The use of crosses at cemeteries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moody98

Moody98

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Cemeteries, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, cooking, guitar, skateboarding, horseback riding.

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

I notice that at some cemeteries I've been to I sometimes see a cross tilted sideways on a headstone. Could this be the grave of an evil spirit. I believe that does signify an evil being or spirit. I believe that werewolves are evil. An evil spirit would have attributes similar to a werewolf. Claws for hands. Satanic and evil in appearance. There is one grave at cypress lawn cemetery in colma, ca. Where the gravestone has cross that is tilted to the right at a 45 degree angle. The name on the gravestone is lily. The cross and name look like they were intentionally carved That way. Could this be because she was an evil woman in life before she died. I think that must be what it is. Like in the movie the exorcist where there were scenes of upside down crosses. The possessing spirit in that movie had only evil intentions. Most spirits I communicate with all seem to have something evil about them. They seem to try and frighten me as much as they can with no real consideration for my own well being. Frightening me to death seems to be to be their main concern. I find it neat and interesting up to a certain point. But in some circumstances I feel that is just to much. As long as I don't let the spirit find me I'm fine and it is fun.

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

You see crosses on graves because it most of North America most people are Christian and that is their religious symbol. Some are at angles or in various designs due to differences in artists, it has nothing to do with good or evil.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 WeirdFresno

WeirdFresno

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

At the cemeteries I've visited the only tilted crosses I've seen where on graves where the tombstone had began to settle a little bit in the ground and it had listed to one side. I've never seen a cross intentional leaning to one side.

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

I have to agree with freyjasdottir. Many headstones have an icon indicating the religion of the deceased. Here in Utah we see lots of "Angel Moroni" blowing a trumpet or an etching of a temple.

If you are talking about free-standing crosses (eg. not etched into the headstone), then I believe it goes to the belief that cemeteries are hallowed ground. Many Christians believe that a cross protects from evil, so placing a cross on a grave would be akin to hanging a crucifix in the home. IOW, it's to protect the deceased from evil; it's not because the deceased was evil.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Moody, if you are talking about crosses that are on top of the headstone as a decoration and not carved into the face of the stone, then yes, many are carved that way intentionally (leaning to the side), but not because the person was evil or possessed by an evil spirit. First, on a symbolic level, it represents the cross as carried by Jesus - it is usually depicted as leaning on his shoulder as he drags it along. Instead of carving a figure of Jesus, you usually see a flower, signifying a lily, another religious symbol. On a more practical level, the artists usually carved crosses on top of stones at that angle because it makes the crosses closer to the actual stone and less likely to break off. This type of work, carving/sculpting ornamental headstones, is difficult and therefore expensive. You don't want family members coming back to you with complaints that their loved one's stone is broken and wanting money back or a replacement for free. With a larger base for this ornament at the top of the stone, it's more stable and weather resistant.

Moody, I bet you could check this out with a local monument company. I am certain that you could find out a lot about headstones and symbols from them or at least where to start researching. And you could talk to someone in the office of that cemetery you mentioned to find out more about Lily. Let us know what you find out.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#6 Moody98

Moody98

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Cemeteries, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, cooking, guitar, skateboarding, horseback riding.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Moody, if you are talking about crosses that are on top of the headstone as a decoration and not carved into the face of the stone, then yes, many are carved that way intentionally (leaning to the side), but not because the person was evil or possessed by an evil spirit. First, on a symbolic level, it represents the cross as carried by Jesus - it is usually depicted as leaning on his shoulder as he drags it along. Instead of carving a figure of Jesus, you usually see a flower, signifying a lily, another religious symbol. On a more practical level, the artists usually carved crosses on top of stones at that angle because it makes the crosses closer to the actual stone and less likely to break off. This type of work, carving/sculpting ornamental headstones, is difficult and therefore expensive. You don't want family members coming back to you with complaints that their loved one's stone is broken and wanting money back or a replacement for free. With a larger base for this ornament at the top of the stone, it's more stable and weather resistant.

Moody, I bet you could check this out with a local monument company. I am certain that you could find out a lot about headstones and symbols from them or at least where to start researching. And you could talk to someone in the office of that cemetery you mentioned to find out more about Lily. Let us know what you find out.

The headstone was made a long time ago. It is the headstone of two people. Elzabeth g. Lilley 1879-1940 and Sidney w. Lilley 1884-1961. I asked and they said when headstones were being made in the 1940's people asked for things like crosses at different angles to be original and stand out. Makes sense since cemeteries are all grass and headstones.

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

Redhead and Moody, those are both quite interesting responses and make a lot of sense. :kitty:
petunia4998

#8 Inspirosity

Inspirosity

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

This thread has been very informative. It's rather interesting to read about the cross designs on headstones!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users