7 replies to this topic

#1 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

What I want to know is.... where is everyone??? I can talk to myself any old time right here at home. I look in on GV and see no conversations going on as if everyone has gone home with ET! What's happening?

You're right of course, I should start one. How about that movie "Cloud Atlas"? Has anyone seen it or have an interest in it at all? Since I don't do movie theatres, I bought the book and will wait for the DVD.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hiya Puti, I am here and check in daily. But many people have been hooked onto Twitter or FaeBook more.
Posted Image

#3 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hiya to you MoonChild!
I know what you say is true. Awhile back when I noticed that GV had slowed way down I thought that was probably the case. I decided against going to Facebook for my own personal reasons. I do have a life other than the computer that I like better. :)
Speaking face to face with my sister, I noticed she had her phone in her lap, and was texting as I spoke with her. I felt like walking out of the room! It made me feel invisible!

All these things..... Facebook, Twitter, and even message boards have taken the place of real human connection.
I know they have their good points like reconnecting with old friends etc. but for some people it takes over their life. Guess that's my rant for the day. I'll go finish my book now.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#4 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi Puti
I check in too, but don't have much to say right now. I think Moonie is right, other distrations take over. I am on FB, but limit my time on there. I still love to read books too.

I have not seen Cloud Atlas.

Edited by Cryscat, 04 December 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#5 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hey there Cryscat. I know that you read.... you've been a help to me a few times. I enjoy your posts.

Can you believe??!? One of my grandchildren suggested to me that I should get on FaceBook and I would know what's going on in everyone's lives! I'm through complaining about it though. I did realize it was the reason for the slow down on GV message board. I look in almost every day though.

The Cloud Atlas book is going slow because of other distractions this month. Guess by the time I finish it it'll be out on DVD. :)

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Agree completely about Facebook, I go there infrequently since it is too hard to keep track of any posting. It's there one day and buried three pages down the next. How can anyone have a discussion under those conditions? Regarding Tweeting, I don't. I faind that totally useless for anything. Why do I care about every stupid little thing someone does? (Hey, I just farted, maybe I'll tweet THAT to the world....)

But I think that is what has happened to forums in general. All of them are way down in posts. Or maybe people are getting of their computers for real life??? NAAA, that ain'r happeneing,

#7 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'm not on twitter either. I have no need to tell the whole world what I am doing every five minutes.

Next book on my reading list : The Good Heart : a Buddhist perspective on the teachings of Jesus / His
Holiness the Dalai Lama ; introduction and Christian annotations by Dom Laurence Freeman

In this landmark book of interreligious dialogue, the Dalai Lama provides an extraordinary Buddhist perspective on the teachings of Jesus, commenting on well-known passages from the four Christian Gospels including the Sermon on the Mount, the parable of the mustard seed, the Resurrection, and others.

I thought it might be interesting to get a buddhist view of the sayings of Jesus.

Caverat -- naw, its smart phones and tablets now....

Edited by Cryscat, 05 December 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#8 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hello!

Due to the fact the my family is spread out we use Facebook to up date our lives and show what has been going on. Twitter I don't bother with. I really don't want to know when someone is in the WC. I've also found that not as many people send out Christmas cards now. I recall my parents getting over 100 cards. I'm lucky if we recieve 15. I really don't like the email card it's not personal. Anyway I noticed the same thing about the site not as active but I suppose we all have other things to do as our lives have changed over the years. I still love this place it's home for me.
Right this way to my haunted space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users