The Internet

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

Jason1 DNS Outage Explained - April 7th  Apr 8, 2005 10:26 AM 

Reply    Report Abuse 

To all,

As many of you may already know, last night many of you were affected by a DNS outage that caused Comcast customers to lose connection or to have very slow page loading times. This outage did affect all Comcast markets and our engineers were able to identify and resolve the issue within a few hours. At this time it does not appear that this issue was related to any DOS attacks or virus-related activity.

Some of you were able to switch to non-Comcast DNS server addresses to regain your connection. While it is ok to use these alternate DNS addresses, we do recommend that you switch back to the normal Comcast DNS server entries (i.e. switch back to the "Obtain DNS server addresses automatically" setting) in order to prevent future connection-related issues if any changes are made to these non-Comcast DNS servers.

Comcast does apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced as a result of this outage and we do thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue

Sure know they tell us. Word from the grape vine is that it isn't over yet.

#17 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:13 AM

Earthlink and SBC Yahoo are both good. :)
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#18 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:44 PM

OMG Sammy, please say it isn't so! It's one thing not too be able to get on GV, but if I can't get my work files out, I am dead in the water.

So I was reading about these work arounds, I guess using different IP addresses. Well, I am on a Mac, and was wondering if I put the different IP address into my TCP/IP box that's called DHCP ID if that would allow me to access the net if Comcast goes out again?

I'm just trying to prepare for the worst! :huh:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#19 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

I forgot to tell you that I gave the computer gremlins your address, Bridget. :weeee:
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#20 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

Icy! You're a meanie! :weeee:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#21 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

I've recalled them.

#22 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Thank you!

:weeee: :D :weeee: :weeee: :weeee: :weeee: :weeee:

#23 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Only cuz you were whining about it. :weeee:

#24 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

10:00 PM Tuesday April 12

Comcast DNS is havein intermitant DNS outages across the us. For those of you who are experienceing this I have a little trick for you. You can redirect your DNS so it does not use Comcasts DNS. I am currently using DNS IP Adresses 66.114.69.151 and 66.114.79.228 .

For MAC
Configuring DNS Servers in Mac OS 7.53 and Later

These instructions apply to all versions of Mac OS 7.5.3 and later. You should only follow these instructions if you are using a Mac that is connected to the Bullseye Telecom network via Ethernet.

1. From the Apple Menu, select Control Panels, then select the TCP/IP control panel.
2. You will only be changing the field labeled "Name server address." In this field, replace any occurrence of the entries 66.114.69.151 and 66.114.79.228
leaving any other entries alone. (or you may have to delete them, write them down first)
3. Once you have made these changes you should close the TCP/IP control panel window. Make sure you save the changes.
4. Test the new domain name servers by running a network application that uses IP (like your browser).

Windows

Configuring DNS Servers in Windows XP

To Configure TCP/IP:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
4. Click Use the following DNS server addresses, and in Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server, type the preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server IP addresses.
66.114.69.151 and 66.114.79.228
5. Click OK
You may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Configuring DNS Servers in Windows 2000

To Configure TCP/IP:

1. Click Start, click Settings, click Network and Dial-up Connections
2. Right click on Local Area Connection, click Properties.
3. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties button.
4. Click Use the following DNS server addresses: 66.114.69.151 and 66.114.79.228
5. Click OK
6. Click OK again.

You may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO WRITE DOWN YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS SO YOU CAN GO BACK WHEN EVERTHING CLEARS UP. AND SAVE THESE IP ADDRESS YOU NEVER KNOW

#25 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Comcast is down again in the Knoxville area!!! Ther service leaves allot to be desired!

I just got off the phone with them and they admitted to me that their DNS servers are down from Arkansas to the East coast. So does anybody here use Knology?

Edited by Sammy_Da_Cat, 13 April 2005 - 08:16 PM.

#26 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

I have Comcast also and they've been so erratic lately. Thanks for the link, Sammy!

It was funny...When I experienced the beginning of the ongoing problem, I called them. They had a message that,yes, they were experiencing problems, and their techs were working on it. I would have been okay with that, except that then the recording supplied a link I could go to access FAQ and chat live with a tech....

...of course, being that no one had Internet access, that would have been pretty much impossible! :huh:
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users