• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

All right...figured that i might as well try this one out and see what you guys can come up with for me.....you guys uncovered some good stuff on michael ross that i had not been able to find maybe it might work for this too......we all know this story....elisabeth palmiter....lived by the green lady cemetery also known as the seventh day baptist also known as the burlington cemetery or something along that line.....she had gone out got stuck in the pond swamp lake or other body of water and eventually drown either because her husband could not or would not save her.........what does everyone know about this and anything that you dig up would be most helpful.......

Also what does everyone think about the story......think its haunted....i definitly do...it also carries over to the field that is located on the same road........let me know what you all think................. ;) B) B) :D
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#2 grendel

grendel

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:22 AM

THE PRESENCE OF a benign and beautiful female ghost haunting the town cemetery in rural Burlington has been verified not only by the many area residents who have sighted her in the past thirty years, but also by Ed and Lorraine Warren of Monroe, Connecticut's best-known and most indefatigable ghost hunters. Known throughout the Avon-Burlington-Simsbury region as the "Green Lady of Burlington," this restless spirit always appears in the form of a greenish mist, but with a well-defined body and a soft, pretty face lighted by an enigmatic smile.
Perhaps because of her generally happy features, quiet ways and non-threatening actions, stories about the Green Lady usually contain some imaginative explanation of her continuing presence in the town cemetery and speculation about her identity. Also, because she may be Connecticut's most boring ghost, her legends are almost always endowed by the story-teller with elements of violence or catastrophe, using motifs well-known by folklorists to "migrate" from one supernatural legend to another. So far as they can be reasonably established, however, her identity and motivations remain a total mystery. She just materializes unexpectedly, glows green for a time, smiles her sweet smile and then disappears.

Like most ghost stories, tales of the Green Lady of Burlington are most prominent in the legend repertoire of young people ranging in age, say, from early adolescence through the mid-twenties. This age group has been both active in seeking out the ghostly figure in green and in passing along accounts of her appearances. The versions of the Green Lady legend printed below were all told about twelve years ago by a student at Eastern Connecticut State College (now University), who, in characteristic fashion, was not an eyewitness to any of the things recorded in the stories. Rather, he had heard them from others and then tried to repeat what he had heard as accurately as possible.

The legends are set down here exactly as the student informant tape-recorded them, because with all their grammatical slips, digressions, repetitions, abrupt shifts in subject matter and gaps in continuity, they illustrate well the style of oral story-telling. In short, they reveal what legends really sound like at the point of transmission, before some writer has intervened to pretty them up for a reading audience. Even so, a reader of these verbatim transcripts should be able to get to know the Green Lady of Burlington and to sense the fun of immediate participation in the traditional lore she has inspired.

This is a story that concerns a lot of the people around Burlington, Connecticut. I don't live too far from there. I live in Simsbury. Most of the people around the area know the whole story. People have kept clippings, newspaper clippings, about it, since this has been going on a hundred years now. It happens at a gravesite in Burlington. It's near a dump and it's in the backwoods. It's a well-known place to go. It's closed off now. The police patrol the area and they have a fence around it, and people that are caught in the graveyard were persecuted [sic] by the police department. Of course, with so many deaths in the graveyard and people getting killed, murdered and so forth, they had to close it off for security sake. I've been down there about twice.

The story that I've heard is that the lady who used to live near the graveyard -- and this happened in the 1800s -- was drowned. There's a swamp or small lake near a house there (or a pond) and she was drowned mysteriously. I don't know if her husband had done it or someone in the area. Supposedly on her grave, she does have some remarks, but I don't quite remember what they were. Something about if you disturb her grave, she will haunt you, or whatever. She'll haunt you until she comes back -- or something like that.

But she is supposed to be green. It was a swamp area and when she had risen from the swamp, she was covered with this green slime. It looks like a green mist. Kids have been in there. There's a house right next to where she used to live. There's no lights of course. It's a back road. It's a small cemetery. And there's a story, if you were caught around her grave, something will happen. Quite a few people have seen her.

* * * * * There's numerous stories about the graveyard and this is just a story about what happened to two or three kids -- two kids, as a matter of fact -- that were in the graveyard. They were playing around the graveyard and they got startled and scared. There's two huge oaks in front of the graveyard and you can drive your car into the graveyard. They drove their car in the graveyard and they must have gotten so scared they didn't know what they were doing, apparently, and hit one of the oaks and they were killed instantly.

* * * * * The house is right near the graveyard that she [the Green Lady] used to live in and if you pass near there, there's her portrait in the window! There's only one light on in the house and that's a light on the portrait. Of course, they never have the shade [drawn]. The shades are always open and the picture may be seen from the road. She was buried right near the swamp.

* * * * * This story concerns the Green Lady, also. My brother was in there [the graveyard] once. It was about midnight or afterwards. It was in the early morning. He was in the graveyard with some of his friends. Out of nowhere a guy, apparently, with a lantern had chased them from the graveyard, screaming. Of course, they didn't wait to find out what did happen. But they did run. That, of course, is an unknown story, too. It may have been her husband or someone. I don't know. He has supposedly gone, like, mad. Also, if you bring a girl with you into the cemetery, the precaution you 're supposed to take is to cut the girl's fingernails beforehand, 'cause the Green Lady may possess her body and turn on you. And this is also another story that goes along with her.

So, there are some of the things that they say about the Green Lady of Burlington. Just remember, if you ever chance to be driving along that back road in Burlington by the town cemetery and see a lighted portrait in a window of the house nearby, don't turn in at the graveyard before clipping your fingernails. And if you do happen to come face to face with the misty-green ghost, watch out for those oaks when you leave. After all, the lady really means no harm.

This was copied from the website :

http://www.curbstone...cfm?webpage=111
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#3 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:36 AM

I have also read that site......thanks for the posting.....

There is no documentation on the husband ever going mad i believe that people over time have come to make that variation up for some unknown reason....mostly because of the fact that people have been known to chase you out of there(mostly males.....)i beleive that is where that stems from.....i myself have been chased out of there.....it also used to be a gathering site for the kkk as i know it to be so it is a dangerous place to go or once was, i do not know if they still hold meetings there anymore......in my opinion and due to my experiences this is where most of the murders have come from.....of course i can not hold that as a 100% fact.....but i have seen enough to make me pretty sure of this fact....i am in no way stating this is true of all the kkk members perhaps just these few......

The green lady is in no way a harmful spirit and in no way is it true about the females having to clip their fingernails in the uncanny case that they go mad and decide to do something vicious.....i myself am a female and still have not gone mad to this day.....

As for going by her grave you wil not go mad.....no one has ever gone mad in the whole time that her grave has been there......she may do something bad if you where to maybe do something destructive to her grave or stone that rests there.....but of course i dont know that to be 100% neither.....

As for the house with the portrait....i have never seen this or heard that version neither so i am not sure where they get that from neither.......and they do infact close the shades as do most people in the world......

And i am not sure about the driving in part neither.....there is a small rock wall that surrounds the cemetery and i believe that there is something that blocks part of the entrance and i am pretty sure that you can not drive a car in there.....also this sits on a little dirt road and they would have not been able to get enough speed up to actually die from an impact resulting from hitting a tree....although they are right they are big oaks but i dont believe that they sit next to the entrance i know that there are 2 or 3 in the cemetery itself but they would not be able to hit one due to the stones and the grassy uphill terrain to reach one of them......

Other than that.....she does appear as a green mist but i have never really seen here take a very good human form as i have seen her myself a couple of times but all accounts are different and i would love it if someone that has seen her also would write about their own experiences in this forum.......also the field that adjoins it on the road also holds some form of paranormal activity as well i am not sure the signifigance but i have seen the shadows of many people in there on one occasion but when you blink they would disappear and if you blink again they would come right back....my brother who was also in the car saw this as well.......

Let me know of anything else you guys come up with and any first hand experiences you guy got.....

:) :D B)
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#4 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

[B][COLOR=red][SIZE=7][FONT=Times]

For the definitive story and history of the Green Lady Cemetery (from the Seventh Day Baptist Church beginnings to the full true story of the haunting) click on this link!

http://drazor1.tripod.com/

#5 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

I'd like to visit there
Posted Image

#6 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

id have to say that that site was no more informative than most of anyone else that i know it did not give the definite story as to what had happen but a lot of could bes once again...please be careful when posting that someone knows for sure what the full story is......thanks for the help though.....if you find anything that tells the true story that has some evidence behind please be sure to post it......

Thanks again.

:purplebounce: :redbounce: :yellowbounce: :bluebounce: :brownbounce: :bluebounce: :purplebounce: :redbounce: :bluebounce: :brownbounce: :yellowbounce: :bluebounce: :brownbounce:

#7 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:48 PM

CoolChick:

Just so you are aware, the site DOES give the entire definitive history of the Green Lady Cemetery. If you read carefully, you would notice that the initial page regarding some of the information about the cemetery lists first-hand accounts by team members of GHOST; however, the description also states that there is so much information about the history that it requires a separate page. You can access that page by clicking on the link provided. It brings you to the entire history about the cemetery and its occupants who founded the Seventh Day Baptist Church. For the record, I am extremely careful about the postings that I make regarding information of this sort, as I am a stickler for real history as opposed to hearsay. As you can see by the site, GHOST members do not post feelings or dark photographs . . . only fact. Also, there is a large number of mistakes that are pointed out on this site that help to clear up some of the preposterous and overblown myths regarding the Green Lady Cemetery. Unfortunately, many people don't like the truth because it's oftentimes less exciting than the lies.

#8 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

Just to follow up, as you may not find the proper site links:

The site with the first-hand experience is:

http://drazor1.tripod.com/id5.html

And the site with the definitive history of the cemetery is:

http://drazor1.tripod.com/id24.html

By the way, the photos of the Lady in the Tree have NEVER BEEN PUBLISHED ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE . . . EVER! This is an exclusive!

#9 Brian76

Brian76

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Actual Real History of Haunted Places, not the hear-say of places like the Shadowlands..

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

Hello, I was just reading along on your question about the green lady cemetery. Years ago I was on a mission to find out the true story of the green lady, and I've been studying the story for over 15 years now. I'm not what you call a ghost hunter but more a history buff. I love history especially Connecticut history and a good ghost as well. I've been to the green lady many times over the years, I donít really go anymore, but much to most people's disappointment, most of what you hear about this history is totally off.

My interest in this story really got started when I attended a seminar of Ed and Lorraine Warren at the Bristol Radisson Inn back in 91. At the end of the seminar when they had their Q&A I brought up the story of the green lady and there comments were to the effect of ďYes the Place was haunted, but they didnít believe in the old story that someone died in the swamp.Ē That it was ďMore likely what people have brought there over the years that may have caused the haunting.Ē This is what sent me into looking for this actual story, did someone die here or was killed? I wanted to find the real historical story rather than listen to the storyís told by locals who say theyíve been there, and that the green lady is real.

First let me say that Iím not saying itís not haunted, but over the years now more and more, I tend to agree what the Warrens originally told me. The sources of my research consisted of the Burlington Public Library, Burlingtonís town historian Leonard Alderman, and various articles and books. Finally in 2002 I turned over what I found out about green lady over to John P. over at PSI. John seemed to be a very good ghost hunter and a lot better at web site design than I, but feel free to check out the research articles.

www.geocities.com/dviper1978/investigation07.html

But to sum up the story of the Green Lady, there is none. If you look around green lady at the end of Upson Rd. what stands there is an old Boy Scout Camp. The camp has been closed since the early 80ís late 70ís. When you research Green Lady (really the 7th day Baptist cemetery) youíll find that the Green Lady story really started around the time the camp opened. Then you have to put 2 & 2 together. What do boy scouts really like to do around a campfire while roasting marshmallows? Now put into the fact that the camp was built next to a 17th-18th century graveyard. Then it should all come together. Nothing like a good story, but thatís all it wasÖ

And to Grendel , the story you got from curbstone was a story originally written in a book called Legendary Connecticut by David E. Philips which was more of a folklore book if anything. This book is a very bad source to use and should not be considered as actual historical fact because Mr. Philips never really looked for actual historical fact, he was more interested in selling the book and used a lot of 2nd and 3rd hand stories.

And as far as Elisabeth palmiter is concerned. She was just a member of the 7th day Baptist church. The only reason why she is used is because her grave is the only one that hasnít been kicked over or destroyed since the cemetery has been turned into a supernatural gathering place.
Barry Dillingerís web site is also a good source to use in the 7th Day Baptistís cemeteryís research: http://drazor1.tripod.com

#10 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

CoolChick:

Just so you are aware, the site DOES give the entire definitive history of the Green Lady Cemetery.  If you read carefully, you would notice that the initial page regarding some of the information about the cemetery lists first-hand accounts by team members of GHOST; however, the description also states that there is so much information about the history that it requires a separate page.  You can access that page by clicking on the link provided.  It brings you to the entire history about the cemetery and its occupants who founded the Seventh Day Baptist Church.  For the record, I am extremely careful about the postings that I make regarding information of this sort, as I am a stickler for real history as opposed to hearsay.  As you can see by the site, GHOST members do not post feelings or dark photographs . . . only fact.  Also, there is a large number of mistakes that are pointed out on this site that help to clear up some of the preposterous and overblown myths regarding the Green Lady Cemetery.  Unfortunately, many people don't like the truth because it's oftentimes less exciting than the lies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im referring to the fact that you do not have a derinite story as to why this may be haunted......you say that she could have drowned in the swamp that her husband could not or would not save her and and so on....this is not definitive......thats what i refer to.....if you had said that she had died by drowning and had the proof than that would be definitive......the rest of the site is good though i like that you point out some of the wrong facts (that i had already pointed out)and seemed to have did a very thourough investigation..........im just disappointed as to not have found any more info than what i know already....... When it comes to the paranormal you have to be prepared to be critiqued by all sides.......i was under the assumption that you knew the story so just be careful next time.........

BRIAN76: Thanks for the info that helps out a little bit to bring in some more history about that area......the funny thing is that the first time i visited Green Lady i went there with my good friend Brian, my brother and my other friend John just as a joke one night, more out of boredom than anything.....we did have one hell of an experience there though......i had borrowed my sisters car that night and had ventured down there about 12 or so.......we were by the field when one of the guys mentioned that there might be crazy people in the woods, so as a safety feature i decided to hit the power door locks and lock the doors. but to my surprise, the door locks locked and unlocked as soon as i let off the button. trying again and again produced the same result, thinking that they were playing a trick i told them to stop unlocking the doors, and watched as all of there hands went up in the air and the same thing happened as i tried to locked them again......

We got out to the back road and they finally locked.....and we proceeded through coming to the cemetery first......parking we saw nothing out of the normal and decided to go back to the field.......when we sat next to the field though me and my brother both saw a strange thing and noticed that as you stared at the field you could see the shadows of a line of people that strtched across the length of the field standing there but when you blinked they would disappear, and vice versa as you blinked again.....we were about to go home but decided to go back by the cemetery and that is where we ran into another problem there.......you may not believe me but the KKK, they chased us out of there and all the way to Bristol before i lost them......... that started our fascientation(sp?) with Green Lady......we have noticed many things up there wether they are from the Late Elizabeth or not........

#11 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

Cool Chick,

Just a short recap . . . all the information that was listed on my site, as can plainly be seen by a quick visit to the site, is dated November 25th, 2004. Your posts that speak of the erroneous information being put out by others are dated April 3rd, 2005. I understand that you may or may not have known this information prior to my posts here, however, the dates do beg the question, did you receive such information from my website prior to my posts? And if you did not receive this information from my website, where then did you get this information? Because it's plain to me that when I originally wrote the False Claims section of my investigation, I was the first to point out the fact that you could not accelerate to killing speed inside the cemetery, let alone drive into the cemetery. I did an exhaustive search of all the paranormal websites at that time in order to get a better picture of what other people were saying and not one of these sites attempted to debunk any of these claims.

As for taking critiques of my work, I'm all for it. As long as there is some validity behind the critiques . . . some substance . . . I welcome a good critique. Brian has been e-mailing my website for months and we have had a healthy debate about the origins of several sites. If someone comes to me with revealing information, I will most certainly initiate an investigation because I want as much evidence to be brought to light as possible. I have an enormous problem with people who make false claims and don't attempt to back up these claims. For instance (speaking of critiques) where did you come by information about the KKK being in this area? Secondly, when the police and county and township records state that there have been no deaths in this area, how can you claim that there were murders here? Do you have inside information not revealed in your initial claims? And if so, you should contact the authorities, because I believe they'd be interested in such information. And just for the record, the field near the cemetery is a landfill that the local township has been using to dispose of refuse.

As for Elisabeth's headstone, you are aware that this is not her original headstone, nor is it her original resting place? The original stone was destroyed and a new one was erected in the 70s upon a different spot in order to deflect interest from her real burial place. If this is not her original stone, is it still feasible that she is haunting that site? Or is it more feasible that she's haunting her real burial site? I would suggest that you visit both the Burlington Room at the Burlington Library and the Farmington Room at the Farmington Library and look into the actual recorded meetings and notes taken during the time of the Seventh Day Baptist Church. There you'll find information regarding Benjamin's questioning by authorities and they, subsequently, believing him, as well as other information posted (exhaustively) on my website. Be aware that in order for us to have actual definitive proof, we must have historical records that state such. If the records say "would not" or "could not" we can only conjecture about the actual intent by Benjamin Palmiter. If the authorities at that time did not question him further, then there can be no proof. Unless the ghost of Elisabeth comes forward and states one way or the other exactly what occurred in the winter of 1800, no one can be sure what happened. I may not have every single individual answer to questions regarding this mystery, but the story is over 200 years old and you won't find any other website with more information than what Creepy Connecticut offers. Please note that my team GHOST works very hard at getting to the truth. To tell us to "be careful" about what we post is just plain silly. We are nothing but careful about what we post. We do, after all, spend countless hours researching a site and don't ever stop. Each time we find new information, we post it. End of story.

I'll let you know when I know more . . . definitively.

#12 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

I am sorry if i do not have enough validity behind my words for you but i do know a thing or two about green lady cemetery....i still stick behind saying that it is not the definitive story as we all have or own opinions on things as you may know......i was not trying to attack you your organization or your beliefs but merely trying to explain to you that it misleads people as to you knowing the full story and yet all you can say is that Ben found her frozen but he may have murdered her or she merely died of her own stupidity......this is inconclusive to me and not definitive.....you could have merely explained your side of things without talking to me so condescendingly and putting me down as an ignorant human being.......you make valid points but there may be some things that you are just not as knowledgable about......like the KKK meetings......they had been having them for years and not even the state cops would go down that road for anything.......they were posting their meetings online for a long time also.....they were not people to mess with as they were up there fully armed and ready to deal with outsiders that ventured too close...most drove up there on atvs through the trails that surrounded the field that sits there......i dont know what you want me to report as there is no one to condemn for the crimes and no evidence to prosecute with.....thus there is no crime......i do not know how long you have been visiting green lady but it has not been long enough to not know about the kkk.......i did not try to attack you on your findings as you have not realized but try to explain to you about something that was misleading as for all the wrong info on the cemetery, i posted those awhile ago but seeing that the post is gone i brought up another one to see if there was nay new info on the subject......i am sorry that we did not see eye to eye on this level but i do not think that you took the criticism the wrong way and for that i guess i can apologize and hope that you can see that i did not mean anything by it and hope that you can be another of my allies on this site as i am very interested in writing a book about the ct hauntings but only the truth behind them and so forth.....

#13 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

Fair Enough . . .

#14 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:56 PM

im glad that we got that cleared up and that we can get down to the whole point of this site now.......

Any other takers?

:ghost:

;)

#15 Brian76

Brian76

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Actual Real History of Haunted Places, not the hear-say of places like the Shadowlands..

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

You know, Iíve been hearing tales of the kkk inside the Seventh Day Baptist cemetery for years now. Stories similar to yours, that they would chase people out of the cemetery, sometimes with guns, etc. I donít doubt that some strange people tend to hang out here. Are they the actual Klan? That Iím not too sure of. Probably a cult of some sort, or just a bunch of kids masquerading as Klan members. Iíve been to green lady at least 25 times over the last 15 years, never seen someone claming theyíre a Klan member, but have come across a lot of people looking for the green lady. I even see people using a Ouija board there once. Really no one violent. However from what I understand. Before the 70ís the graveyard was once filled with gravestones, kind of like any other, until one day some jackass decided to break almost everyone with a sledgehammer. The remains of the old gravestones are now in the hands of the Burlington Historical Society. So needless to say, this place gets it share of strange people, however the actual Klan in Connecticut? If the Klan was in this area I donít really see them hanging around an old graveyard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users