• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

First my caveat that I am a Latter-day Saint (LdS aka "Mormon"). LdS doctrine and theology differ from mainstream Christianity on some points.

Aloha, what is the difference between demon and devil, I've always wondered about that point, is it a different term for the same entity (one of the angels that followed Lucifer)?

Thanks, Mate

Most Christians reserve the word "devil" for Satan (literally "the adversary"), and demons are his minions. The Revelation of St. John tells us that a third of the host of heaven followed Lucifer / Satan.

However, the New Testament uses the word "devil" in a more general manner, almost how we currently use "demon" (eg. an evil spirit). In fact, the Joao Ferreira de Almeida translation (Portuguese) uses the word "demonio" ("demon").

I know you have posed the question to Aloha, but before he replies, I thought I can chime in my view on the same, so perhaps he get a chance to answer my doubt as well.

From where I see things, devil is the exact adversary of God. Devil is otherwise called Satan. Demons are those entities those are "negative" or "harmful" in nature. From the stand point of most Eastern philosophies, we do not have a "satan" or "devil" as the central controller of negative forces because as we see and experience, demons are creation of God as well. It is upto each one of us, with the wise use of choice to harness the "good" power of God and overcome the "demonic'.

Moon has correctly explained the views of Christianity. The devil and his demons play opposite to God and his angels. And according to the Revelation of St. John, even the devil and the demons were once counted among the hosts of heaven.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#17 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

Thank you, Aloha, not sure why but thought devils may have been once members of one of the higher choirs
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#18 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

Thank you, Aloha, not sure why but thought devils may have been once members of one of the higher choirs

The title-name Lucifer meas "light bearer" but is sometimes translated as "son of the morning". This alternative interpretation would indicate that Lucifer was one of God's earliest creations, thus in a position of authority before his rebellion. CaveRat said that at one point Lucifer was second in command - only God out-ranked him. Thus it would not surprise me if some of those who followed Satan were also of the higher ranks.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#19 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

It would make sense if a few Seraphim saw along similar lines, but the chapter never really states who came from where
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users