi harbour. We had a beach on the South side, which was washed away by the sea, and now the sea is giving us land on the North side. This is also the "end point" of the Tsunami 2004. I loved that sun set, and living in a city which is below 1 feet sea level is surely fun.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#86 chestnut

chestnut

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Of course it would help if I knew what I was doing with adding photo links...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MoonChild, 20 January 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#87 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

City skyline at night:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sunset from the 14th floor
Posted Image

#89 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Wow Moonie... You are so blessed to be able to live in such beauty.
I can't ever see myself moving away from Co (I like having four seasons to the year), but I do much enjoy visiting the WARM beach (NOT the oregon Coast.... We froze our buns off one year in Rockaway beach visiting my grandma and ended up having to buy more pants).
Here in Conifer we have "coniferious wetlands" which only exsist on 1% of the world's ground. Pretty neat as the highschool is situated on 100 acres of it, so sophmore year we get to go down to "the reaches" and conduct experiments on the (grrr... forgot the word). Most students only get to READ about this stuff in textbooks but we got to experience it first hand... Although most of the girls so did not like wading through the mud and many shoes were lost. I got lucky and was on a dry part of the land due to fainting.
Love life.

#90 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:02 AM

Hi everyone, it is very interesting to read about your hometowns and their history.

I am from Augusta, Georgia, USA. Some of you might know it as the home of the Masters Golf Tournament. I'm not a big fan of golf, but I'll share some of Augusta's history with you.

Here is the Wikipedia article on my home city...
http://en.wikipedia....ugusta,_Georgia

However Augusta has a history as old as Savannah, and probably just as many ghosts too. Augusta grew due to the cotton trade. I live near a historic road named Tobacco Road. There is a book written about the great depression and how modernization destroyed the lives of many farmers. Here is a link to the book.

http://en.wikipedia....co_Road_(novel)

That tobacco and cotton trade in Augusta gave rise to many famous buildings which still stand here today, but generally aren't seen by tourists because they happen to be located in poor neighborhoods. One building our team is trying to investigate is pictured here...

http://chronicle.aug...ire-sibley-mill

In front of this 1880 cotton mill is the oldest confederate civil war structure in the U.S., and was left standing as a monument to the confederate war dead. The chimney in the photo is all that remains of the confederate powder works. Sibley mill is constructed of pine and brick, with the bricks being purchased from the demolition of the powder works. Next door is the historic King mill, which is also one of the older cotton mills still in operation in the U.S.

Of course, the cotton had to be traded and so did the slaves who helped grow it. Thanks to a local bank, this building was preserved for visitors to come.

http://www.nps.gov/n...tacottonex.html

The cotton exchange was an area where people came to sell cotton to be shipped up the historic Savannah River for production of other materials. Slaves were bought and sold on the steps of the building. When the interior of the building was renovated, they found a chalkboard that still had the prices of cotton on it from the era it was sealed into the wall.

www.deere.com/.../careers/locations/augusta.html

Here is a photo of downtown Augusta, GA. taken from the Savannah River.

Augusta is also the home of one of the south's oldest amd most prestigious medical schools, the Medical College of Georgia. Here is a photo of the old medical college building located on Telfair street.

http://www.lib.mcg.e...1836/OldMCG.php

Some interesting facts about MCG...

Not long ago the college had to apologize for it's macabre past. The old MCG building was restored and work crews found the skeletons and cadavers of over 100+ people hastily buried in the basement. These cadavers were purchased or obtained by "the Ressurection Man" one of Augusta's oldest ghosts, an MCG "slave"named Grandison Harris, who was taught to read and write in exchange for extricating the dead from their final resting places.

Finally, the most haunted place in Augusta is the campus of my college, Augusta State University, where there are two graveyards, and all of the administration buildings are haunted. I have personally seen the ghost of a cavalry officer circa 1900 enter the Arsenal cemetery. It is the site of the old Augusta Arsenal (the sole reason why Sherman stayed the hell out of Augusta and didn't burn it to the ground in his march to the sea).
More info can be obtained here...

http://www.aug.edu/p...ry/arsenal.html

Augusta also was a hotspot for racing as well as golf. Here some sites for information on the Augusta International Raceway, and the Augusta National golf course.

http://www.historicm...ernational.html

http://www.masters.c...n_US/index.html

My city is fairly old for the U.S. and is second in size to Atlanta. There is a lot of history here, and even more being made each day. We are currently the home of the U.S. Army 15th Signal Brigade and the Army's Fort Gordon, a communication school for every branch of the military. The base is also now a National Security Administration headquarters, codenamed "Sweet Tea".

http://www.signal.army.mil/signal/

I'm proud of my city, but I sincerely wish the elitist attitude and oppressive slave driving nature of the area had died off long ago. Currently the average median income of residents for my county is 22,000$ per year while only 12 miles away in Columbia County the average income is 78,000$ per year. I bet you can tell where the elitist owners of everything in Augusta live. We are a proud city with a long and successful industrial history, but a deep dark past that never seems to disappear.
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users