• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I just read the replies to the poster that asked the best type of tape for recording possible EVP's, and I have a similar question...are certain types/brands of microphones better thatn others when recording to tape or digital? I have some analog equipment, as well as a Zoom H2 and various Olympus digital recorders. Also, I believe my H2 only records in the highest quality setting in a directional pattern. To record in "surround", it records in the second-highest quality setting (still supposedly at least "CD" quality). In most cases, would that be high enough quality for EVP recording?

Thanks!

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

I just read the replies to the poster that asked the best type of tape for recording possible EVP's, and I have a similar question...are certain types/brands of microphones better thatn others when recording to tape or digital? I have some analog equipment, as well as a Zoom H2 and various Olympus digital recorders. Also, I believe my H2 only records in the highest quality setting in a directional pattern. To record in "surround", it records in the second-highest quality setting (still supposedly at least "CD" quality). In most cases, would that be high enough quality for EVP recording?

Thanks!

Regarding microphones, generally there is no difference whether digital or analog is used, considering the preamp stages of all digital recorders are really analog anyway. Digital only refers to the actual recording methods. With that in mind the trick is to match up to the particular characteristics of the input. Most general pupose recorders use high impedence single ended inputs. For that most any high impedence mic will work, generally the more you pay the better the mic. Brands aren't a major factor as long as you stay with a reputable company. Some people have preferences for certain brands based on how they sound, but for EVP whether or not a particular mic is "hotter" on the high end is not a major factor since EVPs are at best not high fidelity!

Regarding types though if you have a low impedence balanced input preamplifier you will get a better quality EVP. However unless you move into high end audio you generally don't get that type of input. Remember the mic has to match the preamp your using! These preamps have better noise figures and are much less inclined to receive stray signals since the balanced input has common mode rejection. In summary if you want good results any type of mic amplifier will work; if you want the best possible, use low impedence balanced input types. (more money though!)

Regarding the H2 and HQ setting, you actually don't want to use any surround sound. While this may sound great with music it does affect the apparent direction of any audio. This would defeat any attempt at spatial analysis. So use the external mics and record in a regular stereo mode. (Directional) This is OK for later analysis. Surround sound actually may introduce artifacts related to phasing into the audio stream. That is how it gives that "center" effect.

#3 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the information, CaveRat! I'll record with the Zoom H2 at the highest quality setting, and not worry about the surround. Thanks again.

#4 martinmotu

martinmotu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

nice post by you :hug: well I would not tesking recommended ghost mart. i placed an order dec 4th from testking 642-524 them the charged my visa card and have not shipped to date many many phone calls and emails never testking CISA answered or returned i had to file a civil case to get my money back...buyer beware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users