Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Creepiest Destinations>

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is the World's Creepiest Destination?

Which is the World's Creepiest Destination?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 susmith

susmith

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Photography, hunting, boating, camping

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:04 PM

Which do You pick?
"Those who do not believe are the FIRST to be frightened when something strange occurs"

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

hhmm.. you missed the Chillingham Castle! My vote for Chillingham!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

I would HAVE to say New Orleans. They have a little bit of every kind of ghost, plus voodoo, curses, that building where the Sultan's Harem was massacered, haunted plantations houses, ghostly slaves, above ground cemetaries, the bayous, even vampire sightings (no...not Lestat....lol).

We're going in about a year. <hops> I can't wait!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:14 PM

VampChick, have you just been planning this trip as a vacation? Becasue GV has been thinking about holding next year's convention there, so you HAVE to coordinate your vacation with that!

:lol: :D
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:16 PM

I'll see what I can do...but it's more of a honeymoon, since me and the old man never got one after the wedding. But if we happen to be there at the same time, I'm sure to pop my head in. :lol:

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:32 PM

That would be great! But I understand about the honeymoon, my husband and I have yet to have one either, 3 years....

:lol: :D
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

4 years here...will be 5 by the time we get there. I blame his boss actually....lol.

So I figured not only is New Orleans haunted, its also most romantic. And the hotel I've picked out is both romantic AND haunted! The Dauphine New Orleans.

They have several ghost tours, voodoo tours, cemetary tours and the like there. Nothing like clinging to my big strong hubby while letting the tour guide creep me out!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 susmith

susmith

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Photography, hunting, boating, camping

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

I only hope the tour is a good one! I have been on a few where they were real "Hokey"! Kinda making fun of everything that happened. Guess I was looking for a more serious side to the tour. <_<
"Those who do not believe are the FIRST to be frightened when something strange occurs"

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:30 PM

I get the impression that N.O. takes it's ghosts seriously. I might be wrong, I'll find out when I get there I guess. :)

<dreaming of cafe au lait and begniets>

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:27 PM

Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter is the only way to go, make sure to request extra powdered sugar. :weeee: And dont forget to head over to the Central Grocery on 923 Decatur Street, French Quarter for a muffuletta, another must have.
You will love the area and the sights - natural scenery - the buildings - and even the freaks. If you sit in the Cafe get near the rail on the side with the buildings and just pay attention to the people across the street. You will see some of the strangest things you have ever seen.
Yes New Orleans does take its ghostly history very seriously. But you can find the tours that dont. I wish I could tell you which one to try but since I have never taken a tour I have no idea. In fact I have done very little investigating in the city, I am a good ole country boy ya know. I hope you enjoy your trip, it should be a memory that will last a life time.

As for creepiest place I voted New Orleans, but thats a hard call. I do not consider any hauntings creepy. Some may be strange and New Orleans has its fair share of those and others will down right scare the you know what out of you and again plenty of those here too. For me New Orleans is creepiest due to the voodoo and vampire legends (if they are legends). This is one city that will take your breath away and make you want to stay forever and at the same time it can disgust you and make you never want to come back. It is how you perceive things that will make the difference. Keep an open mind and a tight grip on your wallet.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#11 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:42 PM

I really don't find any of these places creepy to me they are fascinating and makes me want to know more about spirits and ghosts.

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:03 AM

Cafe Du Monde....duly noted in my list of must-gos. Many thanks Cajun!

I'm already in love with N.O., and I've not yet even been in the state of Louisianna! I definitly want to check out the cemetaries...although I understand you are NOT to wander off from the tour group. I've got a list that keeps growing...I hope we can fit it all in one week. :weeee: If not, I'll try to convince my hubby to move there....lol...everytime I've been in the Southern US (Georgia, Florida and South Carolina), folks have been really nice.

The hotel I've picked out (Dauphine Orleans) is also haunted, and I hope we get the Bordello Room (part of an old brothel from the Storyville days, so says the website).

Here's a nice starting point....from the nola.com website, lists haunted tours and the like, along with some of the favourite tales.

http://www.nola.com/haunted/

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

Do me a favor and do not go to nola.com "ghost and monsters" forum and ask about the best haunted tour. You will have a huge argument on your hands that you don't want. BUT you can do a search for tours on the forum and read the responses they have put in the past. I am CajunKnight there also but I rarely post anymore. It is an interesting site to read about the area though. There is also a vampire forum if you're interested. Also you can go to http://www.ghoststudies.com/ and check out the site for local info. This is Kriss Stephens site and she is pretty well versed on the area.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#14 PariahPeace

PariahPeace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:47 PM

New Orleans is so wonderful, and you must go if you have the chance. My husband and I were there during hurricane Frances, and if it was up to me, we would have only returned to Florida to pack a U-Haul and come right back to New Orleans! My husband can't stand the heat and humidity there...visiting is fine for him, but he'd be miserable living there.

We didn't take any tours, but explored by ourselves. I prefer that over tours. A few of the photos I took can be found at http://www.beautiful...ges/neworleans/
Posted Image

#15 CastleBee

CastleBee

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Art, Photography, Traveling, Reading, and Gardening.

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

I also love New Orleans and it would have been a very close second choice. But I chose The Tower of London due to all the untimely deaths that occured there. So much sadness and injustice over so many centuries. :weeee:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."- Ghandi, In Philosophy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users