11 replies to this topic

#1 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hello everyone...

I wanted to see if anyone uses trap/trail/deer cameras during their investigations??? This is something that's on my wish list and I've done a lot resarch on them, but all of the reviews I've read are for a different type of hunting :ghost:... So I'd love to hear if anyone uses them during investigations and what your opinions are...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

I have 2 of them but use them in the traditional manner, not for investigations. I figure since I am already there at a location there is little reason not to simply take pictures using a regular camera. That way I have any possible experiences to add to the photo evidence. A picture alone without any substantiating evidence is pretty much worthless anyway, so anything caught on a remote camera is going to be suspect.

Besides, what evidence do we have that any ghost can actually trigger one of these cameras anyway?
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#3 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have 2 of them but use them in the traditional manner, not for investigations. I figure since I am already there at a location there is little reason not to simply take pictures using a regular camera. That way I have any possible experiences to add to the photo evidence. A picture alone without any substantiating evidence is pretty much worthless anyway, so anything caught on a remote camera is going to be suspect.

Besides, what evidence do we have that any ghost can actually trigger one of these cameras anyway?

I wasn't thinking so much that a ghost would trigger the camera, but using it more of a debunking tool... Place it in an area of reported actvity and see if it catches anything...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

They would be useful if there was a reason to suspect hoaxing. Likely if properly placed they could catch a perpetrator. I generally don't think much in that area since the type investigations I do generally don't involve those concerns. I trust my associates since I have worked with them for many years, and as a rule before I get to that level of investigation with a client they have also had several interviews and a psychological evaluation related to their claims. Thus hoaxsters are usually weeded out before any investigation actually begins.

But that does seem a use these cameras could be utilized for.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#5 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

Keep in mind that many trap cameras used for hunting seem to have a delay from the time the object is sensed to the time the shutter is triggered, which can be as much as several seconds. I'm not certain, but it may be by design so that the camera isn't triggered by every bird that happens to fly in the path of the camera. Deer would tend to stay longer, especially if bait is placed nearby. There are review sites on the net that rate these cameras, and that is one of the things they test. Generally, the more expensive cameras seem to have the shortest lag. It might be a good idea to do a search for one of these sites if you're serious about purchasing a camera.

#6 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

I forgot to mention that I have a Remington Ghost trap camera that I've used on investigations (that's really the name of the camera, which is fitting considering what I'm using it for). Although I've never capured anything paranormal on it and probably never will, it does seem to have a fairly short shutter lag compared to many, seems well-built, and is relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps a better choice for your purposes would be one of the many IR motion sensing video/still cameras offered on sites such as Ebay? They're much smaller than most trap cameras, but the resolution isn't as good. However, for your purposes of debunking, the resolution may be good enough.

Edited by Ten301, 04 January 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Regarding this delay, The cameras I have allow this to be set as one of the options. It varies from about a second to several seconds. They also can be set to do several pictures in rapid succession depending on setting desired.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#8 tim mchenry

tim mchenry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hello everyone...

I wanted to see if anyone uses trap/trail/deer cameras during their investigations??? This is something that's on my wish list and I've done a lot resarch on them, but all of the reviews I've read are for a different type of hunting :P... So I'd love to hear if anyone uses them during investigations and what your opinions are...

I've often thought about using one and am glad I'm not the only person thinking this way. I think the best use for one would be overnight when people are sleeping or during the day when the house is empty and no one is walking or moving about. Dogs and cats would have to be put some where to not interfere or trip the camera. It would also have to be the right camera. Probably IR capable and like previously stated, one that has an adjustment for the shutter delay and capable of taking a sequence of pictures. I investigated a house 2 years ago where this type of camera would have come in handy. The homeowners moved out because of the activity and the house was vacant. I spread a big spot of baby powder on the floor and the house was locked up for 4 days. The next time we met at the house and unlocked it there were several size 15 1/2 foot prints in the powder. I could not duplicate the pattern either. Of course I can't prove that the foot prints were made by unseen feet. I can assure you however, that house was locked up tighter than a vault and the only set of keys placed beyond any other person's control. These prints can be seen on my website: http://thetruthparanormal.com. The type of trail camera I describe would have been the perfect camera to set up over the spot of powder and would have substantiated my evidence.

#9 hauntee

hauntee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

I always wondered what these camera do for an actual deer hunter- why do you use them and how do they help. I don't have a lot of hunting knowledge so forgive me if this is a obvious thing in the hunting world but seriously I have no clue why a hnter would use these.

Also can't you trigger them to take pictures during a ghost investigation by placing your hand over the sensor? I thought that one way you can use the camera is as a invisible fence sort of way or by a entry way to see of anyone or animal etc has came in and can tamper with actual ghost findings and the otehr way was holding the camera while mobile and triggering it to take pictures in a dark room or outdoor setting and they can work better than an average digital point and shoot due to their ir sensor.

I could be way off on this but I hear them being used more in the ghost hunting field and wonder if they are any good too. They are not too expensive - or at least you can find reasonable priced ones at Walmart in the hunting section
Blessings,Misty

#10 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

They help hunters see what game enters a particular area and at what time... Also, if left there long enough, they can see if the game returns and how often so they can plan their hunt...

As for the ones that are not too expensive, for what is needed for paranormal investigating, they aren't the best... They have a low picture resolution, slow delay from when something is detected to when the picture is taken, among other issues... The better ones that have a very short delay (less than a second), have a higher resolution, can take multiple shots, and use and IR flash are generally more expensive... Usually around $400 to $600 from what I've found online...

That's why I'm saving my money for one.... I still think they're useful, but for debunking, not capturing anything paranormal... But that's just my 2 cents...

Posted Image

#11 hauntee

hauntee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

They help hunters see what game enters a particular area and at what time... Also, if left there long enough, they can see if the game returns and how often so they can plan their hunt...

As for the ones that are not too expensive, for what is needed for paranormal investigating, they aren't the best... They have a low picture resolution, slow delay from when something is detected to when the picture is taken, among other issues... The better ones that have a very short delay (less than a second), have a higher resolution, can take multiple shots, and use and IR flash are generally more expensive... Usually around $400 to $600 from what I've found online...

That's why I'm saving my money for one.... I still think they're useful, but for debunking, not capturing anything paranormal... But that's just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the reply :ghost:

I figured the deers just ran freely about with no directional course- I feel stupid now lol but then again I never claimed to know much about hunting either. Poor Deers lol

I guess I also overlooked how grainy the picture would probably come out from using a cheap model and I just assumed that all of them came with an IR sensor. You'll have to update us on your findings when you get one and have a chance to test it out. I'm still trying to save up for my Sony Handycam with nightshot myself! My equipment stock is getting larger though and the camcorder is all I am missing right now for the essentials as I'd call them for a starting investigator. Then I'm gonna work on getting the more advanced items :Spaz:
Blessings,Misty

#12 grimshawl

grimshawl

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:all things paranormal, cemetery photography, odd and forgotten history and locations, fishing, reading, gaming.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

I have two digital trap cameras I regularly use on investigations and I like them. Yes they have some limitations such as people have allready mentioned but they have some advantages too for instance they are weather proof and can be mounted outside of a location. I have used this sometimes to see if anyone is aproaching the structure while I am investigating it. Or to see if deer, racoons or birds are possibly causing some distrubance that might be misconstrued as paranormal activity. I have picts from my scout cameras showing a racoon at Waverly Hills on the 5th floor and others showing him raiding my equiptment bag down on the first floor for a candy bar I had forgotten.
Or if the location is remote to the rest of your gear or to a power supply the cameras are good because they are self powered, also they are designed to wihstand and operate in cold conditions and for long periods, mine have 8 c batteries so I rarely suffer battery drain or shutdown due to the cold temp durning winter investigations in unheated locations. Mine also capture great photgraphs of the team hunting during investigations and place a temp reading and time stamp on each picture which helps keep track of these things. I have mine set to reset at one minute intervols and take 9 pictures once they are set off so i end up with plenty of pictures of the location/view where I set them up and the IR illumitation on mine is very good and penetrates a good distance since they are built for outdoor use I can use them in very big rooms or large halls and still get good clear pics with them.
Still full of Wonder at the Worlds Workings, looking for some of the ansers and most of the questions. Lost and Found Ohio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users