Vado HD camera modified for ghost hunting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cdesigns

cdesigns

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hi everyone, I have been looking for a small HD camera for ghost hunting and decided to take apart some of my cameras and remove the filters that came with it and experiment recording in dark areas.

I removed the ir filter from this cameras (vado hd 1st Gen, kodak zi6, zi8, sony webbie, bloggie), and the winner was the Vado HD, it picks up the IR light very nicelly. and you can buy this cameras for around $70 new and they come with 8GB of internal memory. They have a wide lens on it and resolution is sharp.

I did a test comparing the VADO HD 1st gen and my iphone 4 , both recording at 720p @30fps, the vado without the filter is excellent in pitch black conditions with only a small IR lamp, in the video I'm using the CCTV camera IR lights as the IR source.

I know is very sensitive in this camera now but I havent tested UV yet.

Just wanted to share my test in this cameras. The modification is very simple.

#2 cdesigns

cdesigns

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

Here is a video of the vado hd recording during the day

#3 TheGRIMSociety

TheGRIMSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

That seems to have worked really well! Love the song (is my ringtone...lol) and the adorable star of the video in the other room!

#4 cdesigns

cdesigns

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

That seems to have worked really well! Love the song (is my ringtone...lol) and the adorable star of the video in the other room!

Yeah when I saw my daughter in the camera I got scared because I didnt heard her running on that room, the camera works very well and its cheap.

#5 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi everyone, I have been looking for a small HD camera for ghost hunting and decided to take apart some of my cameras and remove the filters that came with it and experiment recording in dark areas.

I removed the ir filter from this cameras (vado hd 1st Gen, kodak zi6, zi8, sony webbie, bloggie), and the winner was the Vado HD, it picks up the IR light very nicelly. and you can buy this cameras for around $70 new and they come with 8GB of internal memory. They have a wide lens on it and resolution is sharp.

I did a test comparing the VADO HD 1st gen and my iphone 4 , both recording at 720p @30fps, the vado without the filter is excellent in pitch black conditions with only a small IR lamp, in the video I'm using the CCTV camera IR lights as the IR source.

I know is very sensitive in this camera now but I havent tested UV

Excellent video! Did you replace the filter with any other type of filter, or just remove it?

#6 cdesigns

cdesigns

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Excellent video! Did you replace the filter with any other type of filter, or just remove it?

I just removed the filter wich is located on the lens, I tried this mod in similar HD cameras and the vado is the only one that provided nice night vision. When you remove the filter you have to adjust the focus also.

#7 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

I just removed the filter wich is located on the lens, I tried this mod in similar HD cameras and the vado is the only one that provided nice night vision. When you remove the filter you have to adjust the focus also.

Sorry for all the questions, but when you say that "you have to adjust the focus", do you mean while taking the video, or is that something that has to be done during the modification? If so, how? Thanks!

#8 cdesigns

cdesigns

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

Sorry for all the questions, but when you say that "you have to adjust the focus", do you mean while taking the video, or is that something that has to be done during the modification? If so, how? Thanks!

The lens base is hold on with 2 screws, once you remove those screws you will the the image sensor and on the lens you will see a "BB" size round rainbow filter, you have to remove this filter with a little needle or sharp knife, then you have to put the lens base back and turn the camera on and adjust the focus before closing the camera.

When you remove the filter it comes out of focus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users