Springtime in the country

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Forget mules having the reputation of being the most stubborn critters on earth ~ try a Black Angus bull calf that got loose from the pasture and isn't quite ready to stop his walkabout! :Spaz:

I went out to attempt a walk awhile ago and when I managed to hobble up to the top of the hill, I was met by the above-mentioned calf who was out taking his own stroll. I knew our neighbor up there had a bunch of heifers drop a new crop just a couple of weeks ago and from the frantic bawling of one of the mamas, I figured that this baby was hers. For those who haven't been up close and personal to calves before, keep in mind that even at a couple of weeks old, this wee one already rivals an English Mastiff in height and weight so it's not like you can scoop 'em up like a stray kitten ;) Fortunately (or un), he was not at all skittish or shy and strolled right up to me with this "Hiya! Wanna be my buddy?" attitude and just about knocked me on my backside when he butted up against me.

I figure that crippled up woman falling down on asphalt at the feet of an overly-friendly bull calf was not an ideal scenario so I tried to put a wee bit of distance between him and me while trying to call my neighbor on the cell. Neighbor wasn't answering so I thought that maybe if I walked to the gate, the calf would follow and I could shoo him back in. He followed on my heels just fine (note........overly-friendly calf slobbering down your back is not my idea of fun) but when I started to open the gate, he backed off and gave me an all-too human look that loudly and clearly said "YUUU UHHHH!" Okkkk.....time for plan B, which involved walking back across the road down to the landlord's house, hoping he'd put the wanderer up until the owner came back home. So down the road I hobble, slobbering, overly-friendly calf at the heel, only to see that there apparently was no one home there either.

The only alternative plan I had was to go on back to the house, hoping that the little one would find his own way back into the pasture, which I wasn't really gung-ho on because there was a chance that he'd wander out in front of a car but really fearing that he would follow me home like a stray puppy and me having to explain to MH that honest to God, he DID follow me home ;) With that in mind, I made one last attempt to get him back where he belonged and this time, with my leading the way in, he went in with a big show of reluctance and another all-too human pout beore gamboling off to his mama, who, no doubt, was prepared to give him a not-to-soon-to-be-forgotten lecture as soon as she checked him over to see if he was indeed OK.

Country living at it's finest :lol:

#2 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

Awww, frither that is the cutest story I've read in a loooong time! You certainly have a way with words and are a most wonderful storyteller. I'm glad the calf made it home safe and sound, and that you didn't get knocked on your tookis! :Spaz:
Posted Image

#3 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

I'm just glad that #1 he was such a new model and as such, was only rivaling a Mastiff in size as compared to something like the size of his parents and #2, his mama didn't decide to get the wrong idea and think I was trying to hurt him. I'll openly admit that when I was leading him into the pasture, I reminded them all that I don't eat beef :Spaz:

#4 jenjen

jenjen

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

great post frither. 2 bad there were no video cameras 'round. This would be great 2 watch in youtube!

Size Does Matter

#5 paraviews

paraviews

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Ok, I don't know if I sould be saying awwwwwwwww. or what, lol. This is too cute though.
Posted Image

#6 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I just have one thing to say...cheeeeessseeeebbbbuuuurrrrrgggggeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#7 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

:giving husband THE LOOK:

#8 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

"great post frither. 2 bad there were no video cameras 'round. This would be great 2 watch in youtube"

Oh Little Sister ~ come out to the boondocks and you'll swear that you've landed in the middle of an episode of Wildlife Chronicles :Spaz: Forget city life ~ we have plenty of adventure out here!

#9 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

I just have one thing to say...cheeeeessseeeebbbbuuuurrrrrgggggeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!

:giving husband THE LOOK:

You two are just soooo cute!!! :Spaz:
Posted Image

#10 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

cute isn't my intention when I give him THE LOOK.........spontanious human combustion, abject terror, assuming the prostrate position while chanting wearenotworthywearenotworthy ~ now something like THAT would be the ticket........ssiigghhhh.........yeah, being superwoman isn't my only delusion ;) :lol: Eating red meat versus not eating red meat is one of those marital compromises. We agree that his body needs it and my body won't tolerate it so when he starts needing it, he'll eat it and won't put it in anything I'll be eating. I don't slam him for eating red meat and he tries not to make faces when I drink soy milk ;)

#11 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

cute isn't my intention when I give him THE LOOK.........spontanious human combustion, abject terror, assuming the prostrate position while chanting wearenotworthywearenotworthy ~ now something like THAT would be the ticket.......

:lol:

Great story. Things like this can happen in the city too. It's rare, but with my bizarre luck it can happen. I was attacked by a donkey once smack in the middle of downtown Cincinnati.

#12 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hey ~ MH has been bitten by a bear so far be it from me to say "nu uh no way" :lol:

#13 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

What a lovely sight! I was imagining your walk with a calf behind you. Lovely, now that it's over with though. I saw a woman bottle-feeding a calf one time and the calf almost knocked her off her feet!
That wouldn't be me though. I have a beef allergy, and that's why I hang around with these beautiful, regal, Nubian dairy goats.
You're a brave woman frither!
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#14 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

I've never been formally diagnosed with an allergy to beef but when I was undergoing chemotherapy, if I tried to eat any kind of red meat, the gastro-intestional distress it caused was way not worth it ~ something that happens to this day. I became a vegetarian during that time but when MH and I married, I started eating white meat again from time to time. We have a running joke about his famous southern fried chicken that turned the vegetarian ;)

I agree ~ Nubians are beautiful and regal :lol:

Calves are very much like little kids ~ they are curious and playful and like oversized puppies, they have no concept of their size and how they can knock you flat with one snuggle.

#15 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

I will definitely have to tell that story to my soon-to-be husband. His father was a farm-hand on a dairy farm, and Gene was out there working with his dad as soon as he was old enough to do so. He raised his fair share of calves for 4-H as well. I think he will get a kick out of that story. And I have to say, it does have a very high "awwwww" factor. :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users