4 replies to this topic

#1 icenine

icenine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Greetings,

My name is Rich, out of Carson City, Nevada. I've confined my investigations to helping friends and acquaintances get some answers. I'm fairly new at this and what I'm not looking for is a situation where things may get out of hand. As my experience and confidence grows, I've started stepping into situations where the investigation may take an interesting twist or turn.

So far, so good.

It's nice to be here. I've been lurking for a while, I figured this was a good time to pop in.

That's me. Here's my question..

What's up with Laser Grids? I took a chance and picked up one on ebay for less than six bucks. It arrived, it's just fine, is insanely bright, and the grid attachment works quite well. I've seen them used, I've studied up on the methodology of how to implement the laser grid in my next investigation, coming up at the end of the month.

I'll point the thing at a wall, set up a DSLR to shoot video with 24-70 f/2.8, wide open, at ISO 3200. The camera is insanely good at capturing any light that's there. The laser grid will be be pointed at one end of the room, the camera will be positioned at the opposite side of the room, there will be some ambient light, but not much. In the video frame will an EMF detector. Three channels of audio will be captured, 2 channels from the camera with external mics, another channel from a handheld recorder. Audio will go through Audacity, then the audio will be synced up with the video, providing I catch anything

That's how that one room will be set up. I have never used a laser grid before. Is my usage of this device proper? Has anyone captured anything unusual while using a laser grid, or is the whole thing bogus?.

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

Regards,
Rich

#2 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

I recently bought my own laser set-up, and honestly, I don't have super high hopes for it, lol. I purchased it because I thought that it might be useful in investigations where shadow beings were seen...if one popped up, it'd break the grid pattern and we'd be able to spot that interference on our video. Everyone I've seen using it has implemented a similar setup as yours (although, some...not so elaborate, lol) and we've planned on something similar.

I think I was probably highly influenced to give it a try based on an experiment my group did awhile back. Back in 2007, we investigated a movie theater in which a former manager was said to make his nightly rounds, walking down one aisle and back up the other, checking on things at a certain time. Shortly before that time, we all sat in random aisle seats up and down both sides and at intervals, shot laser pointers across the aisle. Most of the lasers were actually the beam from the old IR thermometers, so I was hoping against hope that at least one of the beams (shot around thigh level) would break, or at least register a temperature change. Nothing happened, unfortunately, lol.

Anyway I got to thinking...wouldn't whatever broke the grid have to pass directly in front of the beam? Even with a history of sightings, that might be hard to predict where this thing is going to be, and perhaps it has enough intelligence to NOT walk past the beam to begin with. And...even if it did...what is to day that whatever it is has enough (if any) mass or any other method of it physically interacting with our realm to activate it.

I have seen people claim to have success with it, but I haven't actually been impressed myself with submitted videos. However, its a pretty affordable piece of equipment and I admittedly haven't yet given it the research and experimentation to truly make an informed opinion. For now, it'll remain in my toolbox, and we'll attempt as many different scenarios as possible with it and compare results. If its a bust...my son DOES love it, lol.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#3 icenine

icenine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

I'm a reasonably pragmatic guy. I don't see how a Franks box, Ovilus of Shack Hack could possibly work. I try to stay away from those things that I consider to be bad science. The laser grid seemed interesting, and seemed based on good science, as far as use as a tool goes.. The existence of things that can't be seen can be (somewhat) validated by changes in their surroundings. This is particularly true when observing astronomical phenomena. Light can be bent, the trajectories of deep space objects can be altered by strong gravitational fields; ie Dark Matter.

Paranormal research and astronomical research are similar in one fundamental way. You can't really see what you're looking for, what you can see are are changes in the environment that may be caused by those things you're searching for.

Enter the laser grid. It will detect movement, it will detect objects that have mass, or change environmental structure, by either fully, or partially occluding the projected laser dots. It might also detect any mist that forms in the path of the laser pen. The DSLR I use has such a good lens, and is so sensitive, that it can easily record detail that my eye misses. Maybe I'll get luckyPosted Image

I'm glad that you didn't dismiss the laser grid as nonsense. I concur that the odds of having a meaningful event take place not only when I'm there, but when I'm there, and in the right place, are very slim. I suppose this what makes paranormal research such a challenge. Not only do we have to be there at the right time, we also have to be in the right place, with a recorder or video device positioned so precisely that our personal experience is backed up with good evidence.

My next investigation should be my best. Two clients with an old (1850's) home that has had a fire, and then a full renovation. According to my clients, there is almost constant activity and whatever is there is not skittish. We'll be working with a good psyhcic, it should be interesting reviewing her conclusions once our investigation is finished. I'm very excited about this.

PS, I was reading about your experiences in that movie theater. Something that may have been interesting was to use a revolving laser beam. Contractors use this tool to level out dropped ceilings and such. A stationary red laser is shot into a revolving mirror, rotating the beam in a circle. When this leveling tool is placed in the center of a room, when you look at the walls you'll see a red line around all the walls. Anything anywhere in that room, in the path of the beam, will absorb, reflect of refract the laser light. I'm looking for a used tool like this. They're quite expensive. Used is what I can afford. A device like this should be easy for me to construct. A fun project, providing the tool I end up with is practical. The laser grid should determine "proof of concept".

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate them very much.

Regards,
Rich

I recently bought my own laser set-up, and honestly, I don't have super high hopes for it, lol. I purchased it because I thought that it might be useful in investigations where shadow beings were seen...if one popped up, it'd break the grid pattern and we'd be able to spot that interference on our video. Everyone I've seen using it has implemented a similar setup as yours (although, some...not so elaborate, lol) and we've planned on something similar.

I think I was probably highly influenced to give it a try based on an experiment my group did awhile back. Back in 2007, we investigated a movie theater in which a former manager was said to make his nightly rounds, walking down one aisle and back up the other, checking on things at a certain time. Shortly before that time, we all sat in random aisle seats up and down both sides and at intervals, shot laser pointers across the aisle. Most of the lasers were actually the beam from the old IR thermometers, so I was hoping against hope that at least one of the beams (shot around thigh level) would break, or at least register a temperature change. Nothing happened, unfortunately, lol.

Anyway I got to thinking...wouldn't whatever broke the grid have to pass directly in front of the beam? Even with a history of sightings, that might be hard to predict where this thing is going to be, and perhaps it has enough intelligence to NOT walk past the beam to begin with. And...even if it did...what is to day that whatever it is has enough (if any) mass or any other method of it physically interacting with our realm to activate it.

I have seen people claim to have success with it, but I haven't actually been impressed myself with submitted videos. However, its a pretty affordable piece of equipment and I admittedly haven't yet given it the research and experimentation to truly make an informed opinion. For now, it'll remain in my toolbox, and we'll attempt as many different scenarios as possible with it and compare results. If its a bust...my son DOES love it, lol.

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I am still undecided regarding a laser grid. I have seen them used and done a few experiments with one. To date I have had no conclusive results to warrant using one. Which does not mean they don't work, only that to date I have not seen a success with one. Personally I probably wouldn't recommend using one unless you have a specific project in mind where such a grid pattern might be beneficial. But just to randomly set one up in the hopes of catching something, I would not waste the time.

#5 icenine

icenine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

I am still undecided regarding a laser grid. I have seen them used and done a few experiments with one. To date I have had no conclusive results to warrant using one. Which does not mean they don't work, only that to date I have not seen a success with one. Personally I probably wouldn't recommend using one unless you have a specific project in mind where such a grid pattern might be beneficial. But just to randomly set one up in the hopes of catching something, I would not waste the time.

You are a wealth of information. You also seem quite pragmatic, very helpful in this line of work.. I appreciate your replies to me.

Regards,
Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users