Wireless Weather Stations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GhosthunterCharles

GhosthunterCharles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, movies, video games.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

I had found a wireless weather station that is portable and has two sensors so you can know what the weather is in two different locations, indoors and outdoors. It tells Temp, barometric pressure, and can tell phases of the moon.

It is currently out of stock....everywhere!! (amazon and ebay)

Before I get all bent up, does anyone use something like this on there investigations? How important is barometric pressure?

If someone has used one, can they recomend one. (model number and online store) I am on a budget.

thanks in advance

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Environmental data isimportant on any investigation. However the device you refer to does not seem to be that noteworthy. You can buy a cheap indoor / outdoor thermometer at most department stores that will allow you to obtain temperatures at two locations. Wireless is a negative because any wireless device generates RF signals which could interfere with your other equipment. Thus a hardwired system is preferable.

Regarding barometric pressure, that is relatively constant so readings taken at a single location will apply to all nearby areas. Having the lunar phases is a piece of information some track so it is useful to include tat in your logs. but you need not buy a device to get it, you can do a search online either before or after your investigation to obtain it. No sense in buying a device just for that data. Besides, many sites which give you luar phases also provide additional data on solar and RF propagation as well, two more useful data.

Rather than buying the wireless weather station, consider a more basic type, possibly handheld with external probes. You can find thes ethat will measure temperature and humidy. Then add a simple barometer as a separate unit.

#3 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

I don't use specific barometers and such but I do look up and record the data from the nearest weather station (that volunteers who send their data to the weather service use).

#4 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

I have a PWS-1000TD Professional Wireless Weather Station with Data Logging from Pro-Measure.com. Not only will it give me data for two zones, it data logs and can be reviewed with some great software later. Although it is wireless, unless my gear is right by the transmitter, I get no interference. What's neat is to watch how long it takes the room temp to change when the AC or heat kicks in. Very neat to see on a graph.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#5 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

I don't use specific barometers and such but I do look up and record the data from the nearest weather station (that volunteers who send their data to the weather service use).

I don't know if it's true everywhere, but here, all the cell sites have weather stations. The data is accessible by the public on the web.
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#6 GhosthunterCharles

GhosthunterCharles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, movies, video games.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been a little worried about having too much equipment and too many wireless devices. I think that a thermometer and a barometric gauge will probably suit me just fine for now. I will keep the information on the weather system also. It never hurts to look around and keep your options open. Thanks again.

#7 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:27 AM

I'm with Caverat on this one. A good K-type thermometer will give you real time info wherever you are. A computer with internet connection will give you streaming data for the general area, so real fluctuations show up instantly in your hand. A meter with data-logging capabilities would be ideal.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users