Sleep paralysis or a demon spirit?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 maggiemae

maggiemae

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:I love studying and learning, especially the paranormal. I would love to travel all over my state and visit some famous haunted dwellings to see if I could pick up the energies. <br />I love all kinds of music mainly rock/alternative. I still love the eighties hairbands since I grew up in that era. I have a twenty year old daughter who has the gift of seeing apparations and I can feel them but have never seen them.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hello
I joined this site a couple days back and am really getting into reading all the different postings. I came across one from last month and it was a question if anyone has ever had a demonic experience. I have wondered about if I have or it was my imagination from waking up. Here is my story and any input would be appreciated. It was in October of 2004 around 3:30 in the morning. I was slowly waking and was in the state where I could here the tv but wasn't quite awake. I remeber having this eerie, scared feeling and in my sleep starting singing Jesus loves me, the old childhood Sunday school song. Anyways, I remember feeling a presense on my legs real heavy and I felt something was watching me. I snapped awake and moved and the "thing made a swooshing noise and my cat even looked up in the air where this went over my head and out the door. I was on the couch and the front door was behingd me. Funny because we lived directly across from a new church and I would always watch the construction of the church adding on out the big window and door. Not that maybe matters? But my cat was acting funny even before this and at times I would come home and feel a nervous scared feeling like something was in the house. Any suggestions. My brother thinks it was sleep paralysis but the swooshing noise?
maggimae in WI

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to Ghost Village!

I don't know much about sleep paralysis, but there are threads here if you search for them. Good luck and look forward to hearing more of your experiences.

Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hello
I joined this site a couple days back and am really getting into reading all the different postings. I came across one from last month and it was a question if anyone has ever had a demonic experience. I have wondered about if I have or it was my imagination from waking up. Here is my story and any input would be appreciated. It was in October of 2004 around 3:30 in the morning. I was slowly waking and was in the state where I could here the tv but wasn't quite awake. I remeber having this eerie, scared feeling and in my sleep starting singing Jesus loves me, the old childhood Sunday school song. Anyways, I remember feeling a presense on my legs real heavy and I felt something was watching me. I snapped awake and moved and the "thing made a swooshing noise and my cat even looked up in the air where this went over my head and out the door. I was on the couch and the front door was behingd me. Funny because we lived directly across from a new church and I would always watch the construction of the church adding on out the big window and door. Not that maybe matters? But my cat was acting funny even before this and at times I would come home and feel a nervous scared feeling like something was in the house. Any suggestions. My brother thinks it was sleep paralysis but the swooshing noise?
maggimae in WI

Well the only part that really sounds definitely like sleep paralysis IS the swooshing noise. Everything else you mentioned in the experience are not things normally associated with sleep paralysis. Is there any chance you were still dreaming a bit? Sometimes with sleep paralysis you wake up dreaming and for a few seconds you see and hear things. For example, When it happens to me, I try to lift my hand to my face to read my watch and I could swear my wrist is right there in front of me and I am looking at it, but then I drift more into 'awake' and realize my arm is still beside me. I have also had very lucid dreams that I am lifting up off the bed, going through the ceiling, pressed up against a wall, etc... during these experiences (hmm, maybe that is where that particular poltergeist myth comes from...) I feel like this is happening to me involuntarily (most of the time) and panic a little to resist it. But, in reality I am just lying still in bed. I used to have these experiences often enough that I would put a video camera on me and record what I was doing in my sleep. I have seen some really odd movements (mostly with my hands and arms, but nothing freaky like floating into the air.

My opinion (I am not a doctor) is that this is one of the reasons that your body releases the paralyzing chemicals into your system in the first place. Because your dreams would mess with your senses and could even potentially harm you (ever heard the one where if you die in your dream, you will die in real life? Not true. I have died in my dreams more than once before, but I imagine it 'could' happen - your mind can do some pretty incredible things.)

Edited by Retro, 12 March 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#4 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Oh, and I have also often thought I felt my animals in the room or sometimes even felt them walking around on the bed. I have seen trolls or gremlins in my room under sleep paralysis, and even swore once that a ghots was writing on my back....

See, I was dreaming that a spirit was trying to communicate with me so I asked it to write it down. I handed it a pen and paper and it was using my back to write on. But, then it started pressing the pen harder and harder until it broke my skin and woke me up. I could swear I could still feel the writing on my back for almost a minute. I went back to sleep though and didn't check in a mirror. Could this also explain some of the demonic skin writing people experience?

I have attributed all of those experiences to sleep paralysis based on my recording of myself and nothing unusual was actually occuring with me at the time.

#5 yld1009

yld1009

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hello Maggiemae and welcome to GV! This is just my opinion, but it does sound like sleep paralysis. I have had times where I am waking up and can't move my arms or legs and they feel like they are being held down, but once I snap out of it so to speak, it goes away. As far as the other experiences you mentioned that you feel in your home brings up more questions. Has anything else happened besides what you have described here and is this the only time this has happened to you? Please let us know. There are great people here and I'm sure you will find the answers you need. Thanks for sharing your story! yld

Edited by yld1009, 12 March 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#6 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi Maggie, It sure sounds like Sleep Paralysis to me. SP can cause some very frightening, visual and auditory hallucinations, in which the person thinks they are wide awake, but cant move, or scream. Some feel heaviness on their limbs or chest. My son suffered from it for years till I brought him to a Neurologist. He told us it was SP and explained exactly what it is, and how to prevent it, such as no napping, breathing exercises to relax once you get into bed, and try NOT to sleep on your back, but stomach or either side. Laying on your back while napping can induce SP..So he hasnt had any episodes in a long time. I would think if that was an evil force or entity, the activity wouldnt have stopped all together, but could have escalated for that matter..Thats just my opinion..Welcome to GV..CE

#7 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

Oops, I should have led with that too: Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to the village!

Know that I am not trying to discount anything at all, just providing possible other explanations and some of my similar experiences which I hope might be helpful to you.

#8 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

:wow: I vote sleep paralysis also but what I hate is knowing I am awake but the dream keeps on going. I yell in my sleep, I want to wake up now, I want to wake up now. Then when I do finally wake up I fall back to sleep and the dream starts over, Those are my nightmares.

Sharon

#9 maggiemae

maggiemae

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:I love studying and learning, especially the paranormal. I would love to travel all over my state and visit some famous haunted dwellings to see if I could pick up the energies. <br />I love all kinds of music mainly rock/alternative. I still love the eighties hairbands since I grew up in that era. I have a twenty year old daughter who has the gift of seeing apparations and I can feel them but have never seen them.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Oh, and I have also often thought I felt my animals in the room or sometimes even felt them walking around on the bed. I have seen trolls or gremlins in my room under sleep paralysis, and even swore once that a ghots was writing on my back....

See, I was dreaming that a spirit was trying to communicate with me so I asked it to write it down. I handed it a pen and paper and it was using my back to write on. But, then it started pressing the pen harder and harder until it broke my skin and woke me up. I could swear I could still feel the writing on my back for almost a minute. I went back to sleep though and didn't check in a mirror. Could this also explain some of the demonic skin writing people experience?

I have attributed all of those experiences to sleep paralysis based on my recording of myself and nothing unusual was actually occuring with me at the time.

Hello Retro,
Thanks for all the feedback and yes now it does sound like I had sleep paralysis. But why the swooshing noise did you say would definately be sleep paralysis? Maybe I missed that in the reading?
maggie mae

#10 maggiemae

maggiemae

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hello Maggiemae and welcome to GV! This is just my opinion, but it does sound like sleep paralysis. I have had times where I am waking up and can't move my arms or legs and they feel like they are being held down, but once I snap out of it so to speak, it goes away. As far as the other experiences you mentioned that you feel in your home brings up more questions. Has anything else happened besides what you have described here and is this the only time this has happened to you? Please let us know. There are great people here and I'm sure you will find the answers you need. Thanks for sharing your story! yld

Hello yld1009 thank you for the welcome! Yes, things have been happening in my various apartments since 1996. My same stereo turns on and it is not on a timer. I've had jewelry disappear to reappear in the trunk of my car months later. I feel a presence and this occurs when I have been gone and come back to my apartment and something happens then to reaffirm my suspicions. All the feedback does sound like sleep paralysis because I can recall I was on my back too. But my cat was acting strange during this period and I felt something months before this. Could have been my imagination.
maggiemae

#11 yld1009

yld1009

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Hey Maggiemae, No, I don't believe it was your imagination. I live with spirits in my own home. I'll let Retro explain the swooshing sound to you, he could probably explain it better than me, but as far as the other things you explained, it does sound like you might have something there. Don't think that it's your imagination when those things happen. It could very well be something, and also, even if it was SP, there could have been something going on at the same time. Animals are very aware of things like this, so there could be more to it, which is why I asked if you had anything else happen. I will tell you what I did in my situation. I called a PI team to come to my home to see what in the world was going on around here. Doing that could help you resolve what is going on at your place, or at least give you some answers. If you decide to do that, check references and make sure they are a reputable team. If you need help in locating one, I'm sure we could help you out with that. This is just a suggestion. Please keep us posted!

#12 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

:weeee: This is not a for sure but the swooshing could be the blood swooshing to the pulse of your blood going through your head or ears. Just the nurse in me but it could be.

Sharon

Edited by Cautious-Psychic13, 13 March 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#13 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Maggiemae, what I meant by the comment was that it is considered one of the common symptoms of sleep-paralysis (at least whooshing WITHIN the ears, if you could locate it as coming from somewhere away from you, then that is different.)

The chemicals released into your body to paralyze it during sleep also mute your ears, so it would sound sort of like when you put your hands over your ears (or put a seashell to your ear.) Perhaps I misunderstood your description if that seemed like an odd explanation for it.

Actually a more common symptom is supposedly like an explosion or gunshots, but I have personally never experienced that. I have heard static and the swooshing sound, but the swooshing sound always sounded like it originated within.

Has anyone ever felt like something crawled over them (like something heavy like a mouse or a rat (which I do not have with my cats around.) I have awakened to that sensation several times before in different places that I have lived. Always freaks me out. It always feels like either little feet running over my back, legs, or sides, or like someone kneading you quickly with their fingers and taking off. My apologies if that question seems off-topic, maggiemae, just curious since many people on this thread have experienced similar things.

Edited by Retro, 13 March 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#14 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

:Wall: There is another could be causes for the sleeplessnss and that is trying to take sleeping pills or a lot can disrupt sleep patterns just on general. As a nurse I ran into the patients rooom at the first uncomfortable sound We gave back rubs, cool washcothes for the new mothers neck and head.

Kids love having Daddy pay for us to have it done,

Sharon

#15 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Hello yld1009 thank you for the welcome! Yes, things have been happening in my various apartments since 1996. My same stereo turns on and it is not on a timer. I've had jewelry disappear to reappear in the trunk of my car months later. I feel a presence and this occurs when I have been gone and come back to my apartment and something happens then to reaffirm my suspicions. All the feedback does sound like sleep paralysis because I can recall I was on my back too. But my cat was acting strange during this period and I felt something months before this. Could have been my imagination.
maggiemae

Hello Maggie... Greetings and salutations from NC (Boy it's been a long time since I've type that... LOL...)

As far as the stereo is concerned, does it have a remote to turn it on??? The reason I ask this is when anyone comes to me with reports of electronic devices turning on and off or acting funny, I always recommend for them to cover up the IR sensor with a piece of card board and electrical tape, and to cover it well... If it continues to turn on and off, it could be a short in the device itself and to have it looked at... If it stops, then I suggest to relocate it to a different part of the room and remove the cover... It's possible that it was receiving a stray IR signal to turn it on or off, however if it starts back up again I say to put the cover back on and reloacate it to a different room... If it's still happening after the cover is removed, then to take it into someone to have it looked at... Then, if nothing is wrong with it, start investigating the paranormal causes... There are so many non paranormal causes for eletrical devices to act up, we need to make sure we rule out all possibilities...

I have a question about the jewelry... Is this jewelry that you've warn before and can't find, or jewelry that has been in a jewelry box and all of a sudden is missing... The reason I ask this is I can't count the many times my wife has been wearing a bracelet, or me with my watch, and it falls off and ends up in the trunk without any knowledge...

I'm not trying to say what you've experienced isn't paranormal, I'm just the type of person who likes to rule out all possibilities before exploring the paranormal reasons...

I do have one recommendation though... Start keeping a journal of everything you experience... It may help to show a pattern, and if you do involve a team, it will give them more information to go by...

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Christopher
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users