115 replies to this topic

#16 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 28 January 2004 - 07:50 AM

WOW! see now that is scary, was anyone hurt?  Most of the stories I hear are old, as in winding country lanes, someone walking home kinda things... Though,there is one tale that attributes a particular black dog to that of a Highway man, who used to use a black dog to stop the coaches (by getting it to lunge at the drivers throat)

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#17 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

DANG, UNK
I'm glad your Uncle was unhurt. I've never heard of any encounters with barghasts in the US*provided that's what it was*I wonder if its like the banshee and there's a familial or clan link?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#18 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:14 PM

I wonder if they are related to the Irish marsh hounds?

#19 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:46 AM

Spirit...could you go into a bit more detail, please? The marsh hound sounds a bit like the will'o wisps
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#20 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:13 AM

Devil Dogs, Hell Hounds.  I think we've all heard at least a few tales.

Oh boy, here comes a another story from my mission to Brazil...

Brazil has a huge breed of dog - about 4 feet at the shoulder.  The Fila Brasileira is viscious and strong.  You don't want to mess with them.

A large portion of my day as a missionary was to walk the streets and make contacts.  I would clap in front of doors (knocking is rude!), offering free lessons about the gospel.

Anyways, in one particular city my companion and I would walk past this older house with a chain-linked fence.  Inside the courtyard was a massive Fila Brasileira.  This dog would go crazy even when we walked the other side of the street.  Its barking and antics scared us to death, even though the fila was locked up.

Continuing with our route, we would cross a two-mile stretch of mata - wild lands with thick shrubbery and wild animals, but not wild enogh to be jungle.  The trail was narrow and full of twists and turns.  About an hour later we would emerge on the other side.

One particular day, we noticed the dog wasn't in the courtyard.  We thanked heaven for avoiding a heart attack that the barking induced.  As we walked, we saw the fila on the street.  It was barking or anything.  It walked to within a few feet of us then stopped.  I thought it was trying to be friendly so I put out my hand to pet it.  The dog snapped its jaws (thankfully missing my fingers!), but didn't attack.

Scared, my companion and I slowly walked to our first teaching appointment.  The dog followed us and waited outside the house.  Afterward, the dog followed us onto the trail into the mata.  About half way in, the dog started barking and snarling.  Two men jumped out of the bushes, running for their lives.  "Our" fila, however, didn't give chase.

When the barking suddenly stopped, we looked back at the dog - only he wasn't there!

From the next day on, the fila was always in the courtyard, but never barked at us again.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#21 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:18 AM

boy! how I can't stand dogs! no wonder ;D
Posted Image

#22 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:24 AM

DANG!

#23 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:20 PM

unkle, that story about the dog and the big rig is truly scary!  aloha, that's pretty spooky about the dogs in brasil...

hey whispers... yeah, the ravenmockers are gruesome gets aren't they?  heh heh...  

birds of many kinds do indeed play a large part in the pantheon of native american myth.  ravens, crows, owls, and eagles in particular figure prominently.
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#24 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:24 PM

Hey, Owlie, I think gollum-like was a great injustice to the
real star of LOTR*c'mon, he was cute in a sneaky and back-stabbing kind of way*

Getting further off the subject, birds seem to hold significance in a lot of cultures, the Egyptians revered hawks and falcons, kinda makes you wonder if there's not a single base myth and everything else is kind of a splinter

#25 parasees

parasees

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:48 PM

there is 3 more names i can think of:-
Padfoot, Yorkshire uk
Pooka, Ireland
Bogey Beast, Lancashire

I lived in the uk most of my life,but resently moved to canada.
anyhow, i had to drive everyday threw a village called Copplestone.
There had been stories of the black dog there in copplestone so i did a bit of digging myself.

At Copplestone,Store i was was told by several local people that the Black Dog had often been seen near the Cross, actually a squared granite pillar some fourteen feet high, inscribed with Celtic symbols and known to date from before the sixth century.
It is in the centre of a junction where three roads meet.
From Copplestone the road is accompanied by an ancient lane which runs into the cross-roads at the hill-top village of Down St Mary, where there is an ancient Saxon church.

Their was also another story.i'll put on the next post.

:)

:D
Edmonton Strange PhenomenaVisit Our Website.http://www.espgroup.org

#26 parasees

parasees

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:52 PM

hello again

part 2.
One of the legends is that a local man who was regularly haunted by a black dog got so fed up with the ghost that he chased it with a pole into the roof of his house.
The dog escaped but his pole disturbed a pile of coins that fell out of the roof.
The man used the coins to build the inn, calling it the Black Dog after the ghost.

The dog is said to look quite normal in the distance, but as it gets nearer to you it becomes enormous, enveloping you and suddenly disappearing. It is said that some local people will not venture down this lane at night.

here is another picture of the Inn.

Black Dog Inn  Uplyme, Dorset, England

#27 parasees

parasees

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:01 PM

i have done a lot of research into these dogs. if you would like to know more please e-mail me.

andy

#28 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 03:51 AM

Spirit...could you go into a bit more detail, please? The marsh hound sounds a bit like the will'o wisps

I t might be.

#29 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 10:49 AM

[glow=blue,2,300][move]Hi, Parasees and welcome to GV[/move][/glow]

Thankee, young Sir and Copplestone sounds like a fascinating
place, Pookah I've heard of but was always kind of unclear on the legend...whether they were a clan cursed by Danu for breaking an oath or unseelie fae???

Thanks, Spirit

#30 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:34 PM

Did somebody refer to someone as revering Hawks?  Egyptians, man, they got taste!!!

I wanna go to England soooooo bad!  I could spend a good afternoon in the Black Dog Inn.  

Never got any feelings about dogs.  Just one little dog my best friend had when we were growing up in Los Alamos.  It was a mean spirited (pun!) little dog.  Hated that dog.  Normally love dogs.  But hated that dog!
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users