microphone for EVPs?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, computers, trains...

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Being new at this (see my post in the welcome board) I've on;y tried a few EVPs so far.

I tried doing a few last weekend here in my living room (my mother passed away 1.5 years ago, and her ashes are here), using my PC's sounds card (Sound Blaster Audigy 2) and the mic on my headset with the 20db+ turned on and the volume for it turned all the way up on the control panel for the sound card.

I did pick up what I believe is a faint voice. And I emailed to one of the paranormal groups, they quickly replied, but said they didn't hear anything, and the the noise level was very high.

I tried a couple other mics I have, one on another headset, the other an old Radio Shack one (the runs on a single AAA) but both of them had trouble picking up even my own voice unless right up close.

So I'm looking for other options for recoding.. have a cassette recorder with a build in mic that may work, also and old 8mm video camera.. the tape heads are bad, but the camera and mic build it it still work last I checked.

I'd love to be able to go out a but a but recorded, but my current lack of employment prevent that..

So I'm just looking for suggestion or feedback on my rambling about this..
KentLondon, Ontario

#2 cotton08

cotton08

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi Kent.

I use a handheld, but I don't like to hold it in my hand because even your finger moving can sound like you caught something.

I did a session a long time ago with a boombox and got a scream and a heartbeat. A regular, normal human heartbeat that went on for quite a while.

EVPs are not human voices, so they can be picked up on most anything, but I don't get into the technical part of all this, but other folks on here do, and my computer takes a paleantologist to keep it running but that's just my experience.

#3 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hey Kent

To be honest there are many different ways of recording EVP, and its doesnt really depend on any type of equipment.

People tend to use digital voice recorders, so they can easily move the audio to PC to review, and the fact they dont have any mechanical gear inside to make noise interference.

Using a PC and mic is fine. But it may be worth looking for an inexpensive omni-directional microphone rather than a standard PC one.

Analogue cassette recorders can yeild good results too, however you are best using an external mic with this also.

In a recent study, a digital audio recorder was left in a room right beside an analogue one with an external mic.

The digi recorder picked up some 'sounds' that the analogue didnt and vice versa.

To be honest its just luck of the draw. However keep trying and you should get the results your looking for no matter what medium you use.

There is an article in on PSI (in the sig) where I decribe different methods of EVP, this might help you. I'd also be interested in hearing any you capture if you wouldnt object.

Hope this helps you buddy.

Jim

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

You are corrrect in that there is no one method that is right. I have used both electret and dynamic mics, as well as even inductive pick-ups and have gotten suspected EVPs on all of them. It almost seems as though there may actually be different methods emplyoed at different locations or times. Still researching that one!

In any event, I recommend analog tape for EVPs if cost is an issue. Digital voice recorder have inherent flaws that lead to false EVPs unless you are willing to move into the higher price bracket. ($200 and up.) The noise level on inexpensive cassette is higher than digital but as long as you are not attempting to clean your recordings this is not a major problem. Just be aware that with a basic cassette only those EVPs that are loud enough to overcome the background hiss should be considered.

Later after you move up to better equipment, you will find the better gear has a much lower noise floor and is more sensitive for fainter sounds. But it is a trade-off. to get this level of quality requires spending more money on equipment. There is no short cut, you get what you pay for.

#5 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the replies :)

I do have an old ghetto blaster that can record, assuming it still works.. I guess thye aren't called that any more..

When I'm out tomorrow, I'll poke around and see what I can find for mics. (making sure teh store has a good return policy)

And I'll go from there...
KentLondon, Ontario

#6 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

There is an article in on PSI (in the sig) where I decribe different methods of EVP, this might help you. I'd also be interested in hearing any you capture if you wouldnt object.

Jim

That should be do-able. The one I saved last weekend is a WAV file so it's big, 8.8 MB. I'll see if i have something to convert it to a high quality MP3, or would that make moice even worse?
KentLondon, Ontario

#7 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Jim

That should be do-able. The one I saved last weekend is a WAV file so it's big, 8.8 MB. I'll see if i have something to convert it to a high quality MP3, or would that make moice even worse?

If you can zip it or rar it and send it over that'll be fine. At least that way it can keep its original recording quality.

If got a lot of post-processing software here so I can pick bits out, and convert to an .mp3 whilst keeping quality if you like.

PM me if you'd like my email address

Jimbo

#8 drflavio309

drflavio309

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Jim

most of the windows media players have an audio converter in them... you just have to look into the settings....just a thought....

the dr.

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

WAV or BWF are the only accepted formats for transfering original EVP recordings since no compression is applied. Don't reduce sample rates either. This aumes the original is also in WAV or BWF. If the original is analog you can go direct to WAV on your computer but keep the sample rate high.

Now if you are only transfering so people on a forum can listen to your recording and not use it for in-depth analysis, MP3 is fine. But the compression applied will render it unusable for full spectrum analysis.

Don't attempt to clean or in any way alter the original. If someone listening wants to apply some filtering to clarify it for them they can do so while listening. That way the original is still unaltered for future work.

#10 Kent

Kent

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

WAV or BWF are the only accepted formats for transfering original EVP recordings since no compression is applied. Don't reduce sample rates either. This aumes the original is also in WAV or BWF. If the original is analog you can go direct to WAV on your computer but keep the sample rate high.

Now if you are only transfering so people on a forum can listen to your recording and not use it for in-depth analysis, MP3 is fine. But the compression applied will render it unusable for full spectrum analysis.

Don't attempt to clean or in any way alter the original. If someone listening wants to apply some filtering to clarify it for them they can do so while listening. That way the original is still unaltered for future work.

THanks for the input.. I will stick to WAVs, since I'm using the sound software that came with my Sound Blaster Audigy and it fully supports that.

I just got a PM back from PSI-Jim who I gave a copy to to review, he heard a faint whisper, but couldn't make it out. So I'm going to try again with a cassette recorder this time and see how that turns out.

I'm not a big MP3 fan myself.. even for music, I turn the rate up well above what most people do.
KentLondon, Ontario

#11 cotton08

cotton08

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

A couple of things I do when doing a session is:

I never touch the handheld, mic or anything.

I record 4 minutes on average, but then I'm not always staring at the clock.

I invite them to come IN LOVE AND PEACE.

I tell them sometimes that there's a red light on my recorder if that helps them focus/see.

I like to leave the recorder alone in a room, but if I do do a questioning session, or if I am involved in the recording, if a car goes by or I hear a bird or anything at all, I'll say out loud "car", "bird", that little trick has saved me tons of time, because on evp, these things can REALLY sound like something on playback, especially a large truck going by.

I always show great respect for what I'm doing and let the show be theirs, not mine.

If I do get a nasty evp, which I do, I delete/erase them immediately. Homey don't play dat.

#12 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

A couple of things I do when doing a session is:

I never touch the handheld, mic or anything.

I record 4 minutes on average, but then I'm not always staring at the clock.

I invite them to come IN LOVE AND PEACE.

I tell them sometimes that there's a red light on my recorder if that helps them focus/see.

I like to leave the recorder alone in a room, but if I do do a questioning session, or if I am involved in the recording, if a car goes by or I hear a bird or anything at all, I'll say out loud "car", "bird", that little trick has saved me tons of time, because on evp, these things can REALLY sound like something on playback, especially a large truck going by.

I always show great respect for what I'm doing and let the show be theirs, not mine.

If I do get a nasty evp, which I do, I delete/erase them immediately. Homey don't play dat.

I agree, good advice. But the longer you do it, you'll find your own comfortable method.

Its also a good idea to not only try different types of recorders, but at also at different times of the day.

Some also say its a good idea to have a faint 'white noise' in the background that can be picked up by the recorder, but not too loud you cant hear what you might be catching.

This could be anything from an un-tuned radio's 'hiss' or running water. The extra sound waves and frequency waves help spirits manifest a voice. I would try running water, and leave a nearby tap on if you can, as one of the main theories is that running water can help fuel activity. So with this your killin two birds with one stone.

Jim

#13 cotton08

cotton08

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I do water sessions, too, forgot about that - I don't care for water sessions because I've gotten a lot of false positives with water.

A friend of mine uses white noise from the tv and gets good results. There's software you can BUY with white noise, specifically designed for EVP sessions. Geez.

#14 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

I use no noise source at all. One reason for the use of quality equipment is its low noise characteristics which result in improved signal to noise ratio on your recording. This allows you to hear much fainter sounds clearly with no alteration. With that in mind why would you introduce noise then have to remove it later?

I do sessions about 15 - 20 minutes at a time. I begin by simply monitoring for any activity with no interaction. After about 5 minutes I will begin asking questions or commenting. After 5 minutes or so of this type of activity I again go quiet to listen for anything. This usually ends a session unless I intend to do any provoking. (Seldom, but sometimes a situation may warrant it). A provoking session would be done here, if no activity was noted earlier, adding to the length of the current session. I woul also reserve any provoking till the last session of the investigation if I did it at all.

#15 cotton08

cotton08

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

I prefer total silence, too. My friend that uses white noise also does ITC, and boy, does she get some crazy pictures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users