ESP or parapsycology

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia..../Parapsychology

I've always had an interest in the unknown. I think this is a well balanced ariticle which discusses both sides of the issue.

If you follow their links you can get lost for days.

I do believe in the power of mind over matter. I do believe when exercised properly the mind is capable of amazing things.

We have two distinct parts of our brains. The lizard brain which is our bios operating system. It is hereditary and passed down through the generations. It controls the most basic of our functions. It tells us when to eat and when to seek shelter. Since this part of the brain is preprogrammed we don't need to put much thought into it.

The higher level of the brain is the creative brain, we can build bigger and better moustraps to satisfy the lizard brain. The more time we stay in the higher level of the brain the more we can program it and create even more amazing ideas. Through evolution we have been able to come forward thinking. We plan for tommorow while living for today. We invented refrigerators so we wouldn't have to worry about hunting for food tommorow.

But what happens when we don't have to worry about putting our mind to use 24/7 to plan for our survival needs? We have time to complemtate the great questions: Why are we here? Where did we come from? Is there a god? Are there ghosts? Why was it the first time I visited a foreign place I didn't need any maps to get around because I'd been there before?

The mind is wonderous and complex. However it will descend to the level of your needs which are not being met to survive. If you are hungry and you have no money you will find a way to get food or you will die. If you are stuck in the mountains and are freezing cold you will find a way to get shelter or you will die. If your basic needs are not being met you will not be complemtating the origins of the universe. You may however be hallucinating about an oasis in the middle of the desert because you are so thirsty.

It is important to understand the way a mind works before you can seriuosly analyze its functions.

I look at it as a complex computer. We have our basic operating instructions which we were given at birth. We have ROM which is basically the hardwired instructions which without major upgrades we cannont change, then we have our RAM which is our programable memory. We also have hard drives and floppy drives for storing information. We also have a series of input devices like keybaords, webcams, scanners and other sensory input devices. Many of us have the ability to go out on the WWW and link to other computers, some of us have dial up and others have cable or even fiber optic connections.

In order for our computer to function proprerly though they have to have the right food. If we feed them to much say 440 volts they tend to fry, if we feed them too litlle they won't operate very efficiently. Still they sometimes get to much information and will lock up and have to be shut down and rebooted. Computers can do that with a quick shutdown and restart, humans need what is called sleep. It is amazing how much clearer a problem may be in the morning after a good night sleep. Computers also do not work well sitting in the rain.

Humans as are computers are directly related to their environmental conditions, poor conditions means poor performance. Only after all of your basic needs are met can you even begin to rely on any evidence of paranormal or ESP phenonoma.

Now I have to go to work, so I can make some money, so I can stock my refrigerator and pay the rent to keep shelter and pay the utility bills so I can be comfortable, so I can complemtate the big questions. lol
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

I don't have anything to add with this Dave, I agree completely. It boils down to what I believe - there is nothing paranormal in paranormal, it is all normal. It is only how we use or utilize the brain with our mind that matters. How the brain responds to the external stimuli, and how the beliefs in the mind affects that judgement.
Posted Image

#3 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:34 AM

Information overload!!!
Shutting down lulaboo
Intitalizing reboot...
Reboot attempt fails!!!
Defaults to lula :whoohoo:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#4 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

Sorry Boo, didn't mean to fry your brains. I forgot you have a slow processor. lol

There have been a lot of experiments done with ESP. The results are somewhat dissapointing. This is a subject which science take a little more seriously though. Most scientists like most of us have had a deja-vu or other seemingly sixth sense experience.

Moon I'm sure you have plenty to add.

Through history of man we have developed communication both verbal and none verbal, this was neccesary to procreate and team up with others to hunt the large game. We soon dicsovered a village could satisfy our needs better than one individual could. In our early history there were a lot of dangers to us. We developed an early warning system to increase our chance of survival. This was hardwired into our lizard brain.

There are still a lot of dangers to us out there. You never know when someone or something means to cause you harm, or do you?

Everything we are, everything we have become is because of the basic survival instincts. We learned it is easier to live in a community. We learned to follow our prey which made us nomads. We learned that certain plants could be used for medicine. The majority of us were hunters, warriors and explorers.

We had to have food to survive, we had to know the terrain our food was on so we could find the easiest and safest method of capturing it. We did a lot of exploring and observing. We also had to protect our selves from neighboring tribes. When food was plentiful we even traded with the other tribes, when food was scarce it was kill or be killed in the competition for survival.

We learned to take clues from nature, I think, just like other animals, we can sense an earthquake or a fire before it actually reaches us. In todays society I think we tend to disregard those warnings.

I don't want to cause anymore information overload, lol. So I'll try to be brief.

My opinion is Medicine men were born out of the fact that they were more sensitive to natures clues than most. Warriors and hunters would glady feed and protect them so they didn't have to worry about hunting or security, in exchange the medicine men gave good information about where to find the prey, or when it was time to move on. The medicine men having "free" time on their hands were able to delve into some of the mysteries of the universe which of course they readily shared with their community members. Daily observation made them think everything had a begining and an end. Hence if the world had a begining, then someone or something must have started it. Religion was born.

If you believe the History channel, we all started out in Africa as one tribe. We flourished and split into other tribes, we continued to communicate and trade with the other tribes and herbs were of great importance. Some of the herbs would cause hallucinations or visions. It is easy to see how the entire mankind would have some sort of religious beliefs. As our nomadic nature separated the tribes and the generations passed it is easy to see why we have so many different religions today.

This is about ESP.

When we lost contact with our fellow tribes our non verbal skills diminshed between the different tribes. We did keep non verbal communication within our own tribe. Now that we have populated the entire world and are once again becoming one big tribe we are relearning non verbal communications.

I do not think we need herbs to see visions. I think the ability is hardwired into our lizard brain, this is why we do not think consiously about them but have them anyway. We can develop them like someone who loses sight will have their other senses more developed.

I think deja-vu is two people communicating non verbally. You have been here before because you are tapping into someones thoughts who has been there.

The hair rising on your neck and arms are warning signals. Your body is sensing something isn't right.

Dreams are another important source of information. If you go to sleep hungry you may dream about a big roasted chicken. If you go to sleep warm and fed you may dream about a tropical beach. I think I have dreamed about everything imaginable including impending disasters which appear to have come true.

Bottom line is we know so relatively little about the human mind (or the afterlife) it would be unwise to rule anything out.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

Dave de Evad :), okay over the past few years, I have come to a solid conclusion based onmy life's experiences that mind do infact can make or break. There are some unforseen force at work, when we start to believe in a certain way or the other. The emotions are directly responsible for the thoughts you generate, which affects the reality it creates for you. That is the power of mind. I am also linking it to the "religious" beliefs that I have, which is also linked to the theory of Holographic Universe which I believe in. According to the Holographic Universe theory, any particle on any part of the universe can instantly communicate with any other particle, no matter howmuchfar they are. This is because every particle of the univers contains the complete universe within, just like hologram. Scientists these days are also working on the hypothesis of the Holographic Brain, which works under the same principles. I don't want to get into the religious aspect here, but intrestingly the same concept is what the particular religion I believe in propogates.

That apart, I have personal experience where I could "think" into someone else's thoughts. Talking about paranormal too, I believe it is all that happens all around, perhaps on a different plane, and if we can tune in to our own mind, the answers are more easily reachable.
Posted Image

#6 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

I have drawn no real conclusions about the way the universe works.

It is pretty mind boggling. :clap:

In another thread on ULF it hits on some of the things I was talking about here. ULF and other frequencies are where we get our "6th" sense from. In my opinion. I beleive everyone has the capability but most of us have "forgotten" the language. It is like a morse code and if we don't know how to decipher it we can't put it to any use. But if we relearn how how to interpret it we can gain some useful information.

Again this is just my opinion. ;)

#7 TiffanySEOP

TiffanySEOP

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

I find everything about ESP fascinating! I just wanted to share something that happened to me, while at the CPRI conference in VA.

My sister, daughter, and myself, went to a lecture on remote viewing. They had us all sit spaced out from each other. We were told to concentrate on the picture that was inside a sealed envelope, and draw what we got from it. The first time, both myself and my sister, drew the same thing (a series of strange shapes and lines) but didn't come close to matching anything inside the envelope. This happened to us twice more, and on the 3rd attempt, there was a person who was sent outside the room to concentrate on something that they were seeing. This last time, not only did we get it right, but my daughter was also correct.

We found it quite humerous, as this sort of thing happens to us often enough to be considered "normal" to us. I really believe that people who are very close, can sense or see the thoughts or emotions of each other. That is why I have no difficulty in believing stories of relatives "knowing" something of someone close to them, even if they are hundreds of miles apart.

#8 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

too deep for me sorry :clap: :Wall: :Wall:
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#9 Paranormal_pi

Paranormal_pi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

We found it quite humerous, as this sort of thing happens to us often enough to be considered "normal" to us. I really believe that people who are very close, can sense or see the thoughts or emotions of each other. That is why I have no difficulty in believing stories of relatives "knowing" something of someone close to them, even if they are hundreds of miles apart.

Absolutly...Distances have no effects on connecting spiritually to someone who is far away. Specially if that person mean something to you. I have posted on my site some of my experiences..here's the Link below to my Strange Experiences page :

http://www.angelfire...xperiences.html

Edited by Paranormal_pi, 20 August 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#10 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:42 AM

Very good and thought provoking post, Evad. I agree with some of it, and disagree with other parts. Where I agree with you especially is on the brain as a computer model. Obviously it shouldn't be taken literally, but I do see us as having a basic CPU with operating system and then various programs that we run. These programs generally get run so often in some people that they darn near become hard wired. Racism can be a good example. There's no real logical reason for it, but if the "racism program" is installed in a child early on and continually reinforced, it becomes hard to change. You can make all the arguments you want, but the person running that program can't shut it down under normal circumstances.

So how does one change programming? Timothy Leary and others believed that the psychedelic experience could allow us to break down our old programming and install new programs. You seemed to be on a similar track in your post. And yes, this apparently can be done without the use of herbs, drugs, and whatnot. Supposedly some forms of eastern meditation and western ritual magick have the same results. It can be hard work doing things without the "herbs", but at least you don't have to worry about being thrown in jail for it (yet). There's something similar going on when you look at things like cults or even military training. One is viewed as negative and the other positive, but both are processes whereby an individual's ego is broken down and then reassembled.

As for the psychic stuff, I can't quite follow you to that point. I do believe that when we've achieved all the basic things in the ol' "heirarchy of needs" that Maslow put together (pretty much what you said about food and shelter and so on) it's a lot easier to focus on deeper issues. And I definitely think people can hone their senses, sharpen their intuition, and increase their degree of empathy. Just not to the degree of literal psychic abilities like telepathy and clairvoyance. I don't state that definitively, but until I see better evidence I remain doubtful that we can develop our mind power to quite that extent. As you yourself said, the evidence for psychic abilities at present is "somewhat dissapointing". But again, great post.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users