MTV 'Fear'

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:50 AM

Hiya,

Does anyone remember the MTV show 'Fear'? The premise was to take half a dozen 18-24 year olds and give them a series of dares to do stuff in old, abandoned locations, like former prisons and insane asylums. Dares like doing seances, sitting in total darkness and silence for 15 minutes or more, and going alone into the bowels of the locations.

I enjoyed watching the show only because I was safe at home with all the lights on. The poor kids would be strapped up with a camera watching their reactions and a microphone.

One guy had to go into a sanitorium to the attic alone. Supposedly an inmate had hung himself there. The guy was looking around with a flashlight, and you almost got a glimpse of something hanging from the ceiling (probably placed there by MTV but still freaky to see). He high-tailed it out of there.

The show ended a few years ago unfortunately. How far would you go to complete a dare like they had to win a few thousand dollars?

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,530 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

I loved that show...I wish I could have been on that show.
Check out my artwork at: http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

That was a cool program. Use to scare the heck out of me sometimes.
Posted Image

#4 cheercoach05

cheercoach05

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:cheerleading, the supernatural, spending time with my family

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

I loved that show too! Me and my roomate at the time were hooked on it! I always wondered what happened to it? I would love to do something like that...I think. But, it always got me that they would totally freak themselves out and get all worked up about what they had to do. I would try to stay calm, and get it done to have a real experience, not a freak out that was all in my head! :clap:
"I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!" - The Cowardly Lion

#5 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

I think they should bring it back!
Posted Image

#6 twodarb

twodarb

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Well the obvious...paranormal, specifically ghosts, more specifcally EVP's, but first my family, dogs, and walking.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:55 AM

I agree they should bring it back. I loved watching that show.
"I know it and I feel itJust as well as you do, HoneyIt's not our fault if death's in love with us It's not our fault if the reaper holds our hearts""Death Is In Love With Us"~HIM~Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:11 PM

THERE WAS ANOTHER SHOW THAT HAD FAMILIES GO TO HAUNTED PLACES AND THEY PUT THEM IN DIFFERENT ROOM HOODED. IS THAT THE SAME ONE? I CAN'T REMEMBER.
Posted Image

#8 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

I loved the show. I would have loved to have been on it. I have taken such dares but not in as extravagant locations as those.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#9 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

THERE WAS ANOTHER SHOW THAT HAD FAMILIES GO TO HAUNTED PLACES AND THEY PUT THEM IN DIFFERENT ROOM HOODED.  IS THAT THE SAME ONE?  I CAN'T REMEMBER.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The family show was Scariest Places on Earth. Both shows had the same premise. Take a group of people to a creepy destination, feed them with a bunch of untrue stories, and watch their fears multiply to the point of good quality entertainment for the rest of America!
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#10 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:14 AM

Both shows had the same premise. Take a group of people to a creepy destination, feed them with a bunch of untrue stories, and watch their fears multiply to the point of good quality entertainment for the rest of America!

I don't know how much untrue stuff was told on the 'Fear' program. I've read about the locations they chose for their shows on other web sites. Like the plantation that's haunted by the slave girl that poisoned some of the slave owner family in a botched attempt to make herself indespensible.

Any old hospital or insane asylum has enough hauntings, and when you send someone in one alone in the dark... who needs to embellish? The person's imagination will do more damage than most of the entities haunting the location.

There was one 'Fear' show, the one on the battleship, where a gal seemed to be guided through her dares by her spirit guide. I wondered if that wasn't put on by MTV? On that same show I was really creeped out when the kids in the safe room watched on a monitor as a spirit descended on the head of a kid that was doing a dare in the ship's cafeteria. Anyone remember that one?

Which 'Fear' location/show was your favorite?

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#11 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

Both shows had the same premise. Take a group of people to a creepy destination, feed them with a bunch of untrue stories, and watch their fears multiply to the point of good quality entertainment for the rest of America!

I don't know how much untrue stuff was told on the 'Fear' program. I've read about the locations they chose for their shows on other web sites. Like the plantation that's haunted by the slave girl that poisoned some of the slave owner family in a botched attempt to make herself indespensible.

Any old hospital or insane asylum has enough hauntings, and when you send someone in one alone in the dark... who needs to embellish? The person's imagination will do more damage than most of the entities haunting the location.

There was one 'Fear' show, the one on the battleship, where a gal seemed to be guided through her dares by her spirit guide. I wondered if that wasn't put on by MTV? On that same show I was really creeped out when the kids in the safe room watched on a monitor as a spirit descended on the head of a kid that was doing a dare in the ship's cafeteria. Anyone remember that one?

Which 'Fear' location/show was your favorite?

Carlotta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The places were real haunted locations but the stories they told the kids were either embellished or completely made up. The battleship episode (my favorite one) was actually on the aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Hornet. Having spent the night on the Hornett twice and hearing the stories from the crew members about the ghosts and the real facts of who died on the ship and where I can tell you that MTV embellished and lied about the stories attached to the ship. It's really not that scary of place even at night. I had to walk through the hangar bay late at night in the dark and down the corridors to get to my bed after lights out and I wasn't that scared.

Jen
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#12 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Here is a portion of an article in Fate Magazine about reality shows and ghosts written by Parapsychologist Lloyd Auerbach:

FEAR ON THE HORNET

A few weeks ago, I stopped by the USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum in Alameda to pick up some equipment I had lent to a member of the staff. [See my past columns, notably from the October 1999 issue of FATE]. I was greeted with surprise by staff members. They wondered whether I was there for the TV shoot, and who had told me about it. It was MTV's FEAR that was aboard the ship.

You should know that after the first airing of FEAR, I was asked through a couple of third parties if I would be interested in offering their show any assistance. Because of what I knew about that first show, and the very nature of the show --- to cause fear, not to eliminate it --- I declined. So, to me it was no surprise that I hadn't been asked to come down to the Hornet to participate.

I learned that the Hornet's Foundation had been paid for the shoot days, though not enough. I learned that they interviewed a couple of the psychics I knew who had previously been aboard ship, including OPI team member Stache Margaret Murray (who approached me just after I got there wondering why I was "late" --- she'd thought I was to be there). I learned the MTV crew focused their interviews on anything even remotely scary or fear-inducing that had happened aboard the Hornet.

From my own investigations and interviews of witnesses, fear was the last thing the living experienced aboard the Hornet. The ghosts are, with rare exception, friendly and even frisky. The frisky ones can be annoying to the women on board, but not horrifying. FEAR was looking to set things up their way.

I learned a bit more about what to expect from this particular episode of FEAR, which airs in just a few days from the time I'm writing this. I was already afraid for the reputation of the ship, and afraid for how the staff (and the real ghosts) would take this. Then I took a look at MTV's website for the upcoming episode.

If you've seen this particular episode of FEAR by the time you read this, let me assure you that you can believe little other than the fact that the MTV crew did their best to terrify the "contestants." Some of that fear likely came from the team members being taken to an unknown, and very enclosed, space that seems like a maze --- and gets very dark.

But the claims of MTV as to what has been perceived by "psychics" is made up of whole cloth or incredibly exaggerated. Their description of the history of the USS Hornet is not only incorrect, but insulting to the memory of a ship (and crew) that distinguished itself in WWII and after. Accusing the ship's crew of torturing POWs is inexcusable. The dates and description of its decommissioning are incorrect -- the Hornet has only been in it's current location since the late 1990s.

The paranormal claims around the ship are absolutely absurd. There are statements that paranormal investigators and psychics have been aboard the ship since the 1960s and even had horrible experiences. This is untrue -- psychics and investigators have only been on the ship within the last 5 years, and no one's had any fear-involved encounters. The site states that during the restoration of the ship for its current use as a museum, that workers were apparently attacked by the spirits, and one was "hospitalized" as a result --- untrue.

And while the witnesses, staff and volunteers at the Hornet (and the psychics and investigators) believe the spirits are there in both a protective mode and in retirement (to a place with fond memories), MTV tells us that "these are the souls of suffering men cheated out of their lives after spending their final days in hell."

MTV's FEAR is a mixture of game show, "reality show," and horror film. The producers have decided that their "volunteers" be frightened no matter what. They apparently could care less for the telling of the real stories of these locations. As long as fear -- and good ratings -- happens, who cares.

So, does FEAR scare me? You bet. I'm afraid people will start being more fearful of their own ghost encounters. I'm afraid people will believe the worst of places like the USS Hornet. I'm afraid I'll have that much more work cut out for me in trying to educate the public on Parapsychology.

And I'm very afraid this trend will expand.

#13 Central Valley Investigator

Central Valley Investigator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Investigating for about 8 years. Worked with Loyd Auerbach, Stach Murray and few others. Was part of the USS Hornet investigative team.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

I loved that show...I wish I could have been on that show.

Well I was approached by MTV, they aried an episode which took place on the USS Hornet, they contacted me after Loyd Auerbach declined to help with the ships back ground. When I was approached I considered it until I found out how the show really works, they take a basic background on the site then twist it. All things seen on the show were staged, real haunted location, but completely staged. When I was told what they were going to do I was floored, The Hornet is a wonderful place...no evil, nothing scary, nothing could hurt you and twisted it to being an evil place.

Anyhow I personally thought the show was real....I was wrong

#14 Cotton Mather

Cotton Mather

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

It was alright, some of the episodes were kinda lame but a couple were really good.

Actually my favorite part was the theme song, it was quite chilling. Anyone know who did that song?

Edited by Cotton Mather, 09 May 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#15 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

That would be one of my favourite bands, Godsmack "Voodoo" and "Awake" were featured :toilet:

Edited by Willow, 09 May 2006 - 08:16 PM.

Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users