Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

Science Points to a 'Sixth Sense'

Thu Feb 17, 11:47 PM ET Health - HealthDay

By Ed Edelson
HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Feb. 17 (HealthDay News) -- Ever get a gut feeling something just isn't quite right, and make a decision accordingly? Science is beginning to suggest those instincts may have roots deep in the brain.

Research in young volunteers points to some kind of "sixth sense" -- a mechanism in the brain that picks up on subtle clues, then sends out subconscious signals of trouble ahead.

http://story.news.ya...tstoasixthsense
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 Akthra

Akthra

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

It sounds to be more of a learned unconscious response than a true, sixth sense. But then again, I suppose the subconscious and it's reactive learning could be seen as "sixth sense". From what I read, it pointed mostly to a "learning" on a subconscious level similar to how emotions and fears get developed. We may or may not have a conscious awareness of these kinds of things going on.
"Yeah, wouldn't it be great if I was choking on a grape and couldn't answer you?"

#3 thesameones

thesameones

Rude and Crude

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

There is a incident that occured years ago. It has stayed with me, and when subjects like this one arise, I recall it.

My husband and I were traveling on the highway with one of his beater trucks, which is some thing we often did and still do. We were carying a heavy load, which is some thing we often did, and do. This occasion was a little different though. I recall mentioning to my husband that I thought he should slow down, as if we had a blow out with the heavy load it could be bad. My husband did start to slow down. It was a matter of no more than several seconds from the time I had advised him to slow down that we did indeed get a blow out. Although the conditions allowed this to be a likely possibility, the timing would be quite ironic.

Then there is the psychic intimatcy shared by couples. My husband and I are extremely strong in this. At times I can be thinking about some thing so very far out that no one ever would possibly think of it, and my husband will speak and verbalize my thoughts. This happens often, and is a two way thing with us.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is some thing about we human beings that is not completly clear to us which manifests in times of stong emotion and sudden danger.

#4 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

I think Akthra has a valid point when he states that the test subjects were more then likely responding out of a trained unconscious thought. Even when you look at the stories of the indigenous tribes that left for the higher ground before the Tsunami hit it would be more of a conscious thought. People who live so close to nature often learn to read weather signs and act accordingly. I personally can tell when it is going to snow by simply smelling it in the air. I would think the sixth sense would be far below the trained unconscious response. In fact I would go as far to say that the only true way to find it would be to stop thinking all together. Sometimes thoughts just get in the way.

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

...and it is also easier to dismiss everything of this kind with irrational explanations than look into things differently.

It is a known fact that animals do sense seasonal changes and upcoming natural diasasters, and being another animals it is possible for humans too to have this ability - if only our "logical" thinking dont come in the way!
Posted Image

#6 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:53 PM

Interesting article. I actually don't have much of a problem with it on a scientific/skeptical level. The only thing's I'd say are: 1. "Sixth Sense" is more a term used to generate interest by the writer. I kind of doubt that's how the scientists are referring to it, and the phenomenon presented doesn't exactly match with what most people generally think of when hearing that phased. 2. Like many such initial studies, we'll have to wait until subsequent studies are carried out by other scientists. The scientific method requires repeatability before it adopts any new theory. If other scientists do these tests and don't get the same results, it would throw doubt on the initial experiemnts, e.g. perhaps the testing conditions were flawed in the initial test. On the other hand, if the tests are repeated by different scientists and prove successful, then this will have to be taken seriously. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this pans out. I personally tend to think the test may be on to something. I don't believe in "psychic" ability, but this is something different and not at all far fetched in my opinion. See, us skeptics don't shoot everything down.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#7 reticent1

reticent1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Am a single mom and registered nurse. I have a deep passion for music - any and all kinds. Play piano and write music, too. I enjoy pretty much all forms of art. Reading keeps me thinking, and writing poetry keeps me sane. Obviously, i'm interested in the paranormal, but am especially interested in the photographic aspect of paranormal research.

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:21 PM

Well, i don't know about tests and such to prove the point, but throughout the nursing field (and other fields) today, there is a strong emphasis on 'gut instinct'.

Let me share a story to make my point...

A nurse was working SICU, and had a patient that was just not looking right. Vital signs were stable, labs were all normal, but she just had the feeling that something wasn't right. She worked nights, so she called the doc at home to see if he would order some tests or something. He said, "how are his vitals"? She said told him they were normal. He asked,"how are his labs"? She told him. He asked if the patient was uncomfortable or in pain. She said he was sleeping, but that there was just not something right. She told him she thought something was wrong with him, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

The doc said that if he wanted her thoughts on how his patients were doing, he'd call her...then grunted and hung up.

Doc got called back when that patient coded later that night. From that point on, every time he discovers that nurse has any of his patients, he asks her, "so, how do you think they're doing"?

That's gut instinct. And it's utilized, and encouraged to be utilized more and more in the scientific world.
Posted ImagePosted ImageA closed mouth gathers no feet.

#8 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:47 AM

Reticent - That's a good story and a good anecdotal piece of evidence to support your theory. Police officers are also well known for relying on gut instinct. Not sure if what you're talking about quite fits with what the article said, though. They seemed to be talking about people picking up on subtle, subconscious environmental cues. What you're talking about edges a bit closer to "psychic" phenomena.

It's quite possible for your nurse, or anyone else relying on "gut instinct" to have an experience like the one you cited. What we need to know is how many times have her gut instincts been right and how many times have they been wrong? Is the rate of accuracy for "gut instincts" statistically significant, or is it about what we'd expect from chance? That's the only way we can determine if this is a real phenomenon.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#9 Grantara

Grantara

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Defensive shooting training/practice, camping, bicycling, PS2, movies, "Coast To Coast" with George Noory/Art Bell,

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:14 AM

Many times while asleep I am alerted to a sleep-ending stimuli before it actually wakes me up. In other words, I sometimes know that I am going to wake up about a split-second before I do This occurs a hair fraction of a second before I wake.This RARELY happens concerning my alarm clock. If I could only channel this pre-cognitition. It is in dream form. Altough rare, it happens with my alarm clock. I'll have a short dream of horns or bugles....etc....then my alarm clock will go off.

#10 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:25 AM

My opinion on this is that it has a lot to do with clairsentience. That gut feeling you get is clairsentience. That is what it is all about. I have been clairsentinent for years but never realised it. A good example of this for me is that I could be watching tv with my husband and neither of us will be talking just watching, and then I start thinking completely remote stuff and then I just blurt out what I was thinking as the thoughts turn to words and I totallly stun my husband. He just looks at me shocked and wants to know how the hell I knew that is exactly what he was thinking at that very moment while we are watching movie. This is just not a lucky guess, I shock myself at times.When something good is going to happen I get his feeling that is hard to explain. Its like an electric current of excitedness lol. It is a physical feeling that seems to be in my whole body not just my gut. I use to always get it just before I got a letter from my best friend. I can tell a lot about phone calls as well. When its bad news its a different feeling I get before hand right in the pit of my stomach. A sickening feeling.
This is how the nurse would have been. She would have a feeling.
Clairsentience took a different form when I first started investigating. I now get physical feelings from spirit. Right from my very first investigation I was wondering why my hands and only my hands were going ice cold when spirit were near. This would correspond with emf meters and photography. My hands were like little radars. It just wasnt a cold breeze, it was just my hands feeling like I had just put them in an icebox and this happened in summer as well.My hands dont do that now but it has taken another form like the left side of my head feeling crawly . I find this most interesting.

I always know what is up with my dog as well. My dobe and I have a special bond. He just comes and stands in front of me and stares into my eyes. I can tell what it is he wants just by him standing there looking at me. There is nothing different he does but I can tell when he wants to do a pee, has a gut ache or wants me to play with him. No other cue's, just staring.

I embrace this now in my life and in my investigating.

I think a lot of people are clairsentient and just dont realise it.

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

I think a lot of people are clairsentient and just dont realise it.

.... or that they don't acknowledge, or that they don't want to acknowledge! :Spaz:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users