• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Just curious as to what everyones opinion is on places that charge to look for ghosts. I've read that a few of the places featured on different tv shows charge money to investigate. I believe someone said that Eastern States Penitentiary charges 500 bucks to spend the night.
Do you think this takes anything away from the validity of a haunted location?
I haven't looked, but do these kinds of places advertise that they've been investigated by the GhostHunters or Paranormal State etc etc?
Would you investigate a location that charges money to do so?

#2 centralmichiganparanormal

centralmichiganparanormal

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

In our opinion if it has hardly any history in the area it is mostly hype. Look at Bran Castle in Transyvannia. They charge to go to the castle because of Vlad the Impaler yet that was not the castle that he dwelled in. Poineri Caslte is indeed his castle. There has been no inclination of a charge for Poineri so that just shows to us that if they are charge the Hype is what causes that charge. People are greedy and looking for a way to make money instead of trying to find the truth. Now there could be truth that there is something going on in a location. Just like there could be truth to some of the As Seen on TV products. I would seriously check out the history of the location before I even thought about paying for an investigation.

Just curious as to what everyones opinion is on places that charge to look for ghosts. I've read that a few of the places featured on different tv shows charge money to investigate. I believe someone said that Eastern States Penitentiary charges 500 bucks to spend the night.
I haven't looked, but do these kinds of places advertise that they've been investigated by the GhostHunters or Paranormal State etc etc?

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Moving this to the General Board, as it is not about a haunting, but more of an ethical question.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 AbbeyGal

AbbeyGal

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

It just depends on the place.

I work at a historic house museum that is extremely haunted. Every other week, we get a request to investigate the place. We don't allow investigations due to security issues (letting a bunch of strangers run around in the dark in rooms full of irreplaceable antiques is not a good idea). However, if we did, there would be a lot of expenses on our end that would occur as a result of that. First of all, it takes up a lot of administrative time to deal with the requests and would be even more so to deal with scheduling, getting signed waivers, etc. Then, you have to have staffing available during the investigation itself. That adds up quickly. I've heard the counter argument that allowing investigations would bring in so much more money in terms of donations and publicity. That's nice in theory, but it doesn't pan out in reality. People have also suggested that the places could get investigation groups to volunteer to run the investigation. Again, that would take up paid staff time to manage the volunteers. For some places, unless they charge for people to investigate there, allowing investigations just isn't financially viable, even if it's only one or two a year.

That said, I am uncomfortable with seeing places charging exorbitant amounts to investigate. However, it is ultimately the investigator's choice to go there or not. Whether or not it is price gouging, no one is going to die from say, not investigating Waverly Hills. One non-profit theater in town actually does charge extremely high rates on purpose just to keep people from bugging them about it. They found that if they said that investigations weren't allowed at all, the investigator would inevitably start going on on about how their group is different and that the place should make an exception for them. If they quote some outrageous fee, that pretty much ends the conversation. And if the group is willing to pay that much, at least it helps make up for the fact that some overworked staff member is going to have to put in even more time to manage it.

OTOH, I also get frustrated when I hear investigators act like it is their God given right to investigate places, and complain about how places that charge for investigations are standing in the way of scientific progress. Baloney. Businesses, non-profits, and individuals all have a right to control access to their properties as they see fit. All it really means is that the investigators will have to spend more time and effort finding less known hauntings and private investigations instead of going to whatever place happened to be featured in the latest paranormal investigation show or is popularly known locally.

I've been to Prospect Place both before and after they were on Ghost Hunters. I have no problem with paying the fee for that. The money goes directly towards restoring the old place, and I have seen a lot of progress on that count over the past several years. I've also gotten some great evidence every single time I've been there. As far as I'm concerned, it's a win-win situation.

#5 Aesalon

Aesalon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

I don't have a problem with paying to investigate a location - especially if the location is an historical site that doesn't have a proper steady stream of income to match the upkeep on the property. (Many local historical museums are floundering financially, and if they do not charge for investigations they may soon be closed to everyone.)

I don't even think that I have much of an issue with private owners cashing in a little - but there is definitely a line that can be crossed. ($500 a night seems a bit excessive.)

-Stephen G.

Co-founder of Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations.

Based in Omaha, NE with a chapter in Dallas /Ft. Worth, TX. FBN is primarily a paranormal research team with a focus on classical 'haunting phenomena.' 

Please visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook...NightParanormal

#6 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

I am all for it, as most have said, when all the funds go directly to the location for upkeep. What I do have issues with are the large pay-per-hunts that TAPS puts on for monetary gain. Sure they are fun for the fans, but they are just full of misinformation and and a way for the stars to make even more money. I've been to two of these things, and wasn;t impressed with the "stars" knowledge" - they don;t say anything that hasn't been said on tv a million times. Then during the actual "investigation" they pretty much walked around for about 1/2 an hour and then disappeared.

I'd recommend anyone who wants to try one out stick to the smaller locations that only charge for upkeep of the place...these are usually smaller in size and will, at the least, be a fun and history rich experience. If you like crowds, missing stars and spending a fortune, try the others. I doubt you'll be impressed.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

I really don't have a real issue with such pay to hunt places provided they don't misrepresent themselves or try to set up fake activities. Also I should point out I seldom do such places either. Realitically, not much of a true investigation can be done if you are in a place with 20 other people, often some you don't even know. So I look at these as a form of entertainment, not true investigations. And who can argue with paying for entertainment? We all do it every day so what makes ghost hunts for a fee any different?

In my opinion a true investiugation would be to approach a location such as AbbeyGal mentioned above that DOESN'T routinely allow such things and make the neccessary arrangements to get in. Of course that likely means you may have to be bonded / insured, be willing to pay any expenses incurred, submit a plan of action, what you want to do, and work with the owners. Of course that rules out many weekend ghost hunting groups, but that is the type location you seek out. I have done so in the past and had success. Therein ies the difference between an investigation and ghost hunting for entertainment.

Of course here we are talking more about the places that routinely open their doors for ghost hunts. For that, pay the fee and have fun!

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

Some good points have been made in this thread. The owners must be able to cover costs - including a deposit in case anything gets broken. The owners have no legal or moral obligation to allow ghost hunters (free or for pay) to investigate. If you feel a place charges too much, don't support them. Vote with your wallet.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#9 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:57 AM

I would have to be convinced that it was really worth it first.

SeekX :ghost:

#10 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

i wouldnt personally pay because i would do it for THEM if a place wanted to know,personally i never put much into if i think other places are haunted.im in no way personally affected by if a large unoccupied building used as a museum or bed and breakfast has any kind of spirit in there.and i dont wish to disprove any of these claims because they might add to the excitement of the people going there.why poop the party? so for me in most cases,not worth it.i thought this was gonna be about YOU charging places to investigate,which is fine given 2 things:1.you dont go crazy with the price,and you do a hell of a thorough job. 2.they accept that putting money down doesnt guarantee any footage of a ghost.

but to answer your question,research first THEN decide.and also take into consideration that you could be let down

#11 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Oh, I don't think I'd ever pay to do an investigation. I was just curious what people's opinions were.

I do have to agree with a couple of you folks up there ^. I think if the money is going towards some type of funding, that's fine.

#12 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

If the government got involved there would be a Department of Paranormal Resources and we would have to purchase a ghost hunting license.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#13 Zack Lemons

Zack Lemons

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:14 AM

Well our group has hard enough time getting gas money for our expeditions. It would be nice to be welcomed where you end up. Mostly we look for places in our area with a history. Sometimes the owners feel it might be worth it, other times they look at us like we just jumped off the crazy train.

So far no one has asked us for money. I don't promote barging in or trespassing. Technically there are some cases we have taken pictures without permission. A good example of this is on our video "Bursley Farlow Massacre". We drove out to the Bursley house, knocked on the door and no one was home. Brian and Shane stood out in the driveway recording audio and Vincent took some photos of the house. We would like to return there but we can't keep running 45 miles one way just to meet the owner.

The Farlow property was shut down 25 years ago by the police and the DNR has the property labeled as "contaminated". But none of the neighbors can agree on what contamination is buried on the property. Some say dead bodies still remain behind, others say PBB from Dow. We did go inside the remains of the Farlow house but there are no doors, windows and barely walls remain.

We try our best to get proper permission, while we might be considered by some as trespassers we don't break and enter or vandize to gain entry. I guess I don't mind some one charging a fee for allowing others to access their property. I wouldn't really be interested in looking for ghosts in such places. There are so many places with public access and others who welcome the visit to learn the history of their home.

Zack

#14 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

What about a group that charges to come along on an investigation? Can you legally charge money to take people along on an investigation if you dont own the property?
You have a group and you want to charge to take people into a supposed haunted cemetary and relay the history of it. Is that even legal?

#15 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

What about a group that charges to come along on an investigation? Can you legally charge money to take people along on an investigation if you dont own the property?
You have a group and you want to charge to take people into a supposed haunted cemetary and relay the history of it. Is that even legal?

Generally speaking yes it would be legal provided the owner grants permission for you / your group to be there. From his point of view your paying customers would be a part of your group and you are responsible for them. So make sure you have liability insurance in place to cover your pying guests. And while you're at it, if you are charging you better be running it as a business and paying taxes on the income you receive from this venture. Otherwise your profits could be a tax issue with the government.

Is it worth the aggravation? You'll have to decide that for yourself!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users