• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HauntedTruth

HauntedTruth

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Does anyone know what make and model of audio recorder Brandy used on last week's episode of GHI where they specifically mentioned she had a new recorder that records very low frequencies? Thank you for your help.

#2 HauntedTruth

HauntedTruth

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

For an answer to my initial question, check out the link below to Brandy's MySpace page:

http://blogs.myspace...logId=527636720

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

While the recorder would meet specs for normal EVP work, with a low frequency limit of 20 Hz it does not qualify as usable for infrasound as claimed. Recorders into this area should be capable of going down to at least 5 Hz, lower if possible. There are no conventional audio recorders that meet this spec that I am aware of. Such a device would likely need to be direct coupled which introduces a new level of design problems to the manufacturer.

Which is not to say I am putting this recorder on my "avoid" list. It does meet specs if used in its 96KBPS, 24 Bit mode. I see it as on a par with the H2, both have similar specs. In fact this one may have higher gain in the front end resulting in improved sensitivity. This would not be a factor though if you are using an outboard preamp / mixer instead of a microphone.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#4 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Cave Rat is correct; 20Hz is well above the infrasound range. Brandy also seems a little confused on her site, as someone replied that they prefer the Zoom H4n over the Edirol 09HR, and she seems to think they are talking about the Zoom H2. Apparently, she doesn't know the Zoom H4n exists. I'm not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but wannabe TV "ghost hunters" that don't even know the basics are what give people in the field that have been doing this for years (well before the "me too" cable programs) a bad name.

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Keep in mind too that sometimes manufacturers make equipment available for any public performance such as a movie or TV show. They allow the actors to use this stuff simply to get the type of question we have here. It's free advertising for them. The term is called "Product Placement". (It's why the actor will set the can of Coke down on the table making sure the name is clearly visible to the viewer.)

This is no accident, it is a common practice! While I won't say that is the case here, it is always a consideration, and is a reason why just because you see it on TV doesn't necessarily mean it is the best available.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#6 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Caverat is correct on two fronts-

1st-Infrasound is below 20hz. Maybe she meant ultra-sonic as the Edirol claims to record up to 40khz, well above the human hearing range of 20khz? Can't play it back or hear it, but if you had software to display it, that would be interesting. Also, many experiments have been performed showing that human exposure to 18hz causes fear, dread, etc. I would like to see the actual frequency response chart from the manufacturer to see if there is a sharp cut off after 20hz.

2nd-Watch the end credits for these shows. More than once I've seen credits thanking more than one manufacturer. In fact, a certain group used to open their show at a certain popular pizza place. Coincidence? Not that I wouldn't get a FLIR tattoo if I got one free mind you (must include outboard recorder!). I have no issue with their luck, just get the facts right before you make the sales pitch!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users